New Sub-Decree requires SIM cards to be registered to prevent cybercrime

geovalin

The government has issued a Sub-Decree requiring those who use devices with SIM cards to register their identities in order to prevent cybercrime and theft. The Ministry of Post and Telecommunications (MPT) yesterday announced the new Sub-Decree to protect those who use smart phones, tablets and computers. Everyone has to register SIM cards and only those who stay in the Kingdom for less than 60 days are exempt.

The registration system will record the identity of the owner which is useful if the device is lost or stolen, as the owner can report to the authority who will block the function of the phone, thereby rendering the device useless in the hands of a thief. The owners can turn on the function once they are back in possession of their device.

Hok Arun, 40, a phone shop owner in Kandal province, said yesterday the registration system of the MPT is very important to reduce criminality, as thieves won’t be able to sell the device if it will not function correctly. “As a retailer of phones, I have to check phones carefully when I purchase a used phone or I will lose money if it is a stolen phone,” he said.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501252335/new-sub-decree-requires-sim-cards-to-be-registered-to-prevent-cybercrime/

55460.jpg