Local trains w/ bicycle - how to get timetable, ticket etc.

henrik2000

Hello, on a tourist trip to the provinces i might want to use local trains for 30 or 50 kms as part of day trips – and I would have a bicycle with me for the day (no heavy luggage). (I don't mean long distance trains.)

So I wanted to ask you:

• How to use local trains for a tourist (get ticket, find timings, find routes and stations)?
  • Can I carry a bicycle on the local train (special compartments, extra bicycle ticket, only some trains allowed)?
  • Is it crowded sometimes?

Routes or stations I might use:

• Thaphan Hin – Phichit or vv.
  • Thaphan Hin – Nakhon Sawan (or part of it)
  • Ayutthaya
  • Phetchaburi town
  • Prachuap Khiri Khan town

Get timings and stations

I speak tourist Thai, but can't read it. Years ago I saw time tables written on waiting room walls – all in Thai. Google Maps shows routes, stations and timings. Is that the best source if one doesn't read Thai?

How to acquire ticket

Can I simply buy the ticket inside the train from the conductor? Also for the bicycle? Or MUST I get the ticket before boarding at the train station? Can I get the ticket online?  (Tourist here, no more than 1 – 4 train trips totally, no Thai bank account.)

Bicycle on local train

Do I need an extra ticket for the bicycle? Are there special bicycle/luggage compartments? May only some, but not all trains on a given route accept bicycles?

Thanks for your advice!

Edited by henrik2000

Website for Thailand Rail.   Scroll to the bottom for links to each of the rail lines.  Stations in Thai and English.

https://www.railway.co.th/Home/Index

Long-distance trains "should" have baggage cars, local trains probably not.

You'll need a cargo ticket for your bike if stowing in the baggage car.  Get that at the ticket office when you purchase your ticket, show it to the baggage car clerk in the car as you hand him your bike.

For local trains, you should not need to pay extra for the bike.  (That may have changed recently, if so I'm not aware.)  Just get to the platform before the train arrives, ready to board.  Some of the trains only stop for a minute or two.

Have a hex key ready to turn the handlebars.  If the car you've selected only has end doors, it's a tight squeeze.   The assistants (if there are any) may try to force your bike through the doors, even though the handlebars won't fit.  There should be a small luggage bay large enough to stow your bike just after the latrines by the doors. 

If the car has side doors to the platform, no problem.  Just carry your bike on and bungee to a seat handle or center pole.

Try to avoid commuter times when the cars are full of workers/students.

I took a bike on the BKK (Huamak Station) - Aranyaprathet run with no difficulties.  Expect the train to be late, and slow.  Used Green Bus in the north.

You can also take your bike on the bus.  The large VIP coaches carry 33 passengers, and have plenty of storage space under the cabins.  A full size bike will fit underneath without disassembly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1