Five men aboard missing Titan sub dead after 'catastrophic implosion'

Social Media

It sounds like they died quickly. If they were very deep there will not be anything of them to recover.

The end parts could be recovered, but for what purpose? Most of the certified mini subs were

certified and people were not bolted in. With multiple dives it would seem that the pressure hull

did not take the extreme pressure. My 2 cents worth.

15 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

YES. Absolutely.

Dead is dead. Nothing to be done now. Not like it's unknown what happened to them. Consider it an honorable burial at sea. The Final Frontier on Earth...or whatever floats your boat. 

..in this case, sinks your boat.

Edited by tandor
typo
  • Haha 1

I am glad that I do not have shares in Ocean Gate company. This mini sub did not get certified

and should not have been allowed to have any passengers. The carbon fiber main section would

likely been a sticking point for certification. Most subs and mini subs are steel or titanium structures

to keep intact. The CEO risked not only his life, but 4 other people made the fatal decision to 

pay a lot of money to get into this sub and go so far below the surface of the ocean. 

RIP to them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having worked for Vickers Oceanics and British Oceanics as a diver and as sub crew on submersibles in the North Sea in the late 70s and early 80s I can tell you there will not be any body parts to find when a submersible implodes at those sort of depths!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

Having worked for Vickers Oceanics and British Oceanics as a diver and as sub crew on submersibles in the North Sea in the late 70s and early 80s I can tell you there will not be any body parts to find when a submersible implodes at those sort of depths!

Just ashes left

This was posted on one of the Submariners pages (thank you to the original author) “What happens when a submarine implodes? When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500 miles per hour - that’s 2,200 feet per second. A modern nuclear submarine’s hull radius is about 33 feet. (Bear in mind the submersible had a hull radius of about 6 ft) So the time required for complete collapse of a full sized military nuclear boat is 20 / 2,200 seconds = about 1 millisecond..... A human brain responds instinctually to stimulus at about 25 milliseconds. Human rational response (sense→reason→act) is at best 150 milliseconds. The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapors. When the hull collapses it behaves like a very large piston on a very large Diesel engine. The air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion. Large blobs of fat (that would be humans) incinerate and are turned to ash and dust quicker than you can blink your eye”