For All Who Starred In The Tsunami Film

N47HAN

Sorry - I found it in really bad taste that they would make such a film here... and still do. I will not be watching it.

unusual to make a movie in the place that the disaster happened ,not nice for the thai people who lost loved ones ................

if its the movie with toni collette, i watched it on telly a while ago. found it to be very disturbing, but in many ways realistic. i see where you guys are coming from when you say it was in bad taste, and thats a personal opinion. i am neither here nor there on that, but if it does make a few people realise just how suspicious the handling of funds was in some cases, then good.

if its the movie with toni collette, i watched it on telly a while ago. found it to be very disturbing, but in many ways realistic. i see where you guys are coming from when you say it was in bad taste, and thats a personal opinion. i am neither here nor there on that, but if it does make a few people realise just how suspicious the handling of funds was in some cases, then good.

That's the one, Donna! There was quite some controversy - about ethics - among locals, during the filming. And don't even get me started on the handling of funds topic... :o

Tsunami: The Aftermath (2006) (TV)

This was not the first time it was aired though, I saw it quite a while ago already.

I'm playing one of the British consular officials visiting Bangkok Hospital to assess the situation.

Last year, I think it was end of April, the casting lady came to a Muay Thai gym I was training at, to recruit Westerners to play various roles including dead bodies floating in the water and some other characters. There were some interesting days of waiting around at the set most of the day until some scenes were shot (or not), being given food and some money for our time at the end of the day.

Being in the film as an extra for 7 days was a real educational experience for me.

I like to dabble in some video editing and filming myself and got to see how it's done professionally.

Seeing the movie later, I thought it was very good and brought out some facts that i didn't know about. ie: burning unidentified bodies, and the guy who had predicted it happening and the govt supressing his report, etc.

But, i must say that my friends in the US, who saw the movie, thought it was boring. I guess maybe it was if you didn't understand much about it. They sometimes are spoiled with action movies and get bored easily when they are not entertained the way they are used to.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Khao Lak with my Thai wife, and HBO did not do the locals any good service by letting them know well ahead of time that they were going to set up mock disaster sets. Many of my local friends were shocked when they rode past the 'bodies' and 'damage' and it brought back feelings they had only hoped would have faded by now.

Many of the volunteers here also starred in the film. Just another way for some of them to feel like they were a part of things. Self-serving, I felt, at times. Most volunteers were quite productive and not self-serving.

Aside from the realities, HBO did a bad job on the film. Even in the beach scenes, there are numerous footprints in the sand when it was clear the sands would have been smoothed out by the water. Not realistic, at all. If they had a bigger budget, they could have announced their intentions well ahead of time, made a good movie that focused on the THAIS, too, and not try to make it look like a bad episode of LOST.

But, hey, that's my opinion.

Johnny