Beware...dengue fever

My daughter visiting from Australia,ended up with dengue fever.Just be aware it's around.She visited the waterfalls near Nathon,this is the only place I can put it down too, jungle walk.

Spending your holiday in hospital is no fun.

Symptoms , High fever 3 ....4 days, She thought it was the flu.

Edited by Rooo

My daughter visiting from Australia,ended up with dengue fever.Just be aware it's around.She visited the waterfalls near Nathon,this is the only place I can put it down too, jungle walk.

Are you sure it was dengue ?? 3-4 days.......only hmm.........I had dengue 17 years ago ( at Hadrin ) lasted for a Month.......and I never thourght about a flu, because the symptoms are so different......hope your daughter is OK and thanks for the warning.

Are you sure it was dengue ?? 3-4 days.......only hmm.........I had dengue 17 years ago ( at Hadrin ) lasted for a Month.......and I never thourght about a flu, because the symptoms are so different......hope your daughter is OK and thanks for the warning.

Master, started as flu symptoms. Blood test confirmed it.

Master, started as flu symptoms. Blood test confirmed it.

What I mean is , lethargic,aching body & high fever.

Dengue is not fun at all.

It cannot be treated with antibiotics as its Viral.If the dr has given this then its either not dengue or he/she is providing drugs for the bill.

A simple blood test and classic rash will normally confirm Dengue.

True Dengue will normally leave you flat out for at least ten days plus the second hit if unlucky much longer.

I can compare Dengue to Migrane as such some one gets a bad headache states migrane....a true migrane patient would love to have a bad headache as its not even close.

most Drs here classify any non bacterial infection that causes high fever etc as SE asian virus... :o

There way of saying we can treat symptomaticay but dont really know what it is ,and as you are getting better cant be arsed to find out.

I hope they get better soon

Is there a vaccine for this?

I don't know about vaccine. Treatment is through antibiotics.Classifed as viral infection.

Sorry to hear about your daughter - hope she gets well soon

Dengue is a virus and there are 4 main strains - this season is bad and its classified as epidemic level here in Singapore - front page news today.

I am sorry but whoever said treatment is through antibiotics is talking rubbish - absolutely.

Dengue fever mosquitoes breed in stagnant standing water and are generally more prevalent in urban areas than in rural areas. Here is a HK website on how to eliminate breeding grounds (and what those breeding grounds are.).

The Bangkok Post has an article today stating that Dengue Fever is epidemic in Singapore.

Dengue fever has reached the epidemic level in Singapore for the first time since 2005, prompting health authorities on Wednesday to call for more cooperation among residents.

Cases hit 401 last week, up from 293 the week before, according to the National Environment Agency's (NEA). The number of people struck this year is 2,868, more than double the 1,392 for the corresponding period of 2006.

The antibiotics,were for a lung infection she had. Blood tests have confirmed Dengue fever.She is still in hospital,you guys are right, came out with blotchy skin.Her blood count is not the best ,so they are keeping her in till it stabilises.She is on the mend slowly but surely.

( PS they have run several tests. as the early ones were not 100% indicative.They have all come back positive today)

Edited by Rooo