Invest A Liitle

I know the sublime to the ridiculous will no doubt follow , however,

1,000,000 Thai Baht how would you invest to realise a return in say 6-12 months, with a reasonable percentage of risk ?

1,000,000 Thai Baht how would you invest to realise a return in say 6-12 months, with a reasonable percentage of risk ?

JR Texas: Invest where? In Thailand? Worldwide?

If you mean Thailand, I would not put one baht in real estate as it is in the process of crashing (will take time, but the forces behind it are all in place).

Worldwide: Stock market set for major crash......wonder how long those with huge money can keep manipulating it before the House of Cards collapses.

If in Thailand, maybe buy 25 motorcyles and start a small business selling motorcyles (or do it in virtually any other country in Southeast Asia that is receptive to small-business formation).

Guest madcow

Now is a very good time to be putting your money in a bank , real estate and stocks heading for a crash pretty much everywhere .

Park your money and wait for the bargains !

can you make money in motobikes if your timeframe is 6 - 12 months?

your timeframe is so short only thing reasonable is forex tradin.....................lol.

or put it in the bank.........up to you.

when will someone cum up with a good smll busnit idea. tv should give em an award or something.

Edited by blizzard

what is your reasonable risk and what kind of return are you looking for?

I know the sublime to the ridiculous will no doubt follow.........

Lend it to a freind, or better still a Family member, that always works well :o

Or I can offer you a GUARANTEED 50% return on your investment over 12 months...........in 12 months I will return 50% of yer money :D:D (Remember, the value of your investment can go down instead of up........not only "as well as").

Safest way to double yer money is...........fold it in two and put it in yer pocket :D

Edited by Jersey_UK

like to realise 10% without risking a complete loss

like to realise 10% without risking a complete loss

Hi,

time for a little show if you want. 50% net profit on your Mill in 6 months. You open a trading account, I will tell you when and what to enter/exit and you will execute as I will have no access to your stuff. Whats over 1,5 Mill after the time is mine.

You can make is as transparent here as you like.

Cheers

If all these people are so sure of the stocks ready to crash, why aren't they opening accounts at a brokerage and go short those stock so ready to crash ???

because one needs a credit line (and therefore MONEY) to short any asset :o

If all these people are so sure of the stocks ready to crash, why aren't they opening accounts at a brokerage and go short those stock so ready to crash ???

Because going short is quite complicated in most stock markets.You must borrow the stocks paying a commission.

Besides it is quite difficult to forecast when a bull market will crash.

I can just say that most markets appear to be overvalued, but cannot of course forecast when they will come down.

Anyway I have opened a future account for SET50 and I am planning to use it to short , hoping to catch the right timing.

Thai stock market went up a lot recently, yet there are two laggard stocks with excellent dividend yeld.

They are JTS (quotes 2.34 and paid 0.30 dividend in 2006) and TRUBB (quotes 26.25 and paid 3.00 dividend past year). You might split your money between them and hope for the best.

I would think this type of question should be directed toward a bonified investment company or advisor with a track record and satified customers you could talk to. If I were interested in building a rocket ship, this would not be where I would look for advice, even though I would not be surprised to find people on TV who worked in this sector.

Because going short is quite complicated in most stock markets.You must borrow the stocks paying a commission.

I'm not sure in Thailand, but in the USA going short is nothing more difficult then going long! You pay the same commission on your trades. On my on-line trading platform I just sell a share I don't have a position in, and voila, I hold a short position in that stock! You do need to have a margin account, and not all stocks can be shorted (they need a minimum volume/liquidity).

The biggest drawback is that your potential loss going short is limitless! When shorting shares, you gamble on the stocks going down in price, but if it goes wrong the stock can go up several hundreds % (unlikely but possible!). The brokerage can let it run all the way to the limit of your margin account...

When long, the most you can lose is what you put in when you bought the stock :o

1. Depends if you're well informed about (Thai) stocks or not. If not, stay away. If you do, talk to a stockbroker, preferably in your own language.

2. Don't invest, as someone suggested, in Motobikes. Too much competition from Thai fellows....and could be dangerous apart from having to rent a place and hire Thai staff...pain in the @ss.

3. I expect Gold to be on the move upwards in 6-12 months; but if you don't know anything about it (physical gold, paper gold, gold stocks etc.) ask for advise or stay away; too risky for you maybe.

4. Keep it cash and wait for 'opportunity knocks' in a few months; Thai times are uncertain right now but there are still very good opportunities in the Thai stock market; short term though and you have to watch the stocks on a DAILY basis.

http://www.settrade.com/login.jsp?txtBrokerId=IPO

The site is also in English and you might want to talk to those people.

LaoPo

I'm not sure in Thailand, but in the USA going short is nothing more difficult then going long! You pay the same commission on your trades. On my on-line trading platform I just sell a share I don't have a position in, and voila, I hold a short position in that stock! You do need to have a margin account, and not all stocks can be shorted (they need a minimum volume/liquidity).

The biggest drawback is that your potential loss going short is limitless! When shorting shares, you gamble on the stocks going down in price, but if it goes wrong the stock can go up several hundreds % (unlikely but possible!). The brokerage can let it run all the way to the limit of your margin account...

When long, the most you can lose is what you put in when you bought the stock :o

You have to pay the interest rate when you short (borrow) stocks.

You can lose a lot more than you put in when going long a stock.

I can just say that most markets appear to be overvalued, but cannot of course forecast when they will come down.

Anyway I have opened a future account for SET50 and I am planning to use it to short , hoping to catch the right timing.

Edonista

Who's your future account with?

Edonista

Who's your future account with?

http://www.seamico.com/eng/home.asp

50,000 baht collateral per contract. 450 baht commission per contract (you must of course close it before it expires so it actually makes 900 +7% VAT)

Nominal value of SET50 is now about 600,000 baht.

As I would like to short "dead man walking" General Motors, could you please name your brokerage platform ?

short gm now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what other bad news is gonna cum out that hasnt already. maybe they gonna try opening up a plant in thailand. highly educated, hard working workforce, kind government,etc.........

It has negative equity already (5 billion $ in 2006 balance sheet). It's already bankrupt. No need of further bad news. Selling this for whatever price above zero is a sure bargain.

As I would like to short "dead man walking" General Motors, could you please name your brokerage platform ?

Currently using:

http://www.optionsxpress.com/

Very easy to open an account with them, application form, filled out W8-BEN if not resident in the US. and a copy of your passport or government ID. Incoming/outgoing wires only accepted from bank accounts under your own name...

Very responsive Java based trading platform. This is nothing fancy, but works very well for the beginning trader. Minimum deposit for a margin account is 2000 US$.

Shorting GM???

The big 3 (GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler) are starting some though bargaining with the Auto worker Union! Means the stock can go either way each and every time an announcement is made!!! I won't be short nor long, apart maybe for a news based daytrade...

Currently using:

http://www.optionsxpress.com/

Very easy to open an account with them, application form, filled out W8-BEN if not resident in the US. and a copy of your passport or government ID. Incoming/outgoing wires only accepted from bank accounts under your own name...

Very responsive Java based trading platform. This is nothing fancy, but works very well for the beginning trader. Minimum deposit for a margin account is 2000 US$.

Shorting GM???

The big 3 (GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler) are starting some though bargaining with the Auto worker Union! Means the stock can go either way each and every time an announcement is made!!! I won't be short nor long, apart maybe for a news based daytrade...

Are capital gains in USA markets subjected to a withholding tax for non USA citizens and non USA residents ?

Real estate and the stock makts wont crash , there will be a surplus of condos for sale in bkk that will get bought up and the stock markets will have some sort of pull back , the shrewd investers will be waiting in the wings to pick up bargains .

JB

Are capital gains in USA markets subjected to a withholding tax for non USA citizens and non USA residents ?

No taxes whatsoever for non US nationals. Thats why you have to fill out the W8-BEN form.

Not sure about non US resident US nationals though. AFAIK US Nationals get haunted by the IRS wherever they live or make their money :o