eco, variable speed pool pumps

yankee99

My pool pump which has lasted 12 years is showing signs of rust cancer. 

Doing some looking i was thinking a variable speed pump might be the way to go. 

Are these available in Thailand any recommendations on brand and where they are sold? 

Thanks 

I have no knowledge, but out of interest I entered 'variable speed pool pump' in Google and I got lots of Thai hits with adverts from Lazada et al. I'm based in Thailand so I get Thai feed from Google. You may have to add Thailand to that search string if your Google feed is still your mother country.

The variable speed pump is usually a normal pump with implemented speed (frequency) converter.  Whether such pump is an easy product available in Thailand? Perhaps more easier - and cheaper - would be to get a normal cheap pump and the frequency converter (suitable for the power input of the pump) to install separately.

Another question is: what advantage (beside the spent money and possibility of more headache with the converter and/or pump/converter) does such a variable speed bring to your pool? Better to use a variable pump time. 

BTW, did you try to see the difference in your pool when pumped 4, 6, 8, 10 hours daily?

17 minutes ago, Saanim said:

The variable speed pump is usually a normal pump with implemented speed (frequency) converter.  Whether such pump is an easy product available in Thailand? Perhaps more easier - and cheaper - would be to get a normal cheap pump and the frequency converter (suitable for the power input of the pump) to install separately.

Another question is: what advantage (beside the spent money and possibility of more headache with the converter and/or pump/converter) does such a variable speed bring to your pool? Better to use a variable pump time. 

BTW, did you try to see the difference in your pool when pumped 4, 6, 8, 10 hours daily?

the advantage if i understand it correctly is they are more efficient at lower speeds saving electricity 

• Thumbs Up 1

The pump is designed for its rated (nominal) speed when the efficiency is the best. The speed is changed by lowering of frequency, reducing the rated 50Hz to a lower value.  Similarly as the pump optimum, also the motor is in its optimum at its rated voltage and rated frequency. 

Then, to these efficiency reductions there is another loss in the frequency converter, he will not change the frequency for free. 

So, where do the savings lay?  And to pay off the increased equipment?

A simple pump driven by a simple motor can run for decades without any care. Will the speed converter live also so long?

3 hours ago, Saanim said:

The pump is designed for its rated (nominal) speed when the efficiency is the best. The speed is changed by lowering of frequency, reducing the rated 50Hz to a lower value.  Similarly as the pump optimum, also the motor is in its optimum at its rated voltage and rated frequency. 

Then, to these efficiency reductions there is another loss in the frequency converter, he will not change the frequency for free. 

So, where do the savings lay?  And to pay off the increased equipment?

A simple pump driven by a simple motor can run for decades without any care. Will the speed converter live also so long?

????????????????

• 4 weeks later...

My question: is there any pool pump famous for its low energy consumption? This seems to be the main feature to me. Everything else nowadays seems to me like simple state-of-the-art technology, same same, most probably made in China if you expect a reasonable price. I also would like a very quiet pump. But nobody seems to care about that.

All the people I asked are recommending Emaux Pool Pumps. Ok quality for a good price. I have an old one (Emaux 220V, 16,5m³/hr) that needs to be changed because of enormous energy consumption. This is the chance to try something new. Thank you for your ideas in advance.

15 hours ago, Alex5211 said:

My question: is there any pool pump famous for its low energy consumption? This seems to be the main feature to me. Everything else nowadays seems to me like simple state-of-the-art technology, same same, most probably made in China if you expect a reasonable price. I also would like a very quiet pump. But nobody seems to care about that.

All the people I asked are recommending Emaux Pool Pumps. Ok quality for a good price. I have an old one (Emaux 220V, 16,5m³/hr) that needs to be changed because of enormous energy consumption. This is the chance to try something new. Thank you for your ideas in advance.

pump-2-679x1024.jpg

SWP POOL PUMP.jpg

3 hours ago, Bagwain said:

I also would like a very quiet pump. But nobody seems to care about that.

Actually, I care about that. My cheap pump is after years still quiet. Not really hearing it when swimming at the other side of pool, 10 m from the pump placed in an open pit half covered from top only.   

Bought many years ago at a pump shop - not a pool shop - for 8,500 Baht, seeing similar offered on Lazada.   

Pump.jpg

On 10/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, Saanim said:

Actually, I care about that. My cheap pump is after years still quiet. Not really hearing it when swimming at the other side of pool, 10 m from the pump placed in an open pit half covered from top only.   

Bought many years ago at a pump shop - not a pool shop - for 8,500 Baht, seeing similar offered on Lazada.   

Pump.jpg

I trust you went to management at the time & complained that they where making a profit selling you equipment which according to you is taboo for a pool shop? ! ????????????