Pattaya Volunteer Police Beat Up Drunken Man After He Attacks An Officer

mcd

A belligerent and drunken man was beaten up by volunteer police after hitting a volunteer police officer. Volunteer police admitted that they overreacted. Both parties compromised and settled their dispute.

On 26 June 2007, at 10.30 AM, Pol.Sub.Lt. Nitthiphum Butr-wong, Banglamung, Chonburi, was notified by Banglamung Hospital, that a male patient had been attacked and requested that the police come to the hospital to investigate. At the hospital, a doctor was dressing the wounds of Mr.Jaroon Chairos, 26. There were bruises on Mr. Jaroon's body as a result of the beating.

Mr. Jaroon said that he is a well-driller. He had received a phone call from his younger brother, Mr. Sayan Chairos, 21, that his brother’s motorbike had been searched and that he had been arrested by a group of almost ten volunteer police in Soi Chaiyapruke 2, Moo 4, Huey Yai, Banglamung. Mr. Jaroon went to meet his brother and found out that his brother was detained. He got angry and claimed that he is a staff member of Nakornrachasima Province. He also challenged the Volunteer Police for firing guns, insulted the officials and punched one of them in the face. The volunteer police became enraged and attacked him. Mr. Jaroon attempted to run away but some volunteer police followed him and beat him up. He went to Banglamung Hospital, the next day, and decided to report the incident to the police.

Two volunteer police officers, Mr. Chokechai Wongthai (37) and Mr. Waradee Srichuey (40) who beat up Mr. Jaroon appeared at the Banglamung Police Station to report to Pol.Col. Sarayut Sagnuan-Phokai, Superintendent. Both volunteer police officers said that Mr. Jaroon was drunk and abusive to the volunteer police. He also challenged the officers over discharging a weapon. They also noticed that Mr. Jaroon was carrying a shoulder bag and were afraid that he might have some kind weapon inside. Police requested to search his bag, but Mr. Jaroon refused and punched the face of one of volunteer police, before running away. Both of the volunteer policemen admitted that they followed Mr. Jaroon and beat him up.

Pol.Col. Sarayut declared that this kind of behavior caused the volunteer police to have a negative image. They had to do their duty, as Mr.Jaroon attacked the police first, but the volunteer police, apparently, overreacted when they beat up Mr.Jaroon. The parties reached a compromise. The volunteer police compensated Mr.Jaroon with two thousand baht and offered him an apology. So, the case is now closed.

News Type : Crime

Story : Kampee

Photo : Kampee

Translater : Sunny T

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000003259

So these are Thai 'volunteer police'?

Something like the old Special Constables that we had in the UK - but going around mob-handed.

Seems like a licence to introduce more protection rackets - the UK 'Specials' went around accompanied by trained, official police officers, one-on-one. The SCs had no power of arrest, but were allowed to question people.

But ten at a time - asking for trouble.

Is this for real? You have a mob going around carrying guns whilst wearing police uniforms and badges who are able to buy their way out of trouble after giving a member of the public a beating. The guy has boot marks on his body. They jumped up and down on him when he was on the floor. It takes a lot of force to leave a clearly visable tread of a boot 24hrs later

Something like the old Special Constables that we had in the UK - but going around mob-handed.

Seems like a licence to introduce more protection rackets - the UK 'Specials' went around accompanied by trained, official police officers, one-on-one. The SCs had no power of arrest, but were allowed to question people.

In the 'Old West' these thugs were called "Lynch Mobs". The same thing applies to those fearless middle-aged Foreign Tourist Police Volunteers ....it's called "Safety in Numbers". Pathological egotists :o

In the 'Old West' these thugs were called "Lynch Mobs". The same thing applies to those fearless middle-aged Foreign Tourist Police Volunteers ....it's called "Safety in Numbers". Pathological egotists :o

Or Vigilantes.

It will soon be even more dangerous to walk the streets - unqualified 'volunteer' police shooting it out with the drug dealers, bag snatchers and beach gamblers, while the real BiB just stand and watch - offering odds on 'Last Man Standing'.

Probably those pillars of society, the motorbike taxi drivers, recently recruited for this militia.

This place is really going to the dogs!!

Yet you continue to live here, i'm sure there are many members who would be quite happy to chip in for a one-way ticket home for you.

Edited by sbk
removed personal details regarding another poster

Special Constables are trained, official police officers and often patrol on their own. They also have exactly the same powers of arrest as a regular officer. The only difference is that they are volunteers and unpaid.

You may be getting slightly confused with the new Police Community Support Officers who have no power of arrest, but are allowed to detain someone for up to 30 minutes.

Special Constables are trained, official police officers and often patrol on their own. They also have exactly the same powers of arrest as a regular officer. The only difference is that they are volunteers and unpaid.

You may be getting slightly confused with the new Police Community Support Officers who have no power of arrest, but are allowed to detain someone for up to 30 minutes.

Then thiings have changed since I left the UK thirty plus years ago.

You are talking about the UK?

I agree on the training, etc., but we had no powers of arrest and were not allowed to patrol on our own (in the late sixties / early seventies).

Agree about the training and so on - but thirty-plus years ago SCs certainly had no power of arrest and did not patrol on their own. (Cambridge, England).

I would say that if he punched anyone in the face first then he deserved to get beat up.

too true, someone punches ya, ya try ya hardest to knock the living daylights out of em, and, they not only deserve it but expect it! as you would!

I had a few run ins in the uk when i was younger and always had a jolly good kicking in a cell or van from a few coppers,but i asked for it, got it and then it was dropped by me and them, just part of growing up!

you might not like police (i dont) but there the first ones we call when theres a problem! and i coundnt do thier job but im glad they do it!

Agree about the training and so on - but thirty-plus years ago SCs certainly had no power of arrest and did not patrol on their own. (Cambridge, England).

I don't know what it was like 30 years ago, but these days Specials definitely have the same powers of arrest as regular officers in the UK. Spent some amusing nights watching some drunk abuse a special about them not having any powers before being cuffed and thrown in the back of the van by them.

http://www.policespecials.com/

I was a SC 25 years ago, and I can assure you we had a power of arrest. The powers of a SC were the same as a regular officer, which I later became. I think you may be getting mixed up with a local directive from Cambridgeshire Force, which maybe instructed their SC's not to arrest. However the law, both after and before the Police and Criminal Evidence Act became law gave SC's the power of arrest just as every citizen has a power of arrest. Why would a SC be deprived of his powers under common law?

The only extra power a police officer has over a citizen is that he can arrest someone if he believes an offence is about to take place. Again a SC has the same power.

I was a SC 25 years ago, and I can assure you we had a power of arrest. The powers of a SC were the same as a regular officer, which I later became. I think you may be getting mixed up with a local directive from Cambridgeshire Force, which maybe instructed their SC's not to arrest. However the law, both after and before the Police and Criminal Evidence Act became law gave SC's the power of arrest just as every citizen has a power of arrest. Why would a SC be deprived of his powers under common law?

The only extra power a police officer has over a citizen is that he can arrest someone if he believes an offence is about to take place. Again a SC has the same power.

Maybe we're getting mixed up between arrest and detention. One can detain someone who has (or is thought to have) committed a crime, but the actual charging of that suspect has to be done through certain legal processes. Joe Citizen has the same rights, as you state.

As an SC I could feel a suspect's collar, say "You're nicked" and take him to the station. But there my work ended - all the paperwork was done by the guys who were paid to do it.

Maybe we're getting mixed up between arrest and detention. One can detain someone who has (or is thought to have) committed a crime, but the actual charging of that suspect has to be done through certain legal processes. Joe Citizen has the same rights, as you state.

As an SC I could feel a suspect's collar, say "You're nicked" and take him to the station. But there my work ended - all the paperwork was done by the guys who were paid to do it.

wcr is correct. Whilst members of the public can make a citizens arrest on anyone who they reasonably suspect to have committed an offence, or are in the process of commiting an offence, constables can also arrest anyone who they reasonably suspect are about to commit an offence. An arrest is merely a lawful detention.

Telling your suspect "you're nicked" is an arrest regardless of who completed the paperwork and charged them.

Reading your post further, they are absolutely nothing like the UK 'specials' then?

I would say that if he punched anyone in the face first then he deserved to get beat up.

Why are they letting volunteers run around with guns ?

Several volunteer tourist police have recently undertaken firearms training and can be authorised to carry them.