Do I Need Driving Licence To Drive A Scooter 49cm3

fredbkk

Hi

In a word NO, doesnt matter what size the motorbike, you need a licence. Many people do ride without one over here but expect the consequences if your caught, or worse still you have an accident and happen to kill someone.

Many people think they can come here and do what they like, I always say would you do it in your own country? if not then why do it here.

Warwick

I don't have any driving licence. Can i drive a scooter 49cm3 or 50cm3? Need matriculation or registration?

I'm assuming you mean 49 cc and 50 cc. :o

But no, whatever. You must have a driving licence to drive a motorcycle. Minimum age 15 y.o. for bikes 90 cc and under. 18 y.o. for bikes over 90 cc.

I don't have any driving licence. Can i drive a scooter 49cm3 or 50cm3? Need matriculation or registration?

I'm assuming you mean 49 cc and 50 cc. :o

But no, whatever. You must have a driving licence to drive a motorcycle. Minimum age 15 y.o. for bikes 90 cc and under. 18 y.o. for bikes over 90 cc.

doesn't cc stand for cubic centimetre????

Warwick are you silly? Yes, i did it in my own country because it's not prohibed to drive scooter 49 cm3 (49 cc) without driving licence ! Just i asked if it's allow because i didn't want any problem !

Thanks to jayenram for his answer :o

Hi

In a word NO, doesnt matter what size the motorbike, you need a licence. Many people do ride without one over here but expect the consequences if your caught, or worse still you have an accident and happen to kill someone.

Many people think they can come here and do what they like, I always say would you do it in your own country? if not then why do it here.

Warwick

Minimum age 15 y.o. for bikes 90 cc and under. 18 y.o. for bikes over 90 cc.

Actually cc for under 18s is allowed up to 110cc

So without a license people can only drive electric motorcycles?

Or do they need a license also?

And about the license, I know it's officially not possible to get one with a tourist visa, but I'm sure it's anyway possible somewhere by paying a little more, but where... ? Should I go to some provinces where the law isn't as strict... ?

Thanks for help.

Fred

I'm not silly and if thats the way you react to people trying to help its a bad show.

If you read my response properly you would realise I said that many people ride a motorbike here without a licence even though one is needed, they think they can do what they like here just because its the LOS. Would they do the same thing in there own country ie break the law. If not why do it here.

Warwick

Was driving a 50c.c in May this year just outside Jomtien -got stopped on a police check -got fined 200 baht as didnt had my DL with me ,went straight to the police station paid the fine and that was that .

Soooo yes i beleive that you do need a DL :o

PS for (whatsupdoc)

c.c stands for cubic capacity

Hope this helps :D

Edited by PattayaAddict

Can i drive a scooter 49cm3 or 50cm3?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What brand do you have in mind fredbkk? i am interesting to buy a new one myself but do not find any.There are some Honda Gyro riding here but no new ones as i think Honda do not make them anymore.post-39372-1184910968_thumb.jpg

Minimum age 15 y.o. for bikes 90 cc and under. 18 y.o. for bikes over 90 cc.

Actually cc for under 18s is allowed up to 110cc

I was quoting from the Thai "Highway Code". However, it's been wrong before!

post-123-1184983288_thumb.jpg

Some sources say 90cc but I have always assumed it was just out of date because the Department of Land Trasportation website currently says 110cc, that could be wrong as well though.

Jake

Edited by madjbs

Was driving a 50c.c in May this year just outside Jomtien -got stopped on a police check -got fined 200 baht as didnt had my DL with me ,went straight to the police station paid the fine and that was that .

Soooo yes i beleive that you do need a DL :o

PS for (whatsupdoc)

c.c stands for cubic capacity

Hope this helps :D

What kind of measurement is 50 cubic capacity?

I beleive cubic centimeters is correct.

cu·bic centimeter (Abbr. cc) A unit of volume equal to one thousandth of a liter or to one milliliter.

Yes you should have one . I drive without , had a small accident once and paid a small fine for that !

I do have a multiple non O now , I thought you need a single to make one , not sure about this .

Maybe someone can tell me , I want to make one soon if possible though . In the past I went to make one ,

but could not because of tourist status . Police do not bother to much , but the thought when having a bigger

accident, troubles can escalate . But when driving around your residence with a scooter now and then I do not think

you should worry too much .

Yup, you need one.

Unless you're riding in an island or in Pataya. :o Still, it's drive at your own risk. And avoid accidents so you won't get fined. (Bring your driver's license from your home country. Makes things easier and cheaper.)