Growing mushrooms?

Elkski

At a building supply  store they had what I thought were bags of fully developed mycelium that we could buy and slit the bag and get some fruiting.  It turned out the wife didn't inquire very much or no one in the family knew how to finish.  We had a busy week and this has just sat in a shady spot despite my continued inquiry.  Then it resulted in an argument because wife looked on YouTube and thought this bag was to be used to inoculate a who new substrate of rice husks that we needed to sterilize and prepare.  When I found out this was causing delay I've told her no this bag is fully developed.   

Any directons on what to do with it would be appreciated.   

Back in USA we do lots of mushroom hunting and I did try to grow some .   In dry Utah the procedure is to slit the bag and place it in a clear box with slightly open lid with some water in the bottom and to spray the inside of the box 2-3 times a day  and give it a little indirect day light.    In Thailand I once observed a school where they had a black plastic shack with each wall covered in stacks of bottles and the mushrooms were growing out the bittke top and being harvested by some parents to make money for the school. 

20230105_072835.jpg

Edited by Elkski

Snails love mushrooms. A steep-sided dish with a little beer in it will distract and trap them.

Tried growing them in the states. Very finicky and poor output. You need to put in about 3 years to get the strains going and work through all the mistakes. The bigger the mushroom, the more problems. That's why you see a lot of straw mushrooms in your stirfry.

• Like 1

So do I just pull out the cloth plug and put in semi dark and humid location?

Like many subjects this is causing disagreement with my Thai wife.  She has seen on YouTube where they are growing this type of mushroom out of a basket of straw.  She not believe me that it can grow out of this hole.   It makes me want to never try to teach her anything ever again.

Edited by Elkski
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, youngexpat said:

This is what you need. Already harvested this morning. 1.5 kilos

20230105_080556.jpg

20230105_080615.jpg

20230105_080625.jpg

The one I saw at a school outside of Udon Thanni was 2x bigger and used plastic bottles but was a similar building and I recall they had the door propped open a bit.   

Wife thinks this is a mushroom that needs to be grown in straw in a basket.  She can't understand that I think the mycelium is fully dev6in this bag and it's ready for fruiting.   Yes we could inoculate a basket of straw and then maybe get a bigger harvest but that's not needed and we leave in a week.  Of course we had the bag for at least a week.  Yes I need to learn Thai.  Her family eats almost everything so I assumed they knew what to do with this bag.  I was wrong.  I guess to modern for them. 

Edited by Elkski