Does a passport name change invalidate visas/extensions of stay ?

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

After you receive your passport in your new name visit this gov.uk site and register to vote. You will be asked about any name changes during the application. This will update your name in the electoral register. Credit reference agencies heavily use the unedited electoral register and will link your old and new name in this way. 

Immediately afterwards you then apply for your driving license. You will need to send the DVLA the original deed poll (which you will receive back).

You then have your two primary pieces of identification, ie passport and driving license. You then contact your bank, credit card company, etc. one by one and change your name on any existing accounts/services. 

This process will automatically update credit reference agency files.

If you enrol your deed poll your current financial providers will not automatically change your name. You have to apply to each provider individually. Here are the requirements from Santander, Capital One and Barclays.

Later, when you apply for a new financial product you will always be asked about previous names you have held.  You will also be required to provide identity documents from list A and list B, which would be your new passport (list A) and your new driving license (list B). Financial institutions will not ask to see your deed poll when opening a new account.

I'm not trying to talk you out of enrolling your deed poll, just pointing out the unenrolled method does work, and that you will be completing exactly the same process regarding your passport, driving license and financial products whether your deed poll is enrolled or unenrolled.

All great information again, and again thanks, re the electoral role, I actually just changed my UK address and registered with the new council with my NEW name, (deed poll not completed yet) and they just accepted it. 

Yep I'm aware they both work and wasn't casting aspersions over the unenrolled route, but weighing up both, enrolled sounded like it would save further 'admin' issues further down the track.

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Women change their  names when they get married. No big deal!

That's actually a different process and easier than someone doing it NOT for marriage reasons. Women can travel on both passports with maiden and marriage names I believe. It's even in a different section on the government website. Lot easier.

On 8/20/2022 at 4:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

The problem would start when entering the country with a new passport and being stamped in with it.

But they now scan all finger prints, though name changed, fingerprints would match instantly with Immigrations database. Isn't it?