knock someone back

Deserted

How do we say 'to knock someone back' in Thai. I mean let's say you make an offer and someone rejects or refuses it. Or if more to the point I want to make, or rather closer to the context it will be inserted into, if you ask someone out of a date and they say no.

I'm sure there is a phrase in Thai for it but I don't know what it is hence the post. I can find out what 'reject' and 'refuse' mean so please don't post saying that there must be something phrasal or slang based that is used, that's what I am after. 

Thanks for help offered. Anything I discover I shall post. 

3 minutes ago, Deserted said:

Excuse me, this thread was posted for those who can provide an answer and not for those who can't Do you understand that? I don't need the likes of you telling me to go look at google.

You are correct. The phrase is slang and doesn't translate into Thai. My friend is fond of using it in the Philippines, oblivious to the fact that it won't be understood. It needs to be translated into proper English before Thai.

Edited by ozimoron

1 minute ago, Deserted said:

No because my background is linguistics.

And the rest of us don't understand linguistics? I studied Latin, French and speak English, Thai and Tagalog reasonably well. I also studied linguistics as part of a sociology degree.

Edited by ozimoron

Ok apologies but the 'thai language' section has far too many people saying just use google, and its bloody annoying because google is not very reliable, particularly when it comes to phrasal verbs and complex language, in fact its best avoided. I assumed that was obvious. 

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, Deserted said:

Yes, I know but I was looking for something phrasal or slang based.

I missed the part that you were looking for Thai slang so my apologies for that. As a linguist you should be aware that there aren't typically 1 to 1 equivalences for slang between languages. I doubt that Americans would ever us the phrase as part of their normal parlance. Not sure about the English.