Car tested prior to tax renewal at what age?

Wiggy

I’ve been looking around to find out the answer to the above. Some say 6 years, others say 7. For those that say six, the first day you pick it up and/or it was registered, is counted as year one, which kind of makes it 7, if you follow my drift. My question is that I picked up my new car in August 2016 , and the tax expires on September 1st. I feel it’s six years old now, but it’s entering its 7th year so, I’m wondering if I need to get it checked/tested before renewing the tax. TIA for and help/advice. 

8 minutes ago, FrederikKitten said:

"Checking" means paying 200 Baht and they taking a photo that the car was physically there. There is no "checking" of the state of car involved. At least in our Isaan provincial city. Really no big deal if you're worried about that.

About number of years I can't help.

Thanks for the reply. I went through a check many years ago, and they did test the lights, brakes and generally faffed around it. I’m in Bangkok. I guess it is less stringent in some areas. 

My insurance company organises all that for me which is especially useful. No queuing at the land office. All I need do is drive to the test station and they bill the company direct. 

Last visit the tester noticed the paint had worn off the front number plate so he painted it for me at no charge.

My car is eight years old and been tested three times. Perfect every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wiggy, just had mine renewed. Like you I picked the car up new in August 2016. Got the number plate in October 2016. My insurance company just renewed the tax last week to run from 13th. October until next year. Therefore I am assuming the 7 years starts in October 2023. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Last visit the tester noticed the paint had worn off the front number plate so he painted it for me at no charge.

You know this is illegal and you will be fined if the police notice it?

If your the paint has worn of you can get a replacement plate. I received a letter in the post a few months ago, without requesting anything, that I could bring in my plates to exchange for new ones.

Took about 2 weeks all together

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Lots of words to not actually answer the OP !!

1st inspection in on the 7th road tax renewal.... you 8 yr old vehicle has been inspected 3 times?....................... someone has been stooged.

I don't know what stooged means but  my wife tells me the car was only tested twice. Ooops my mistake.

where I am in Chiang Mai the car must be tested from year 6 onwards, viz the first 5 rego renewals there is testing involved, provided the car was brand new when purchased. Obviously this does not apply if you bought the car 2nd hand, it then depends on the age of the vehicle based on it's year of manufacture.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Therefore I am assuming the 7 years starts in October 2023. Hope this helps.

Agree. A car from 2016 completes it's 6th year now. Due for test next year 2023.

7th birthday present ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

My insurance company organises all that for me which is especially useful. No queuing at the land office. All I need do is drive to the test station and they bill the company direct. 

My car is eight years old and been tested three times. Perfect every time.

A couple of points, first test is at 7 years old, 5 for bikes, you are not allowed to paint, touch up a plate, new must be applied for...  ????

1 hour ago, transam said:

A couple of points, first test is at 7 years old, 5 for bikes, you are not allowed to paint, touch up a plate, new must be applied for...  ????

Thank you I didn't know that and neither, it seems, did the tester.

If he did know it I'm sure he would have mentioned it. ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Expat68 said:

For a car it is 7, least that was when mine had to have it done 

During my time in Thailand I had two vehicles and they both had to have their first MOT checks for tax renewal after 7 (SEVEN) years i.e. from their 8th "birthday", then annually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Wiggy, just had mine renewed. Like you I picked the car up new in August 2016. Got the number plate in October 2016. My insurance company just renewed the tax last week to run from 13th. October until next year. Therefore I am assuming the 7 years starts in October 2023. Hope this helps.

Thank you. That helps a lot, as it seems like I won’t need to get it tested this time.

It’s not a big deal, I get it taxed on Sukhumvit and there’s a tax drive-through and test station there. I just want to save some time by not being turned away for the tax in order to get it tested then having to queue again to get it taxed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

During my time in Thailand I had two vehicles and they both had to have their first MOT checks for tax renewal after 7 (SEVEN) years i.e. from their 8th "birthday", then annually.

Thank you. 

7 years.

I looked up a couple of sites in Thai.

One from an insurance company gives an example.

Google translate:

Vehicles registered in 2011 must be inspected for the first time in 2018 (cars that are 7 years old)

Motorcycles registered in 2014 must be inspected for the first time in 2019 (motorcycles that are 5 years old)

All other observances need "explanation".

https://www.hugsinsurance.com/article/annual-vehicle-inspection

• รถจดทะเบียน ปี 2554 ต้องนำรถตรวจสภาพครั้งแรก ปี 2561 (รถยนต์ ที่มีอายุครบ 7 ปี)
  • รถจักรยานยนต์จดทะเบียน ปี 2557 ต้องนำรถตรวจสภาพครั้งแรก ปี 2562 (รถจักรยานยนต์ ที่มีอายุครบ 5 ปี)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You can also pay your tax online through eservice.dlt.go.th 
This has now been extended to vehicles over 7 years old. When you take the car for the MOT, the tester puts the information into the system and you don't need to upload anything from them. You can just pay and you get a tracking number when the DLT post the new tax disc out to you. Worked really well for me.   

I just visited the site. Can I assume it’s only in Thai? No worries if so. Thanks. 

22 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Thanks for the reply. I went through a check many years ago, and they did test the lights, brakes and generally faffed around it. I’m in Bangkok. I guess it is less stringent in some areas. 

I live in Kalasin province and my car licensing is done in Kalasin city. They certainly do a test after a certain age, I think on the 8th anniversary of the licence. The testing centre is just a little way beyond the drive through licensing office. It's pretty basic,  cost 200 baht and didn't take long the last time I did this. Have a younger car now.

• Thanks 1