Thai National Applying For A Credit Card

Hi there,

My Thai girlfriend recently applied to get a Citibank credit card, however she discovered yesterday that her application was unsuccessful (they would not say why).

She has been in a stable job for the last 2 years earning 16k a month (she is a teacher's assistant). She also works part time for another company as a swimming teacher earning around 12k a month. So a total monthly income of around 28-30k a month. She has never had a credit card, so there shouldn't be any negative credit history.

I think she applied for a credit card with her bank (ThaiPanich) about 2 years ago and got declined, would this affect her recent effort?

Any suggestions on how she can obtain a credit card? She is going traveling around Europe in August and would like the security of having a credit card wioth her.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

perhaps AMEX would be an easier bet? Esp their charge cards as they require full repayment each month.

Their offices are on Phaolyothin Rd, just near Aree BTS, on the right hand side heading north towards Jatujak.

Hi there,

My Thai girlfriend recently applied to get a Citibank credit card, however she discovered yesterday that her application was unsuccessful (they would not say why).

She has been in a stable job for the last 2 years earning 16k a month (she is a teacher's assistant). She also works part time for another company as a swimming teacher earning around 12k a month. So a total monthly income of around 28-30k a month. She has never had a credit card, so there shouldn't be any negative credit history.

I think she applied for a credit card with her bank (ThaiPanich) about 2 years ago and got declined, would this affect her recent effort?

Any suggestions on how she can obtain a credit card? She is going traveling around Europe in August and would like the security of having a credit card wioth her.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Dear Ashacat,

Based on her current criteria she should be able to meet the banks requirement.

There can be only one reason and that is she has been blacklisted by the credit bureau.

After the 1997 finanacial crisis in thailand,there were many bad debts.

The govt then set up a credit bureau in order to assist banks and finanacial institution to screen and and have a better data on the applicant's credit history.

Every banks and financial institution will send the data like slow payment or bad payment of any individual customer to the credit bureau for records.

So before the bank processes any loan or credit cards they will check with the Credit bureau for any blacklisted record on the applicants.

These are some example that one can be blacklisted.

Non payment of telephone or cell phone bills.

Non payment or very late payment to finance institutions like car loan,first choice,eon or whatever hire purchase consumer goods.

Past history of bad or slow payment of credit cards or loan.

There are many more but offhands thats about all I can elaborate on.

The most common non payment is usually the cell phone bills.

Other than the above mentioned she should meet the banks requirement easily based on her current income.

Cheers for the relpies guys.

I'm pretty sure that she does not have a bad credit history, (or that she has not "been telling me the truth"???). She is only 23 years old (only about 13 when the crash came!) and we have been living together for about 4 years, in that time she has always been employed and has had a mobile phone contract which is always paid (on time, I think).

It's pretty weird that they turned her down. Perhaps it is something to do with her previous failed attempt?

perhaps AMEX would be an easier bet?

Thanks Samran, I'll look into it.

I'm pretty sure that she does not have a bad credit history, (or that she has not "been telling me the truth"???). She is only 23 years old (only about 13 when the crash came!) and we have been living together for about 4 years, in that time she has always been employed and has had a mobile phone contract which is always paid (on time, I think).

It's pretty weird that they turned her down. Perhaps it is something to do with her previous failed attempt?

Maybe someone at her current or previous address has or had a bad credit history. Not sure about thaiand, but this can be a big negative factor in other countries.

Maybe someone at her current or previous address has or had a bad credit history. Not sure about thaiand, but this can be a big negative factor in other countries.

Maybe she is only paying tax on the 16k, and so therefore this is the only recognised income coming in; I think the minimum is 15k, so she isn't exactly flying past the minimum there.

Could be some blacklist element in the past she hasn't mentioned or has forgotten. Could be multiple applications for things that you don't know about. Or some minor thing she hasn't paid e.g. parking fine/driving offense linked via her ID no.

Usually you can get a copy of a credit report somehow. Can't remember how though.

Or could be her way of applying via an agent; go direct to a bank is better.