New Alcohol Law Won't Deter Tourists : Minister

george

Thai Liquor Laws Won't Deter Tourists, Minister Says

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's proposed liquor restrictions, aimed at reducing alcohol-related diseases, won't drive away tourists, Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla said.

Alcohol-linked illnesses and injuries cost Thailand 500 billion baht ($14.5 billion) a year in medical expenses, and banning alcohol advertising and restricting where it's sold will reduce excessive consumption, Mongkol said.

``Alcohol is one of the main causes of death, not only accidents, but so many related diseases,'' Mongkol said in an interview last week. ``It's a problem in Thailand, from car accidents to crime. We have to control it.''

Tourism revenue would drop by an estimated 10 percent to 720 billion baht this year once new laws are imposed, the Federation of Thai Tourism Associations said in April. Thailand had 13.8 million overseas visitors last year.

Hoteliers and retailers are concerned alcohol-free areas around temples and schools would encroach on popular tourist spots, including areas on Bangkok's Khao San Road, Patong Beach on Phuket island and in the northern city of Chiang Mai, driving tourists to less-regulated destinations outside Thailand.

Existing hotels, bars and shops selling alcohol in areas that face new restrictions will probably be ``allowed to stay where they are, but new shops won't be allowed,'' Mongkol said.

The proposal isn't likely to drive tourists away, he said.

``They can drink in the hotels, at the pool, on the beaches, we will not prohibit that,'' Mongkol said. ``We're only trying to limit drinking in some areas'' and encourage drinking in moderation, he said.

`Sensitive Issues'

Government officials are still discussing ``sensitive issues'' with the industry, Mongkol said. Cabinet approved a bill preventing advertising and further limiting the areas and time for the sale and consumption of alcohol in March.

More than two-thirds of men in Thailand aged between 25 and 49 regularly consume alcohol, compared with one 10t of women in the same age group, according to a 2001 survey of 78,363 households by the National Statistical Office. It found one in five men aged 15 to 19 were regular drinkers.

The National Legislative Assembly, appointed by the military-installed government, is reviewing the draft. Passing it into law has been ``a bit delayed'' by detailed negotiations, he said.

``We don't want new drinkers to get attracted by the advertising or product displays,'' Mongkol said. ``Alcohol should be sold in proper places. We are talking in detail now about the sale times and places.''

About 300,000 retail stores may close in restricted zones, Suwit Kingkaew, an adviser at the Thai Retailer Association, told reporters in April. Some diners and hotels may cut jobs to reflect a slump in sales, said Pavornwan Kulmongkol, chairman of the Thai Restaurant Association. The ban on advertising will hurt sales as brewers are their key business partners, she said.

--Bloomberg 2007-06-27

Existing hotels, bars and shops selling alcohol in areas that face new restrictions will probably be ``allowed to stay where they are, but new shops won't be allowed,'' Mongkol said.

what to say ...........................

Since the country including the urban areas are already flooded with countless temples and a myriad of educational institutes of some kind or another, if these measures were seriously enforced there would hardly be a darned place left to buy a drink - let alone drink one!

There is a private english school near Nana Plaza, so Nana will have to be closed down. The same goes for Patpong etc....

Yet another wonderful idea which will eventually float away.... in the wind.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

The National Legislative Assembly, appointed by the military-installed government, is reviewing the draft. Passing it into law has been ``a bit delayed'' by detailed negotiations, he said.

``We don't want new drinkers to get attracted by the advertising or product displays,'' Mongkol said. ``Alcohol should be sold in proper places. We are talking in detail now about the sale times and places.''

--Bloomberg 2007-06-27

Why is the interim government so busy making laws when they said they took over and promised that would concentrate on getting a fair election going?

I'm all for curbing the serious alcohol issues in this country, but they need to put more energy into getting a democratic election on the books ASAP. The world is watching. :o

--Bloomberg 2007-06-27

Why is the interim government so busy making laws when they said they took over and promised that would concentrate on getting a fair election going?

I'm all for curbing the serious alcohol issues in this country, but they need to put more energy into getting a democratic election on the books ASAP. The world is watching. :o

I think it might be a good idea for the Thai government to set up a "Common Sense" department and all of these new rules and regulations would have to pass through and be approved...Maybe it would stop some of this knee jerk reaction laws that we see..

We all know how things work in Thailand. This is only the tip of the ice berg. Lol the poplulus into a false sense of security by taking small steps to reach your goal. (alchohol free Thailand) Thaksin was very good at this.

Tourists numbers wont be affected (this year) because they simply wont know before their trip. Many will not come again when Kao Sarn Rd. & similar areas become dry zones in a few years time. What's fun about drinking inside your hotel room?

This guy mongkon is a loony on a personal crusade, backed by a small but vocal percetage of Thai citizens. Get a new govt. in soon so we can stop this crud.

Soundman.

Have they not considered selling alcohol to farang only and not Thais throughout the "prohibition" hours of the day? I'm pretty damned sure the gov doesn't care if a farang gets cirrhosis of the liver etc as long as they separate him from his baht !

I mean what good does it do ? I think it is a case of "well we have almost 14 million tourists visiting every year, who cares if we lose a couple - who were probably drunks anyway". :D

:o

Perhaps he should compare Thailand to Malaysia and see what a lack of/high priced booze does to tourism.

Some friends of mine have just been to Samui said that it was much more lively tham Batu Ferrenghi, the tourist area here.

All the people in Samui are saying what a bad low season they are having.

There must be a lesson here. :o

I think it might be a good idea for the Thai government to set up a "Common Sense" department and all of these new rules and regulations would have to pass through and be approved...Maybe it would stop some of this knee jerk reaction laws that we see..

OBVIOUSLY, you don't know your history.

The first crackdown ever instituted was a crackdown on common sense.

I think it worked pretty darn well.

Hmmm.... I was having a bit of trouble with this article, but then the translation hit me:

"We've been having such a big run of success with our 'impossible-to-get-at-any-price' entertainment license extortion scam, that we've decided to make this possible with an even more potentially lucrative 'impossible-to-get-at-any-price' liquor license extortion scam."

I know of respectable venues that have been trying in vain to get entertainment licenses (for live performance, dancing, etc.) for nearly 2 decades. Something comes back wrong with the application (which itself costs money to file) every single time, and they have to pay yet another month's tea money to stay in business with "illegal entertainment" (for example, a jazz trio).

"Steven"

How about this:  I am not a politician and have considered this subject for only 2 minutes.  Hopefully applying common sense.  

1)  To cut back on road deaths -  how about a driving test and enforcement of drink driving laws.  (a driving test - not a colour blindness test!)

2) A public awareness campaign on the affects of overconsumption

3)  Ban on advertising promoting alchohol as part of a lifestyle to the young and impreshionable.

prohibition doesnt work.  Drugs are prohibited full stop - if you prohibited their

consumption during certain times of the day or in certain areas what affect would that have!   PROHIBITION DOESNT WORK!!

How about this: I am not a politician and have considered this subject for only 2 minutes. Hopefully applying common sense.

1) To cut back on road deaths - how about a driving test and enforcement of drink driving laws. (a driving test - not a colour blindness test!)

2) A public awareness campaign on the affects of overconsumption

3) Ban on advertising promoting alchohol as part of a lifestyle to the young and impreshionable.

prohibition doesnt work. Drugs are prohibited full stop - if you prohibited their

consumption during certain times of the day or in certain areas what affect would that have! PROHIBITION DOESNT WORK!!

Prohibition doesn't work?? Hmmm, did you lift that quote from another source or did you think that one up on your own?

Let's see, there are countless murders, rapes, and thieveries occurring every year. I guess the laws banning these must not be working. I've got an idea... let's just scrap the entire law book. Seems like the prohibition of these actions is not working either.

As for your 1-2-3 points above, yes those are all worthy goals that should be implemented. Here's some more thoughts:

4) Enact a law that would make it illegal to have an open container of spirits in the vehicle, regardless if the driver is consuming or not.

5) Ban drinking in public places (e.g. sidewalks, outside mini-marts, etc).

6) Educate Thai people to be more vocal in their government's affairs instead of merely acting like cows that are herded about.

Let me explain 6) for those who find offense at every little thing, including free speech. People, regardless of where they are from, need to stand up and voice their concerns when they see a "wrong". They must be able to offer constructive criticism to make the "wrong" a "right". Without the courage to do this, a person is nothing.

Edited by Gumballl

The article says it won't deter tourist. I don't think it would deter Thai's either. Lao Khao sales will probably go up.

I think drinking and driving will increase because of this law because people have to go farther to drink. Thus, more driving realated deaths in the up-coming year. The cost of health care would remain the same because of the increased number of driving related deaths and injuries.

On one hand, this looks like a good idea. On the other hand, it is an accident waiting to happen.

Hmmm. Maybe bar owners should have been included in the 'war on drugs'. :o

Prostitution, drugs, alcohol has been central to human life for a very long time. Everybody knows it will stay that way. All the huff and puff, past, present and future is just for vote catching.

This Dr. from the Health Department belongs in a mental health facility.

First was his AIDS drugs campaign and taking on big Pharma--not exactly a major inpact on the health side since there are approximately 8,000 people in need of the drugs. Pretty managable price wise for the gov't. (Oh, but the left the VAt tax on those expensive drugs--he didn't seem to want to take that issue on in his crusade).

Second there is his on going battle with alcohol--first, raise the age to 25, then bad ads.

Then he has decided to take cigarettes off the shelves at duty fee shops.

All of these are things which ultimately have little effect on public health. Dr's. aren't usually concerned about advertising. Dr.'s aren't usually concerned about duty free shops.

Meanwhile, dengue fever is at epidemic proportions--see anything being done?

Extremely Drug Resistant TB has been identified and there are people on the lose with it--seen anything being done?

The infant mortality rate is at 23:1000--seen anything being done?

This guy better his priorities straight and his strategies in order and figure out the difference between preventing, treating and preaching.

How about this: I am not a politician and have considered this subject for only 2 minutes. Hopefully applying common sense.

1) To cut back on road deaths - how about a driving test and enforcement of drink driving laws. (a driving test - not a colour blindness test!)

2) A public awareness campaign on the affects of overconsumption

3) Ban on advertising promoting alchohol as part of a lifestyle to the young and impreshionable.

prohibition doesnt work. Drugs are prohibited full stop - if you prohibited their

consumption during certain times of the day or in certain areas what affect would that have! PROHIBITION DOESNT WORK!!

Most of the road deaths are motorcycle riders. Any of these guys could pass a motorcycle riding test if they study when to use the mirrors and turn signals. Then after they pass go back to the way they want to drive. Making the test harder would just increase the number of people that pay tea money to pass. My wife got her first license by paying 500 baht tea money to guarantee she passed. She let that one expire so she had to take another test when I wouldn't let her drive the new car without a license. The examiner allowed her to try and parallel park 6 times before he passed her. She never did pass the actual test but as in the schools it was an automatic pass. Maybe it was because i was standing there watching i don't know but both the examiner and i were laughing at my wifes attempts at parking.

If they are serious about stopping road deaths they should get rid of the little stands on the side of the road that sell shots of whiskey. there are multitudes of these around where thais stop on there way home and get drunk. Three or four glasses of lao khao in quick succession can not do very much for your driving ability.

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's proposed liquor restrictions, aimed at reducing alcohol-related diseases, won't drive away tourists, Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla said.

Alcohol-linked illnesses and injuries cost Thailand 500 billion baht ($14.5 billion) a year in medical expenses, and banning alcohol advertising and restricting where it's sold will reduce excessive consumption, Mongkol said.

``Alcohol is one of the main causes of death, not only accidents, but so many related diseases,'' Mongkol said in an interview last week. ``It's a problem in Thailand, from car accidents to crime. We have to control it.''

Tourism revenue would drop by an estimated 10 percent to 720 billion baht this year once new laws are imposed, the Federation of Thai Tourism Associations said in April. Thailand had 13.8 million overseas visitors last year.

Hoteliers and retailers are concerned alcohol-free areas around temples and schools would encroach on popular tourist spots, including areas on Bangkok's Khao San Road, Patong Beach on Phuket island and in the northern city of Chiang Mai, driving tourists to less-regulated destinations outside Thailand.

The proposal isn't likely to drive tourists away, he said.

``They can drink in the hotels, at the pool, on the beaches, we will not prohibit that,'' Mongkol said. ``We're only trying to limit drinking in some areas'' and encourage drinking in moderation, he said.

`Sensitive Issues'

Government officials are still discussing ``sensitive issues'' with the industry, Mongkol said. Cabinet approved a bill preventing advertising and further limiting the areas and time for the sale and consumption of alcohol in March.

More than two-thirds of men in Thailand aged between 25 and 49 regularly consume alcohol, compared with one 10t of women in the same age group, according to a 2001 survey of 78,363 households by the National Statistical Office. It found one in five men aged 15 to 19 were regular drinkers.

About 300,000 retail stores may close in restricted zones, Suwit Kingkaew, an adviser at the Thai Retailer Association, told reporters in April. Some diners and hotels may cut jobs to reflect a slump in sales, said Pavornwan Kulmongkol, chairman of the Thai Restaurant Association. The ban on advertising will hurt sales as brewers are their key business partners, she said.

--Bloomberg 2007-06-27

They can drink in the hotels, at the pool, on the beaches, we will not prohibit that,'' Mongkol said

But if i see one of them smile, just once, Thats it!

I wonder if that quote will go in the holiday mags back home!!

Alcohol-linked illnesses and injuries cost Thailand 500 billion baht ($14.5 billion) a year in medical expenses

That's about B7,000 for every man, woman, and child in Thailand. That's only the cost in medical expenses. So what does AIDS cost them? and heart disease? and malaria? and dengue fever? and avian flu? and all the other stuff?

Surely this is an inflated figure. Thais pay barely any tax as it is. It's just not realistic.