Usb 1 To Usb 2

johnson36

I have a nice compact Dell Latitude C400 with 12" screen.

My plan was to bring it with me to BKK in December when I will be staying for 6 weeks. The

hotel where I will be staying has wireless internet access.

My Dell doesnt have Wi-Fi so have bought a Netgear wireless USB 2 adaptor.

Ive now discovered my Dell only has USB 1

Is there anything I can do to make it USB 2 ?

It should work just fine plugged into USB 1, you'll be limited in speed to 6Mb or so, but if you're surfing the net then there will be no problem :o

If you have a CardBus/PCMCIA slot you can get a USB 2 card to plug in there if you really need the speed :D

Guest Reimar

USB 1 = 6 Mbps

USB 1.1 = 12 Mbps max.

For WiFi you may need 54 Mbps! If you've a PCMCIA slot, buy and USB 2 PCMCIA Card, or use the Ethernet connector for to connect the WiFi if you use an external. But you can also use a PCMCIA WiFi Card for connection to an Access Point or Hot Spot!

Good advice is to check if your notebook can use a NETGEAR RangeMax WPN511, most of the time if a notebook has only USB 1 it also has only PCMCIA Rel.1. And it is clear PCMCIA Rel. 1 is not a PC Card, ther difference is about the same as a ISA and a PCI interface in a desktop PC

Richard is right. Most modern PCMCIA cards are "cardbus" type (they have a gold connector) which is 32-bit and can't be used in older PCMCIA 16-bit slots. Checking with some google, the Dell C400 does have a type II cardbus-compliant PCMCIA slot, so it can use 32-bit cards. Go ahead and buy a cardbus wi-fi adapter.

I'd just like to tell that my experience of using USB 2 devices on USB 1 ports proved to be disasterous.

It wasn't a notebook but a desk top (about 3 years old). There were only 2 USB ports and they were at the back of the computer and quite difficult to access. I had a USB mouse, modem, digital camera, mobile telephone and thumb drive so I decided to buy a USB hub and have on top of my computer so that at least the detachable devices could be attached more easily.

Everything worked fine at first but then I started to get many error messages and fatal errors. My computer crashed constantly with error warnings about missing or damaged graphic drivers. I updated the drivers several times and nothing helped. One day my monitor just fizzed out. It was unrepairable so I invested in a new flat screen. After a few days I started to get the same messages and my new LCD screen froze and made lots of fizzing noises (like short circuiting). In desperation I performed a completely new installation (including new partioning of hard disk) and hoped that would help. A few days later I started to get the same messages. I remembered seeing a little message everytime that I was connecting a USB2 device to a USB1 port and that "the device may not function properly".

I then invested in a USB2 Card and since that day have had no problems at all. That is maybe 6 months ago now.

My advice therefore is to add the USB2 card and avoid any problems.