Plans On New Low-cost Satellite Tv For Thailand

george

Thailand's Shin Plans on Low-Cost Satellite TV

The DTV provider plans to make antennae obsolete, with a goal to sell 2 million satellite dishes by 2009

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Shin Broadband Internet, a subsidiary of Shin Satellite, is offering low-cost household satellite television dishes, and hopes the new business unit would generate 60% of its total revenue this year.

Touted as "the region's cheapest Ku-band satellite TV dish", the DTV product would make TV antennas obsolete, said general manager Tanadit Charoenchan.

"DTV offers a clearer picture over TV antennas and the price is four times cheaper than Cu-band dishes. We expect to sell up to one million dishes by the middle of 2008 and two million in 2009," said Tanadit, who is also the vice-president for finance and accounting of Shin Satellite.

"We expect to realize up to 1.7 billion baht ($53 million) in revenue from the DTV sales by our existing 400 distribution outlets," he said.

Ku-band satellite TV dish systems come with a satellite receiver and a remote control as well as a dish pointing at only one satellite.

Thanadhit said DTV would primarily compete with TV antennas, not pay TV, and would target 17 million Thai households.

DTV would also allow users to send SMS messages from mobile handsets through the set-top box next month.

Shin Broadband is also considering providing WiMAX broadband services through a new company.

--ZDnet 2007-06-27

Why would anyone pay extra 2,000 baht to watch free Thai TV channels - the reception is good enough already.

Or do they mean people can watch all other free satellite TV programs? The market for foreign programs is not that big either.

Why would anyone pay extra 2,000 baht to watch free Thai TV channels - the reception is good enough already.

Or do they mean people can watch all other free satellite TV programs? The market for foreign programs is not that big either.

depends on which satellite the dish is pointed to but this is shin so the satellite might be the thaicom1A and 2 (Ku-band). if you want to see the available channels from these satellites then look them up at lyngsat.com

So nothing else but free to air Thai TV? They put the biggest ever satellite in space and hope to make 60% of income from selling something people have for free?

Have they hired former Elite card executives in their marketing department?

Shin Broadband Launches DTV

Shin Broadband Internet (Thailand) Co., Ltd. (SBI), a subsidiary of Shin Satellite Plc., has announced the launch of a new product named “DTV”. DTV is the Ku-band satellite dish set able to receive free-to-air television programs with no monthly fees with the concept of “An affordable Satellite TV Dish for Every Home”.

The DTV satellite dish set is the lowest cost product in Thailand and in the region, claims SBI. The company also launched the special DTV Fantastic Caravan vans to promote the product in four regions of Thailand. It aims to install up to one million DTV dishes across the country by 2008.

The “DTV” satellite dish uses the lime yellow color to represent liveliness and brightness. The satellite dish can be easily installed by a technician. Viewers no longer need to use the Yagi aerials, which are more expensive and with lower quality signals. According to Shin Broadband’s latest marketing survey, most Thai TV viewers still predominately watch free-to-air channels and do not want to pay monthly fees.

SBI General Manager Tanadit Charoenchan said the company has been developing DTV, a low-cost Ku-band satellite TV dish set, since 2006. “Our aim was to build a very low-cost satellite TV dish set that makes it affordable to all households. The product also is high performance with high signal quality and sharp pictures with brilliant colors. The most important point of all is that there are no monthly charges and viewers can receive all free-to-air Thai TV channels (3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and TITV) with digital quality.”

“At present, there are many frustrated Thai TV viewers with typical Yagi aerials at home having to put up with unclear picture quality. In addition, to set up a high Yagi aerial is quite costly with no guarantee of receiving sharp pictures for all channels. As everyone knows, TV is still the most popular and cheapest form of entertainment. Therefore, Shin Broadband saw an opportunity to find a solution to benefit TV viewers across the country and came up with the DTV product. Our DTV product can receive all free-to-air Thai TV programs directly from the Thaicom satellite in crystal clear digital. Many households, especially in the remote areas, where normally a very high Yagi aerial needs to be erected, will greatly benefit.”

After the launch of DTV, SDI plans to expand its distribution channels into the grass roots in order to cope with the demand. The DTV set costs some $55, excluding installation costs.

Source: SatNews - 27 June 2007

As everyone knows, TV is still the most popular and cheapest form of entertainment.

For 2000 baht I can think of other entertainment that costs a wee bit less.

this is not including installation cost of i think another 2,000+ baht.

You can install a satellite dish and good receiver and watch Thai,English,or European TV.Probably costs between 20,000-40,000 Bath, depending on receivers. Check out Satellite Forums,and get advice for what you want,and who to trust.

I understand what they are saying. It is not a bad idea. I have one of them big satellite dishes that moves. I can already watch free Thai TV using my satellite dish and satellite receiver. There are a lot more Thai channels offered for free than you can find over the airwaves with an antenna.

At present, free Thai TV is on Thaicom 2-5 C-band. To view C-Band you need the big dish. This is the one I watch from time to time.

UBC uses Thaicom 2-5 KU band. To view KU Band you use the small dish. This is the one you have to pay for. It also has Thai TV but the signal is scrambled.

What Shincorp is saying is it will make the Thai TV channels on Thaicom 2-5 KU FTA (Free To Air) channels.

A one time cost of almost 2000 baht will get you a receiver and satellite dish. Installation is extra. After the installation, there are no monthly fees. You turn on your receiver and watch whatever FTA channel is being broadcast by Thaicom 2-5 KU.

This auctually is an excellent money making idea. It can make TV antennas obsolete but it will look strange seeing a satellite dish on every house.

Another positive feature of the Thaicom 2-5 KU band is all the distance learning television stations are also on this satellite and they are FTA channels.

The Distance Learning Television Television stations broadcast classes from select schools in Bangkok for remote areas in Thaiand to study. Now, all of Thailand will have access to these free classes. I believe there is a study plan anyone can sign up for and receive credit for as well. Different levels of different language classes is also avaliable to learn from such is English for Pratom, Mattayom, and University students.

Edited by richard10365

I understand what they are saying. It is not a bad idea. I have one of them big satellite dishes that moves. I can already watch free Thai TV using my satellite dish and satellite receiver. There are a lot more Thai channels offered for free than you can find over the airwaves with an antenna.

At present, free Thai TV is on Thaicom 2-5 C-band. To view C-Band you need the big dish. This is the one I watch from time to time.

UBC uses Thaicom 2-5 KU band. To view KU Band you use the small dish. This is the one you have to pay for. It also has Thai TV but the signal is scrambled.

What Shincorp is saying is it will make the Thai TV channels on Thaicom 2-5 KU FTA (Free To Air) channels.

A one time cost of almost 2000 baht will get you a receiver and satellite dish. Installation is extra. After the installation, there are no monthly fees. You turn on your receiver and watch whatever FTA channel is being broadcast by Thaicom 2-5 KU.

This auctually is an excellent money making idea. It can make TV antennas obsolete but it will look strange seeing a satellite dish on every house.

Another positive feature of the Thaicom 2-5 KU band is all the distance learning television stations are also on this satellite and they are FTA channels.

The Distance Learning Television Television stations broadcast classes from select schools in Bangkok for remote areas in Thaiand to study. Now, all of Thailand will have access to these free classes. I believe there is a study plan anyone can sign up for and receive credit for as well. Different levels of different language classes is also avaliable to learn from such is English for Pratom, Mattayom, and University students.

what about thai language? this is a good idea to learn proper thai.

I feel sure that a few years back any external transmissions were illegal in Malaysia.

Now my local Thai restaurant in Penang has Thai TV.

A pity the food is shitty.

PM me for the location

what about thai language? this is a good idea to learn proper thai.

Hi thai_narak. Although, learning proper Thai would be a good idea for foreigners, these channels are for the benefit of the Thai people. I do believe they're Thai classes on these channels but they're comparable to English classes you would find in your own English speaking country. You can watch these classes but they're completely taught in Thai.

Actually having those channels FTA would be a big help for me.. Means I can have a 2 zone independant system with only 1 UBC sub..

My GF can watch Thai soaps if I want to watch a sport or discovery or something. Currently even tho we have 2 TV zones they are not independant and I dont see enough value in the 500 baht a month extra zone from UBC.