Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Good news for colour blind people

kidneyw

I just did my Thai driving license renewal at Nong Chok and the good news is they use coloured lights, as opposed to faded coloured dots on a poster, to check you for colour blindness.

Definitely a lot easier for those so afflicted.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just the opposite ! At least for me. In Chonburi they changed as well to the lights and I could only pass because of the more than considerate person in charge of testing.

Especially the difference between yellow and green is much more harder to detect than on the previous chart with the circles. Red stands out so much that this is always a 100% hit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also the opposite, as had both, thankfully, and actually 3 different color test, dot, light, and lights of peripheral test ???? 

Along w/Brake reaction test. & depth perception test.   Impressive actually.  Should be standard at every DLT center.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Also the opposite, as had both, thankfully, and actually 3 different color test, dot, light, and lights of peripheral test ???? 

Along w/Brake reaction test. & depth perception test.   Impressive actually.  Should be standard at every DLT center.

To be honest, this sounds a lot like a medical checkup. But can you drive after the test ? The answer is "No". I know because I have followed the test of my wife from the very beginning and it was me to a large extent that had to teach her how to drive correctly.

On the opposite, the pratical test for driving in Switzerland is extremely difficult. Takes 2 hours in real traffic, not on a parcour. But back in the 70's when I made my test I do not remember having to do any of the eye examinations that are mandatory here.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

To be honest, this sounds a lot like a medical checkup. But can you drive after the test ? The answer is "No". I know because I have followed the test of my wife from the very beginning and it was me to a large extent that had to teach her how to drive correctly.

On the opposite, the pratical test for driving in Switzerland is extremely difficult. Takes 2 hours in real traffic, not on a parcour. But back in the 70's when I made my test I do not remember having to do any of the eye examinations that are mandatory here.

IF you take and pass the driving test, then yes.   The rest simply comes down to experience, same as anywhere.   I know a few licensed drivers in the USA that I wouldn't drive with or lend my car to.

I'm color blind but I never had a problem with the regular Thai driving color tests.  However, I do have a major problem with the peripheral color test, which while I can see the lights come on, have had extreme difficulty to determine the correct color. 

I would like to ask why this test is important, because for anyone driving normally the only colored traffic lights that matter for you are the traffic lights directly in front of you. Not the traffic lights on your left or right hand side.  Or am I missing something?

On 4/23/2023 at 12:21 PM, Time Traveller said:

I'm color blind but I never had a problem with the regular Thai driving color tests.  However, I do have a major problem with the peripheral color test, which while I can see the lights come on, have had extreme difficulty to determine the correct color. 

I would like to ask why this test is important, because for anyone driving normally the only colored traffic lights that matter for you are the traffic lights directly in front of you. Not the traffic lights on your left or right hand side.  Or am I missing something?

The very worst for any color blind people is the Ishihara Test where you must detect Numbers and letters and symbols hidden in a circle consisting of many different shades of colors. I can hardly see a very little bit whereas for my wive this is like an open book and she recognizes the hidden structures within seconds.

Fortunately they have skipped this test at least at the DLTs I know. The easiest is the big circle with different sizes of green, yellow and red dots in it, then comes the Red Light that was described before and it might be that the peripheral color test is as well difficult. My wife had to do that one and although she could do an Ishihara in a jifffy, she had slight difficulties with the peripheral one.

• Thumbs Up 1