Going To Thailand For The First Time

dallas77

:o Hey All,

I'm so glad to find a forum like this one!!

My husband and I are going over to Thailand (from Australia) from around the 6th-13th August. I've never been overseas before.. and in fact, we've been together 10 years and have never been on a holiday! So to say I'm excited is an understatement!! :D

We're staying 5 days Phuket then 2 days Bangkok. Is there anything you guys think we just HAVE to do?

What do you anticipate the weather to be doing around this time? A bit of rain doesn't worry me, but I hope it isn't raining full time :D This is the only time we could get away together...

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

you'll get rain but it wont rain all the time. Ussually a couple of hours a day. first time trip to Bangkok... can only really suggest the obvious... The Grand Palace, take a boat trip on the river, possibly JJ market if u can stand the heat, and stroll around sukhimwit looking at the weirdos, waifs and strays!!

#1 tip have fun and go with the flow!

10 years and no holidays wow!

Enjoy yourself

your gonna have a ball ,just remember its nothing like home ,try the food and take in everything and enjoy the bartering on clothes watches etc ,you really need more time but there always next year :o

Make sure you give Kata and Kata Noi beaches a try in Phuket; particularly the latter which is just south of Kata. You could perhaps also do a day trip up to Pha Nga Bay while in Phuket if you fancy looking around.

Kata Noi

kata%20noi%20beach2.jpg

Defo do a boat trip on the Chao Phraya in Bangkok, Grand Palace, Wat Arun (other side of river) and perhaps a stroll down Khao San Road for a bit of people watchin'. The Vertigo Bar on top of the Banyan Tree Hotel (61 floors) in Bangkok is also pretty great. Get up there just before the sun goes down, but eat beforehand and don't order too many beers... bleedin expensive! :D May not be open if it's rainy.

Vertigo Bar

thaiwah2-07x.jpg

Good luck :o

It's going to be very hot so don't try to plan too much or you'll wear yourself down trying to keep up to your own expectations. Plan one or two highlights for each day and take the rest as it comes.

Have fun :o

Howdy,

If you are going to go to the Grand Palace, I suggest stopping by Wat Pho while you are in that area. There is alot to see in that part of Bangkok. Also don't forget to drink a fresh coconut while you are in Thailand.

One thing you might want to pack with you is sun block, I had a hard time finding sun block SPF 45 then it was high dollar. I had to go to Robinson in Phuket City witch was a nightmare, do to the Tuk Tuk drivers hounding me, wanting to take us on a Phuket Island tour. :D 7-11 had lower SPF sun blocks but I need the good stuff for my pale hinny.

I enjoy going to Kamala beach because it's laidback, not full of gogo bars, and the people that live in that area are real nice. Really quiet place. I miss it.

I bet your going to have a great time...Culture shock can be fun :o

Good luck

*j*

I would suggest that you made yourself aware of the little cons that are about, from Tuk Tuk drivers, Taxi drivers taking you via their 'brothers' shop to people in the street that will tell you the biggest shopping mall in the country is closed today.

They are lovely people, and they will smile while they try to turn you over. :o Just be aware really.

:D:D WOW!! Thank you all SO MUCH for your amazing responses and tips and advice!!!!! I'm so glad I stumbled across this forum!

You just have no idea how valuable all your info is to me. I'll be taking all this with me!!! :D

You all rock! Keep all the tips coming!! :o

Dallas

P.S. Those pictures just look so amazing.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd update you on our trip! We just had the best time ever, and thanks all of you so much for your advise!

We were actually staying in Patong Beach, but we got a FREE UPGRADE from our one star hotel to their sister hotel in Karon Beach, 4 1/2 star, and just absolutely stunning. So we were very lucky right from the start !!!! All the people were just the most gorgeous people ever, and we were treated like movie stars. Thai people are amazing!

We did the elephant riding, monkeys, Phi Phi Island Tour, Island Safari Tour, lots of shopping and mixing with the locals, ping pong show (haha what an eye opener that was... the poor goldfish), and all the Patong nightlife (boy/girls - wow) and everything in between. In Bangkok, we saw the palace, reclining buddha, golden buddha, markets, skytrain, subway. OOhh and I just LOVE the pink taxis!

7 days really wasn't enough... but we have plans to go back next year!!!

The weather was awesome. We didn't get rain at all in Phuket in the whole 5 days we were there, just hot humid and sunny days (which made drinking cocktails by the pool bar even more easy). Bangkok we did get a sprinkle for about 10 minutes, which didn't bother us at all, as it was about 30 degrees at the time, and we were happy to cool off!

All in all, such a great time, gorgeous people and just so much fun. So thanks to everyone for your help, suggestions and advise!!

Dallas :D (who now has the travelling bug)

P.S. Jovanred.. thanks for that burst of confidence there on my first overseas trip which had me panicing days before we left.... :D .... Lucky for me, your weather prediction couldn't have been further from the truth. :o

Reduce the number of clothes you were thinking of bringing as you will able to buy here at reasonable prices.

Take any medicines you may require.you can buy here but propriety names may change.(and copy of spectacles prescription in case you want buy a new pair)

Relax,so that you can enjoy the sights,sounds and smells of Thailand.

Have a good holiday

:o Wiley Coyote