Bungalow Or 2 Stories Construction

I would say it would be slightly cheaper per square metre floor area to build a two storey dwelling.

I agree to some extent that the cost of the second floor could equate to the cost of the roof and also the columns need to be beefed up for two storeys.

However, there is still 1/2 bathrooms and 1 kitchen in either dwelling and these tend to be the most expensive rooms.

The cost of the land is another matter.

the taller the house the cheaper it is per sq meter.

In thailand, even if it's a bungalow, you need some 6m deep fundation piles. You safe as well on roofing.

If you still go for a bungalow make it elevated on stilts - you will have an extra space for parking, storage, loundry drying or partying under the house.

Ultimately a one story structure is cheaper on a square metre basis to build. If you look at how cheap buildings are built (in areas where land value is not a major issue) you will see that they are all one story. Most westerners however are not confident that the light construction used for these one story buildings is adequate so usually they will build a one story structure strong enough to support two floors...only they don't build the second floor. If, on the other hand, they were to build the first floor only to the strength required for that singular floor then it would be cheaper.

A 30 unit apt. building for students was recently built near where I live and it was all one story. The owners are considering building another complex just like this one and it will again be one story. Cheap shops all along the roads are typically one story...etc.

In thailand, even if it's a bungalow, you need some 6m deep fundation piles. You safe as well on roofing.

This is only true in some areas. Around where I live you don't need pile foundations. The plan books that I have seen for stock house designs always give two design options for the foundations...one for driven piles and one for concrete pad footings.

This is only true in some areas. Around where I live you don't need pile foundations. The plan books that I have seen for stock house designs always give two design options for the foundations...one for driven piles and one for concrete pad footings.

My contractor buddy says "building up is cheaper than building out". No matter were you live, building a roof half the size is cheaper. Unless you install an elevator to get to the second floor.

My contractor buddy says "building up is cheaper than building out". No matter were you live, building a roof half the size is cheaper. Unless you install an elevator to get to the second floor.

Yeah but a slab on grade is much cheaper to build than the second story floor. Around where I live you can use a 15 cm square prefab post for a one storey structure and it only needs a 40 cm square footing that only needs to be 15 cm thick. The grade beams can be very small too and for a single storey house you can use rebar about half the size of what is necessary for a two storey strucure. Also less labor as nothing has to be lifted as far...not so much ladder or scaffold work...etc......also more useable space as no stairs.

But all of the technical stuff aside....if its cheaper to build up then why are all the cheap structures only one storey?...I think the answer is that when done properly single story construction is cheapes if only the strength required is constructed.....but all too often people want to overbuild a single storey house and that drives the price up.

Chownah