Air Asia Kl

Thaihog

I am travelling to KL next week with Air Asia and was wondering if anybody can tell me the best way to get downtown from the LCC Terminal. Is it best to take a taxi to the main international airport then get an express train downtown or just take a taxi from LCC to downtown? I am more worried about my transit time for the journey back to CM as the flight time from LCCT is 08:50.

TIA.

Assuming "downtown" meaning to the city, Just get a bus to Sentral from LCCT. There is a bus close by that operates hourly from like 7am to (I forget when) that is 9RM or 10RM (no more than that). Take that.

LCCT is pretty far from everytrhing, and a car/taxi won't be all that much faster. It sux that LCCT is so god ###### far away, but then again, everything in KL sucks.

If you want to get there faster, you can take the LCCT Express train that goes from LCCT to Sentral. It's a pretty ###### nice train and is quite fast. I prefer paying 10RM instead of 35RM or whatever it is (cuz I'm a cheap ass :o), but if you don't mind a few extra RM, this is the way to go.

I would say for safety sake with you flight back, check what time the LCCT Express train runs from and find out how long it takes to get to LCCT from Sentral

I might get a taxi to Sentral to get on the LCCT Express from Sentral to LCCT just to make sure you don't miss the flight. I think I caught the LRT (one of the 4 regular [non-airport] train systems to Sentral and then the LCCT Express to LCCT for my flight). But I caught the earliest LRT at 6:30am which was cutting it fine. If I was doing it again, I might catch a taxi to Sentral.

Did I mention how much KL sucks?

@wizzard

3 years ago I spent 2 nights in KL. It's certainly not the most interessting city on this planet. But there are worse places to go. How come you have such a bad idea about this place?

@all

HOW TO GET THERE

1. Bus

Bus CompanyDetailsFrequencyRateFrom/To Main Terminal Building, KLIAAirport Liner Route

LCCT < > MTB Every 20 minutesRM1.50 one way From/To KL Sentral SkybusRoute

LCCT < > KL Sentral Every 15-30 minutesRM9.00 one way AerobusRoute

LCCT < > KL Sentral Every 30 minutesRM9.00 one way From/To Nilai Airport Liner Route

LCCT < > Nilai Every 30 - 45 minutesRM2.20 one way

The above transit and/or coach services are provided by a third party which is not legally related to AirAsia Bhd in any way whatsoever.

The schedule is displayed for convenience only and as such AirAsia Bhd does not warrant its accuracy or punctuality in any way whatsoever.

2. Express Rail Link (ERL)

There are existing ERL station located at KLIA station. Passengers are able to shuttle conveniently between LCC Terminal and KLIA ERL station.

Click here for more info on ERL

I am travelling to KL next week with Air Asia and was wondering if anybody can tell me the best way to get downtown from the LCC Terminal. Is it best to take a taxi to the main international airport then get an express train downtown or just take a taxi from LCC to downtown? I am more worried about my transit time for the journey back to CM as the flight time from LCCT is 08:50.

TIA.

Thaihog,

There are basically two ways of getting to downtown KL, more specifically KL Central (the transportation hub). One is the LCCT bus and the other is by taxi. Two major companies operate the buses which are Aerobus and Skybus(something like that operated by AirAsia). Costs are about RM9, or RM10 a way. Journey time is approx 1 hour 15 minutes. You reach KL Central and there are different Light Rail Transits to take you around the city. Or again a taxi could be your way around KL.

On the way back, make sure you reach KL Central before 6am. THere are 2 or 3 buses that leave around that time and would take you to LCCT way before you minimum boarding time. You would reach about 7.00am or 7.15 max. I have done this many times and no problems whatsoever.

For everyone else, particularly Wizzard of Oz, there is no such thing as the LCCT express train (it would be appropriate for you not to make suggestions that are false as it would indeed cause the OP to lose his flight). The KLIA express train is a service that connects KL Central to KLIA and not the LCCT terminal. One would need to take a shuttle bus to and from KLIA and LCCT. That would be unnecessary waste of time.

Hope you have a good time in KL.

TB..

Edited by tigerbeer

TIA.

Thaihog,

There are basically two ways of getting to downtown KL, more specifically KL Central (the transportation hub). One is the LCCT bus and the other is by taxi. Two major companies operate the buses which are Aerobus and Skybus(something like that operated by AirAsia). Costs are about RM9, or RM10 a way. Journey time is approx 1 hour 15 minutes. You reach KL Central and there are different Light Rail Transits to take you around the city. Or again a taxi could be your way around KL.

On the way back, make sure you reach KL Central before 6am. THere are 2 or 3 buses that leave around that time and would take you to LCCT way before you minimum boarding time. You would reach about 7.00am or 7.15 max. I have done this many times and no problems whatsoever.

For everyone else, particularly Wizzard of Oz, there is no such thing as the LCCT express train (it would be appropriate for you not to make suggestions that are false as it would indeed cause the OP to lose his flight). The KLIA express train is a service that connects KL Central to KLIA and not the LCCT terminal. One would need to take a shuttle bus to and from KLIA and LCCT. That would be unnecessary waste of time.

Hope you have a good time in KL.

TB..

We did the bus from LCCT ( air con on the bus barely worked ) to the KLIA express at the main airport terminal. Bus ride was about 20 mins. Then the KLIA to Sentral, then the underground/metro/mrt or whatever you call it to our hotel.

I don't recommend this however, the KILA train was nice, but overall the whole journey was more hassle than it was worth. I'd either get the AirAsia bus to Sentral, then get a Taxi, or if you like the underground.

On the way back, get a taxi, there's not much traffic, we left our hotel at 6:00am and got to the LCCT just before 7:00pm. 80RM.

Edited by markiv

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm not looking forward to the return journey. This will be my first trip with AirAsia so I'm a bit apprehensive about flying with them, but they are a better option to Thai Air timetable wise. If I had of flown with Thai it would have been a 09:45 departure CM and arrival in KL 19:10, bloody ridiculous.

This visa trip will take me away from CM for 4 days & 3 nights. Has anybody used an alternative route (flying) which has a better turn around time?

I wouldn't worry at all. Thai Air Asia is a great airline; I've flown with them many times.

Just get used to being near the front of the line at the boarding gate, so as to get a good (front of aircraft) seat.

They are now selling reserved seating (just started) but I don't know how many people are opting for this.

They are the best of the LCC, IMHO.

McG

I wouldn't worry at all. Thai Air Asia is a great airline; I've flown with them many times.

Just get used to being near the front of the line at the boarding gate, so as to get a good (front of aircraft) seat.

They are now selling reserved seating (just started) but I don't know how many people are opting for this.

McG

I asked about the reserved seating. Surprise, surprise, no such thing, you pay 200 baht extra on your ticket and when you check in you get a sticker that lets you first in line to get onboard the plane. I've paid the extra 200 baht so I'll let you know if it works.

Cheers.

Thaihog, I go to KL a lot and this Airasia flight from CNX to KL is wonderful. 2hours 45 mins flight as opposed to taking the whole day with Thai Airways. Yes they do have very strict policies and stick by it but they would get you earlier to KL if possible. They have fast turnaround time and tickets can be a bargain if booked early. There are no alternatives that get as good as this!

I do get frustrated with their policies at times but really, its the best thing for me at this point of time and they are really all not that bad. except for their treatment of disabled people of which I totally oppose. but thats on a totally different debate.

McG

I asked about the reserved seating. Surprise, surprise, no such thing, you pay 200 baht extra on your ticket and when you check in you get a sticker that lets you first in line to get onboard the plane. I've paid the extra 200 baht so I'll let you know if it works.

Cheers.

x-press boarding. I don't see the point as all the seats are the same. What happens if everyone pays an extra 200 baht to get on first ? Can we expect fisticuffs at the departure gate ?

x-press boarding is just scheme to milk money from the gullible IMHO.

I have done this trip before . KL is not bad at all , you just have to explore the city a bit .

The first time when I arrived I took the minivan service , is a waste of time , trying to make you go to a place which will give them some interest . Anyway if you have a hotel booked allready it might be the wiser option , because they drop you at the Hotel for the same price , the way to go back to the aiport I should take the train . Go to the station beforehand and check it out , I came at time easily and would be the most recommened early in the morning like that .

When you arrive at KL , the next day do your visa at the embassey , make sure you be there early , so you will have to loose

many time again , can be very crowdy . Next day it is visa pickup time , the air Asia flight is the next morning .

So it is 1 2 3 nights and of you are .

If you want to explore the twin towers you should go very early , they only give an x amount of people to visit daily , so the

day you take your passport back you can visit , great view I can tell you .

Another tip is to take the underground to explore the city a bit , where the embassey is etc . The Princess Hotel would be a good choice , is next in the street to the thai embassey . The metro is a walk further which you can go to and explore the where abouts of everything . It is as easy and just relax and be open for a different asian city , it is quite compared with BKK.

Very quiet and everything easy to reach and has got a little India and China area . Good luck !

I know you're staying a few days in KL, but just a quick note for those who can't be bothered to go into the city for just an overnight transit visit.

There are a few hotels near the airport. Condorde Inn KLIA is OK, nothing fancy but near the airport (free hotel bus leaves from KLIA -- take airport transfer bus to other terminal from LCCT). Online or phone reservations. It's not dirt cheap though (maybe 50 bucks or so).

The LCCT terminal desk can arrange accommodation near the airport if you're just making an overnight transit. I tried a cheaper option than Corcorde once, but it was a bit strange (a half-finished guest house about 30 min away).

KL can be a bit sterile, but it has great street food at night (e.g. Golden Triangle) and a decent selection of restaurants.

Just got back my visa run to KL. Air Asia was okay although the seats are a bit cramped. The express boarding worked okay and I think it is worth paying the extra 200 baht as you are first on the plane, get a front row seat thus ensuring that you are one of the first off the plane and straight through Immigration. I took a Taxi downtown to the Concorde Hotel (Hard Rock Cafe) and it took 1 hour 15 mins from the LCC Terminal, cost 95 Ringit.

For people going to make a visa it is worth considering making a payment to the security guard inside the visa building who issues the queing tickets. I didn't arrive at the embassy until 10am and the embassy was packed with people and was told that I could be waiting for up to 2 hours. I give the security guy 50 ringit and hey presto 15 minutes later my "new" number was called. The collection the next day is a piece of cake and only takes a couple of minutes.

It has been a couple of years since I have been to KL and couldn't believe how expensive the beer is. I was paying anything from 32 to 35 ringit for a large (pint) glass of beer.

Cheers......

Edited by Thaihog

Speaking of Air Asia..Starting next month they are beginning flights from Khon Kaen to Bangkok. I just booked two one way tickets for that route at 99 baht each. Of course once taxes were added the total for both came to 1300 baht, but still cheaper than the only other alternative which was Thai air at 1570 baht per ticket !

Thai air does have 3 flight to choose from and Air Asia only has 1 afternoon flight, but I am sure if the route works out for them, you will see an increase in frequency of flights.

Just got back my visa run to KL. Air Asia was okay although the seats are a bit cramped. The express boarding worked okay and I think it is worth paying the extra 200 baht as you are first on the plane, get a front row seat thus ensuring that you are one of the first off the plane and straight through Immigration. I took a Taxi downtown to the Concorde Hotel (Hard Rock Cafe) and it took 1 hour 15 mins from the LCC Terminal, cost 95 Ringit.

For people going to make a visa it is worth considering making a payment to the security guard inside the visa building who issues the queing tickets. I didn't arrive at the embassy until 10am and the embassy was packed with people and was told that I could be waiting for up to 2 hours. I give the security guy 50 ringit and hey presto 15 minutes later my "new" number was called. The collection the next day is a piece of cake and only takes a couple of minutes.

It has been a couple of years since I have been to KL and couldn't believe how expensive the beer is. I was paying anything from 32 to 35 ringit for a large (pint) glass of beer.

Cheers......

Can't speak for anyone else but I object to people who think it's ok to pay to jump the queue either on Air Asia or bribing a guard at the embassy. It's mannerless ######s like this who screw things up for everyone else.

Cheers......

Can't speak for anyone else but I object to people who think it's ok to pay to jump the queue either on Air Asia or bribing a guard at the embassy. It's mannerless ######s like this who screw things up for everyone else.

Naw, lamphun, I disagree. First off it is Thai Air Asia who offer this option, and it is not exactly jumping the queue.

What bothered me under the old system (1st come 1st served in queue) was the families, who showed up at the last minute at the boarding gate, with 4+ children, all ambulatory, popping gum and listening to their iPods. Who then proceeded to be seated ahead of me and others who'd been in queue for an hour! Now these folk can either pay up or sit back with the goats and chickens in wicker baskets :D . (And I'm not talking people with elderly, handicapped or infants/toddlers)

As for the security guard, much as it goes against the grain of Western society, sense of fairplay, justice, etc.- I have to say: this is the lay of the land here in Asia. It is rather like a form of Primitive Capitalism at its finest.

Pay the tariff, go to front of queue.

Don't pay tariff, suffer for hours sweating like a peon in queue.

Unjust, but that's the way it is.... :o

McG

Cheers......

I think you did most things right. though, the Bus from the LCCT Terminal does the run in 75-80 minutes as well (arriving at KL sentral from where you can get a voucher-Taxi to any downtown destination at a very reasonable price) and costs only 8 or 9 RM, instead of the 95 u paid. but maybe its no problem for u to spend a little more.

about the EXPRESS BOARDING, for a flight of 2.45 hrs i think its well worth to pay the 200 baht extra. You already have listed the advantages....

about the beers: dont know where u had ur drinks but I usually dont pay more than 15 RM for a Pint. though, still expensive compared to Thailand. for Cheapo booze u have to go to the duty free islands of Langkawi or Labuan, where the prices are almost same as in Thailand.

you were asking for other alternatives to do ur Visa-Run from CM. TIGER AIR is flying nonstop to Singapore, and the fare is usually very reasonable if u book early in advance. and I heard, the Thai embassy in SG is okay to deal with as well....

Unless you've got no check-in bags, I really dont see the point of paying this express boarding fee or standing in a line to get on a plane. At LCCT and BKK you're going to be waiting for your bags anyway, even if you are first through immigration. I prefer to stroll on last and then pick who I sit next to, away from all the screaming brats and nosy looking fcukers.

LCCT is a pain in the ass to get to and if you're going to all the fuss to pay express boarding, you'd be as well pay for a taxi instead of getting on that bus into KL. Traffic near Sentral station can be a nightmare at times and you have to alight the bus and then stand in another taxi que once there. Get a taxi from LCCT straight to your destination is my advice.

On the way back, checking in at LCCT only 1 hour before departure will save a lot of pain and sufferring but keep in mind traffic jams in KL city around the golden triangle and most hotels will be a bastard just about at any hour on any day of the week.

@wizzard

3 years ago I spent 2 nights in KL. It's certainly not the most interessting city on this planet. But there are worse places to go. How come you have such a bad idea about this place?

Ok, in no particular order:

1. The people are unfriendly like in most big cities; but on top of that, they are rude in kl. It's totally normal for them to just push in front in lines at 7/11 and at train stations or lifts before anyone could get out. CM is not like that at all.

2. The women are sooooo not hot. Nuff said (tho better than Singapore). And obv CM is the absolute nuts in regards to that

3. The place is dirty. People throw stuff in the street. I've seen way too many middle aged men AND WOMEN spit in the street too. YUCK.

4. The food is the only reason I hear people say for a reason for going, but give me geng kaew waan, geng pet, massaman, kao soy panang gai any day over Malaysian food.

5. It has the usual western big city feel where everyone spends their whole life chasing the dollar. This is NOT the case in CM at all. People place happiness and quality of life much higher.

6. It has sucky architecture like most south east asian countries. But at least some other countries have something else going for it.

Overall, KL is the anus of the world.