Thai Birth Certificate

spot

After routine visit to our doctor, my wife (Thai) was handed some forms explaining about registering the baby at the hospital.

We went up to see the hospital admin, and they said that they need a copy of my passport, confirmed by my Embassy (UK). Meaning some sort of stamp..

This sounds a bit strange, as surely my passport IS an official document proving who I am.

And, I've already been through the affirmation to marry process - so my credentials have already been checked.

Anyone else had this experience?

Spot

Hi.

Strange indeed! After 12 years and 2 children, I've normally found all that is required is a photocopy of my passport which is signed by me to acknowledge it's correct. Perhaps some lines have been crossed and they want confirmation of your address? Although i never had to provide such proof for my childrens birth certificates or hospital registration.

No, didn't have to do that either time. Better ask them if this is standard practice for this particular hospital, or if your situation is in any way different from other foreigners whose partners have given birth there. If it is normal, you'll have a job persauding them it's not necessary. Shame, these letters cost a ridiculous amount.

We are going back on Monday to see admin again.

I'm going to explain to them that as far as I am aware, it's not a legal requirement to get my passport confirmed by my embassy for birth registration.

My passport IS a document confirming my identity.

I just don't see why we should have to go through the inconvenience and cost of a trip to the embassy if it's not legally required.

We'll see what happens on Monday.

G'day spot,

Just had another child born last week in chiang mai (Thepanya hospital....incidentally, around 40K baht for c-section and 4 nights in private aircon room). All i did at the hospital was fill in the parents form. They shouldn't have to have an endorsed copy of your passport, mine wasn't even sighted! Went to the Amphur office on thursday, with my wife, to do the birth certificate, brought the following along:

1. Hospital paperwork

2. Copy of wifes ID

3. Copy of my passport

4. Copy of Tabian Baan

5. Copy of Marriage certificate and Tabian Marriage

Also brought along the origonals for them to sight, about 20 minutes and 14 baht later we had the birth certificate. In about 2 weeks we'll go to the amphur office to have the child put onto the tabian baan.

Good Luck,

The Bloodied Tiger

PS. It's a good idea to keep copies of all the above mentioned docs on your PC as they seem to be required on a very regular basis, particularly the wifes ID

After routine visit to our doctor, my wife (Thai) was handed some forms explaining about registering the baby at the hospital.

We went up to see the hospital admin, and they said that they need a copy of my passport, confirmed by my Embassy (UK). Meaning some sort of stamp..

This sounds a bit strange, as surely my passport IS an official document proving who I am.

And, I've already been through the affirmation to marry process - so my credentials have already been checked.

Spot

If you give in, next time they will want a letter certifying the letter, that certified the letter, that certifed the passport. Be polite, firm and stand your ground. Due to them being Thai, give them a chance to escape and save face.

Spot

I faxed a copy of my passport to hospital and it was enough.

Tell them, to enter Thailand, Immigration authorities accept your passort as the only and sufficient document. No letter required to certify it is your passport - that may make them feel how silly they are when asking for it.

We called some more hospitals..

Bumrungrad, Yanhee and the local government.

Bumrungrad said that I would have to get my passport translated and stamped by my embassy - the girl then said that they do have a translation service at the hospital. So MAYBE it could be done there...?

The Yanhee said that my passport needs to be stamped as authentic by my embassy and translated into Thai.

Both said that it's a requirement of the Amphur.

Strangely, the Gov hospital said that all they would need is a copy of my passport - no stamp or translation needed.

As the baby could be born at anytime, I'm going to get a translation and stamp done at one of the translation services near us, and check with the hospital admin to see if it's OK.

I'll let you know what happens.

spot

I think when I went, the only thing I showed was my passport and my birth certificate, which I had already had translated inot Thai anyway. There weren't really interested in it, only the passport. That was in Khon Kaen 2 years ago, so things may well have changed since then. Who knows? TIT.

The same thing happened to me at thai nakarin hospotal. My wife told them that is was not a requirement of the amphur to have the passport certified, and they ended up just taking a photocopy of it.

We've had 2 kids in 4 1/2 years at thai nakarin and the birth registration went so smoothly i have no memory of it - apart from paying, they took for ever!

Tell them you're not paying the hospital bill until they stop f*cking with you. Explain the Ampur doesn;t need it, that you are the customer and if they want to have future business they better start playing ball real fast.

That usually clears things up.

Edited by Sanpatong

Just been to see head of admin at the hospital.

I explained that having a copy of my passport stamped by my embassy for a birth certificate is not normal procedure (this was confirmed by the Brit embassy).

They argued that the official (amphur) who deals with this particular hospital, needs a translated copy of my passport - not necessary to get it stamped by the embassy. This is not what they said originally, or what is written on the checklist given to us.

I agreed to the translation.

So they took copies while I was in there today, faxed them to the translation service, who will send them back to the hospital.

Bit long winded, but done...

Thanks for the responses.