Babies And Kids With No Helmets

Hi Forum. Seems like nobody posts much new stuff lately so here be new stuff.

I would like to know what other people think about "mothers" who carry babies and small children on motorcycles with no helmets on the kids head.

I recently met some looney, local Thai kids, nice kids but way-gone-looney. Their parents calmly told me "oh, he fell off his mothers bike when she was parking it when he was one year old" and "oh, she fell off her mothers bike when mum hit another bike".

Me: "where they wearing helmets". Them: "what?". Me: "helmets, were they wearing them". Them: "no, she didn't have one for the kid then".

Um... what is wrong with this picture please? Is the life and brains of a child worth less than the 200 to 300 Baht cost to buy a helmet?

Perhaps they would happily sell me their kids for 300 Baht and I could put 'em to work pickin' bananas? At least they may live longer, eh?

What really kills me is the totally, utterly, completely moronic Farangs who do this. Now and then when I really crack the sihts about this I pull 'em over on the road and offer to purchase their kid/s. They really think I am sick in the head.

I KNOW they ARE sick in the head if they care so little for the life and welfare of their kids.

I have ideas on how to help this problem, especially with the (apparantly) under educated and impoverished "locals".

I'd like to hear some feedback here first before I make definite decisions on possible actions or the lack thereof.

back to y'all now, y'hear?

I would like to know what other people think about "mothers" who carry babies and small children on motorcycles with no helmets on the kids head.

I recently met some looney, local Thai kids, nice kids but way-gone-looney. Their parents calmly told me "oh, he fell off his mothers bike when she was parking it when he was one year old" and "oh, she fell off her mothers bike when mum hit another bike".

Me: "where they wearing helmets". Them: "what?". Me: "helmets, were they wearing them". Them: "no, she didn't have one for the kid then".

Um... what is wrong with this picture please? Is the life and brains of a child worth less than the 200 to 300 Baht cost to buy a helmet?

Perhaps they would happily sell me their kids for 300 Baht and I could put 'em to work pickin' bananas? At least they may live longer, eh?

What really kills me is the totally, utterly, completely moronic Farangs who do this. Now and then when I really crack the sihts about this I pull 'em over on the road and offer to purchase their kid/s. They really think I am sick in the head.

I KNOW they ARE sick in the head if they care so little for the life and welfare of their kids.

I have ideas on how to help this problem, especially with the (apparantly) under educated and impoverished "locals".

I'd like to hear some feedback here first before I make definite decisions on possible actions or the lack thereof.

back to y'all now, y'hear?

.Totally agreed, if this was the UK for example, the Parents would be arrested, jailed and Kids put into care!!!

On another note, most of these journys they do are only 500 metres up the road! Also i no of 3 families who have road transport, but still put there 1 week old babies on the bike!, not to mention the other 3 kids and weekly shop at tesco!!

But there is no excuse for the child not to have a helmet!!!

Police should seriously crack down on this one, instead of worrying about the use of a mobile phone, as per another topic

Totally agree. It anoys me more when it's westerners, they should know better. Often see mother and father with one bike each and children hanging on in various postions .All in shorts and flip flops :D

Another thing which scares me is when westerners push young babies in prams in the road cos they're to lazy to lift up and down the curbs or carry the child :o

I saw a really freaky one yesterday. I was coming home from work and saw a coconut bike up ahead. You know, the old bike, old lady riding, big plastic baskets full of coconuts on each side hanging off a thin strip of bamboo.

As I approached I noticed that the top coconut in each basket had pale coloration and quite a lot of hair.

The bike, which was traveling erratically down the road at about 50 kph, actually had two tiny kids, perhaps 2 years old, actually sitting IN the plastic basket each side.

I just didn't know what to think, I was shocked, had to pull over a bit because I was starting to totally freak out myself.

Forget the cops, forget the so-called "government" or "authorities'... WE need to find a solution to this one.

I have some ideas, does anybody else have some ideas?

All I know is "that really sukcs"

Edited by southbot

I saw a really freaky one yesterday. I was coming home from work and saw a coconut bike up ahead. You know, the old bike, old lady riding, big plastic baskets full of coconuts on each side hanging off a thin strip of bamboo.

As I approached I noticed that the top coconut in each basket had pale coloration and quite a lot of hair.

The bike, which was traveling erratically down the road at about 50 kph, actually had two tiny kids, perhaps 2 years old, actually sitting IN the plastic basket each side.

I just didn't know what to think, I was shocked, had to pull over a bit because I was starting to totally freak out myself.

Forget the cops, forget the so-called "government" or "authorities'... WE need to find a solution to this one.

I have some ideas, does anybody else have some ideas?

All I know is "that really sukcs"

I saw the same lady!!!, the kids must of been about 2-3 years old, in a basket attached to the side of the bike with a bit of string only!!

I was nearly considering calling the police as the baskets looked very unstable and if the string broke or the kid lean to far forward, surley it would be serious!

But what to do, the police do not give a s*&t, nor do the locals, as it is traditonal!

I am glad somebody else saw the coconut-bike-babies.

Then for sure I am not going mad and hallucinating.

Regards the availability of baby sized helmets.

I have not actually seen such an item, but the smaller sized helmets they do give away often with a new scooter would fit in a better-than-nothing manner.

These things are cheap, very cheap. Bike shops give 'em away. Can buy for 200 to 300 Baht.

Surely wouldn't cost much to have a thousand made up by the company who makes the ones at the shops?

Just need to get some funding, some corporate sponsorship stuff like.

I want to toss this idea around some, better than tossing kids brains around, eh?

Back to y'all.

I am glad somebody else saw the coconut-bike-babies.

Then for sure I am not going mad and hallucinating.

Regards the availability of baby sized helmets.

I have not actually seen such an item, but the smaller sized helmets they do give away often with a new scooter would fit in a better-than-nothing manner.

These things are cheap, very cheap. Bike shops give 'em away. Can buy for 200 to 300 Baht.

Surely wouldn't cost much to have a thousand made up by the company who makes the ones at the shops?

Just need to get some funding, some corporate sponsorship stuff like.

I want to toss this idea around some, better than tossing kids brains around, eh?

Back to y'all.

My next door neighbour has one for his child, a harley davidson thing from a shop in lamai, they also sell them in some shops in lamai

But note, the child rarly wears it!!!

it is about parent(s)'s brain condition first of all, not kids' - I am inclined to think it is their brian which has serious damage, even without falling and hitting hard their heads. because how else it is possible that they do NOT think about their child possibly be ingured or even dead without wearing helmet. in fact - even taking child, like infants, on the bike ride at all !

so, the only possible conclusion which I am able to make is that such parents are BRAINLESS ! :o

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression the really cheap helmets were pretty pointless anyway because they shatter on impact. But perhaps I didn't read this on ThaiVisa after all?

Your correct that you read about it on TV sbk. If we are thinking of the same thread.

I asked if the general helmets (the plastic ones) offered any real protection on crow boys accident thread. It would seem they are as much use and wearing no helmet. If i recal it was also mentioned that as the helmets can shatter they can actually CAUSE injury (one TV member said he was once struck just above the eye by a shard after his helmet shattered-thankfully not in the eye)

-----------------------

It is really sad seeing childrens lives put at risk, and it seems commonplace throughout all of Thailand (although I think there are helmet laws in Bangkok now...?)Putting your own life in danger is one thing, crazy at it is. But putting a childs life in danger is insane.

Hi yes it was me that got kicked off my bike and the stupid cheap helmet vizor broke on impact and gave me 3 nice cuts just below my left eye inch and a half higher i would have lost my eye ,

post-44496-1184248685_thumb.jpg

i get mad when i see parents wearing helmets and there kids dont (on the same bike )

mental

Slightly off the topic, but the maddest thing i've ever seen were these guys carrying long lengths of timber on two bikes. That's right one at the front, and one at the back. Couldn't believe my eyes. Ding dong mack mack!

What about dogs with no helmets!

Just kidding. But seriously, you see these people that let their dogs stand in the middle and put the front legs on the speedometer. Or I have actually seen them sitting on the back! Just sitting there.

If the driver has to make any kind of sudden movement, even just tapping the break, the dog is coming off and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Of course I know most Thai's don't think of dogs the way Westerners think of dogs.

Totally agree. It anoys me more when it's westerners, they should know better. Often see mother and father with one bike each and children hanging on in various postions .All in shorts and flip flops :D

Another thing which scares me is when westerners push young babies in prams in the road cos they're to lazy to lift up and down the curbs or carry the child :o

I agree with you it winds me up even more when I see westerners doing it. Most of us have had the benefit of a good education from both our parents and our western governments and should know better.

If farangs adults choose to come on holiday and not wear helmets that is their risk but parents should be protecting children not placing them at risk. Total madness.

There are actually a lot of helmets for sale at Tesco, for kids as well as adults, and they're a lot better quality than the junk you get when you buy a bike, they even have standards stickers on them.

Great, great, thanks for all that feedback, perhaps I am not just the "raving ranting mad person" as my Thai neighbors sometimes tell me I am.

Tesco! Thanks poster who suggested that one, I can go check the manufacturer.

And sure, the poster who says the real problem is in the parents brain. Very true. However there is not much I can help them with their except a frontal lobotomy. Or is that a bottle infrontofme? Whatever, one of those. I have a very handy sharp knife so I could assist them in this matter.

Regards the weakness of cheap helmets, I know. I was semi pro B grade superbike racing for years. I have severe cranial and jaw fractures which were caused when a five dollar helmet (as opposed to a 120 dollar helmet) disintigrated on contact with the road. Mind you I was going around 180 kph so not surprising it fell apart.

The thing is that I know that SOMETHING is better than NOTHING. Really, a bucket would be better than nothing.

Such cheap helmets do not help in high speed collisions but so much of the damage is done close to home at very low speeds.

And for sure, first thing I always do is either remove the crappy visor or simply loosen it so much it will certainly fall of given any impact at all.

Look, I ride around without a helmet, in shorts and flipflops, obviously utterly insane of course.

The point is the kids, their tiny little growing brains only need a small whack and you have a liability to society on your hands instead of a potential asset.

And to the poster who saw the guys carrying long timber on their bikes, have a listen to this one:

A few years back I was driving past Nathon towards Lipa Noi. I saw a couple of bikes ahead and was amazed and curious about how they appeared to be riding in total harmony with each other, like, both bikes were exact distance apart, exact same speed, like some kind of show.

Then I noticed as I got closer how each rider was only riding with one hand while his left arm was mysteriously hiked up in the air like they were waving.

Once I got to them and past them what I realised was that they were carrying a 4 meter X 1 meter sheet of glass between them. This is a true story.

Oh yeah, they weren't wearing helmets of course.

I shall discuss this issue soon with some corporate type dudes, see if they want to toss some helmets that way. We could get somebody dressed up as a giant monkey, have 'em pull over mums with kids on bikes and hand them some nice bright coloured helmets, directly to the kids. Whatever.

Thanks for all that feedback folks! I think that is one of the purposes of a "forum", yes?

What about letting a kid ride a push bike without a helmet? Bloody irresponsible.

Let each mother and father choose how to look after their own kids. This is not your own country.

Edited by Neeranam

What about letting a kid ride a push bike without a helmet?

Kids in Samui tend to skip the bicycle part and get given a honda dream when the are 8 years old.

It's really a question to the "give the parents a lobotomy" group. Do you let your kids ride their bikes without a helmet?

Many Thai people can't afford helmets for their kids.

Edited by Neeranam

Thais have this great belief in being protected. Their amulets etc.

Why wear a helmet when you have a blessed amulet round your neck looking out for you.

It may be the amount of amulets are directly proportunate to how much of a risk taker they will be. 'Im safe with one, therefore im a super-hero with many'

If your taxi /bus /tuk tuk etc driver has a ton of amulates and a multitude of garlands and other paraphernalia dotted around him and hanging off the rear view mirror: Pray. Pray HARD!

what annoyies me is when they drive on the opposit side of the road and you have to smerve to miss them they loook at you as if to say "you almost killled my kid. how dare you drive like that".

if u did hit a bike with kids with no helmets the driver will probably get done.

crazy island. island full or acrobats

Culture or not and wherever in the world, riding a motor-bike is dangerous. And parents with kids as a pillion act irresponsible. And at least they should give them as much protection as they can. In Thailand it´s not necessary to take the kids everywhere with you, because if I had learned one thing in LOS is that there is always someone or a relative that will look after the kid. But even where the people should know better, some take their kids with them on their bikes.

I quit driving my Suzuki as I´m the only earner in the family and my kids deserve to have a father. It´s been fun at the time I was only responsible for myself and I´ll get one again when the kids are grown up.