Roof-mount Bike Rack

Puwa

Anyone know where to buy a bike rack that mounts on the roof of a car? I have asked at a couple of the bike shops around town, but they say have to order them special. I have a trunk-mounted rack, but it's not very convenient and not at all good for the car's finish. Plus, can't open the trunk with rack mounted. Thanks, P

Anyone know where to buy a bike rack that mounts on the roof of a car? I have asked at a couple of the bike shops around town, but they say have to order them special. I have a trunk-mounted rack, but it's not very convenient and not at all good for the car's finish. Plus, can't open the trunk with rack mounted. Thanks, P

Puwa,

have you tried shops that have Carry_boy products? If not mistaken, i have seen some of those by CarryBoy on a couple of cars.

Also Puwa, am thinking of getting a bicycle for climbing up Doi Suthep. Step by step of course, can you recommend a brand for approx 10k - 12k? or is that too low for a starters mountain bike? I biked a lot when a lot younger and had a GT Tequesta while in USA. Also is there a group in chiang mai that does meet for mountain biking?

TB.

Puwa,

have you tried shops that have Carry_boy products? If not mistaken, i have seen some of those by CarryBoy on a couple of cars.

Also Puwa, am thinking of getting a bicycle for climbing up Doi Suthep. Step by step of course, can you recommend a brand for approx 10k - 12k? or is that too low for a starters mountain bike? I biked a lot when a lot younger and had a GT Tequesta while in USA. Also is there a group in chiang mai that does meet for mountain biking?

TB.

Hi Puwa, Hi Tigerbeer, hi everybody...

One of my friends has a roof rack that came with his Zafira, I don't know if it can be adapted to any car roof though... Really neat, safe and easy to use... Only available at Chevrolet ....

About mountain bike brands, I use to have a Challenger that I paid 9.900 bahts, I just changed it for a Gary Fisher Wahoo upgraded with Shimano LX, I like it very much. I suggest you have a look at this website www.probike.co.th , most of these brands are at Jacky's bike shop, not everybody seems to like Jacky, but I have bought 3 bikes from him ( many of my friends also go there...) and have always been satisfied with the service and after sale... Top Gear on Chiangmoi stocks mostly Merida bikes, while Chaitawat ( around Chevrolet dealership, don't know the exact address...) is also a good shop.

Hopes this helps, happy bike hunting...

Phil

Thanks, I'll look for a shop with Carry Boy.

I bought a Trek 4300 at Chaitawat about 18 months ago for just under 10,000B. It has turned out to be a great starter bike, though I am considering some component upgrades now that I have some experience. But the Trek frame is great. There are good brands and good prices all over Chiang Mai--Trek, Gary Fisher, Giant, Merida, GT. The one thing I learned in buying my bike is not to splurge on a flashy bike if you are just getting into riding. You can always replace components or get a hardier bike later if you find that you are a demon on the trails.

I try to ride up Doi Suthep every weekend when I am in town. I'm sure it would be much easier on a road bike, or if I put smoother tires on my mountain bike (add one to the to-do list). I love it, and it's fun seeing the same folks hitting the hill each weekend. Go for it!

Thanks, I'll look for a shop with Carry Boy.

I bought a Trek 4300 at Chaitawat about 18 months ago for just under 10,000B. It has turned out to be a great starter bike, though I am considering some component upgrades now that I have some experience. But the Trek frame is great. There are good brands and good prices all over Chiang Mai--Trek, Gary Fisher, Giant, Merida, GT. The one thing I learned in buying my bike is not to splurge on a flashy bike if you are just getting into riding. You can always replace components or get a hardier bike later if you find that you are a demon on the trails.

I try to ride up Doi Suthep every weekend when I am in town. I'm sure it would be much easier on a road bike, or if I put smoother tires on my mountain bike (add one to the to-do list). I love it, and it's fun seeing the same folks hitting the hill each weekend. Go for it!

puwa,

i was also looking at buying that bike. there is however a promotion for GT avalance at almost 7000baht and seriously considering it.

doi suthep, better to do it in the morning or evenings? they do close entry into the area at 6.00pm?

Hi Tiger, I actually don't know that much about bikes, so I can't say whether you should go for the GT--but the price is attractive. I would say hit Suthep in the morning. If you start climbing by 8 you'll be OK, though I suppose the earlier the better. True, the sun is on your back, but you have all the time in the world. And darkness is no friend of the cyclist on a road like that.