Couple Of Tourist Driving Questions

Hi yall,

new to this forum. i am going to be staying in pattya for a month. i rented a nice house about couple of miles away from the beach. it is very incovient for me to take taxi to and from the beach everyday. i want to rent a car. first off, i only have an american driving license. am i able to rent a car without a thai driving license? second, is it safe for me to drive around pattya? would my car get jacked or would i get jacked while driving? what about the parking situation there?

thanks

oh, if any of you're going to be in pattya during the next time, we can met up for a beer or two.

Hi, You can hire a car with your US license but if all you want to do is just get from your house to the beach take a cab. If you are going to be there for a month hook up with one of the drivers and do a deal. It will be cheaper and if you dont know your way around, or some of the crazy traits of the Thai drivers, safer and quicker. If you decide to rent make sure you get insurance and check the car over before taking it. Hope it helps :o

Hi, You can hire a car with your US license

This may be true, but you can't drive legally with just a US licence, you need an International Driving Permit (IDP) too.

I'd go along with cutting a deal with a taxi driver, take me to the beach at xxAM every day, bring me back at yyPM. Gotta be cheaper than a rental car (and you can drink all you like whilst there) unless you're planning going further afield than just the beach.

Additionally, I'd stick with one of the big-name rental firms, more likely to have maintained, reliable cars, certain to have top level insurance.

> This may be true, but you can't drive legally with just a US licence,

> you need an International Driving Permit (IDP) too.

You can get your IDL from many places, here or from you local AAA. The International Driver's License will normally be the first that you are asked for if you are stopped by the police. If you don't have one a small fine will be the result. The argument about having one or not has been played out on this board a few times before.

Thai roads have police check points in many places outside the city limits, driving around at random you might expect to be stopped once every two weeks or so, it's no big deal; just have your Passport and driving licences with you. If driving down to the beach everyday you are unlikely to be stopped or even see a check point.

> I'd go along with cutting a deal with a taxi driver, take me to the beach at

> xxAM every day, bring me back at yyPM.

A car means personal freedom, if you did such a daily taxi deal - the driver will expect you to travel every day regardless of weather etc etc. Transport in Pattaya / Jomtiem is not a problem. During the day transport is everywhere, at night you might have to wait a few minutes.

Unsure I would like a taxi driver knowing too much about when I was at home or not.

> Gotta be cheaper than a rental car (and you can drink all you like whilst there)

> unless you're planning going further afield than just the beach.

Get a good road map and look in the guide books, drive outside the main Pattaya area.

Quality of driving improves outside city limits, the biggest problem for American drivers is that everything is on the wrong side of the road / car. Drive slowly and don't assume the car in front / behind will act like you would think they will or should.

thanks for all your reply. i am pretty sure a small fine is no problem with me once a while. i bet it is cheaper than a speeding ticket in the states. i just want to have fun and drive around pattaya...maybe i can even pick up couple of cuties with the car. driving on the different side will take a couple of hours to get used to, but as long as i am sober, i doubt it is a problem. i have driven in UK and hong kong before.

do i really need a IDT? can i just bring my passport and my US driving license? thinking about renting a jeep or some off road vehcile because i know thailand country side has some really shitty roads. can't wait to load the car with beer and girls. should be a fun time.

Get an IDP and save yourself the hassle.

What has not been mentioned is that yes.......without one you may get a small fine.....and you are probably going to have to go to the Pattaya police station to pay it.......by motorcy taxi. A needless waste of an hour or so and not worth the hassle.

Thai drivers do not follow logic............ be prepared for the unexpected and ALWAYS be aware of motorcys on your inside and outside. They are all over the place and if you have an accident and a motorcy rider is injured..........you have NO IDP............trust me......you are going to get seriously hammered for compensation for the bike, the injuries, the treatment....the alleged 14 years off work he will say he has to endure all at 2000 baht a day loss of earnings. :o