Wife In Uk For One Year Now

Hi Everyone,me and My Wife Lek have had a fantasic year,but I have just heard tat she has to take some kind of Exam so that she can stay in the UK aftr her Two Year Visa expires,is this correct and can anyone shed any light on what we have to do before she has to renew her Visa next Year.Also,and i know that this Question does not relate to this part of the Forum but is there any maximum amount of cash that you can tke from the Uk to Thailand? :o

Richard,

For your wife to qualify for indefinite leave she will have to either sit an ESOL with Citizenship course or pass the Life in the U.K. test, details of which can be found here.

Before she applies, you should read the Borders and Immigration Agency guidance notes, and don't forget that when the time comes if she does not have the language/citizenship qualification, she will not qualify for indefinite leave and should instead apply for an extension to her current conditions.

Scouse.

is there any maximum amount of cash that you can tke from the Uk to Thailand? :o

HM Customs and Excise state you have to declare cash of more than 10,000 euros if you take it to a non EEC country.

It's actually cash and cash equivalents, like travellers cheques.

However, that's just a limit before you have to declare it. You're allowed to take out as much as you like, just expect a few questions - like how did you earn the money (i.e. has tax been paid on it), and why are you taking it out of the country. (where the interest on it will no longer be taxed automatically.)

I believe it's really a new EU-wide limit for declaration. (which is why it's defined in Euros, and is mainly because there's a long history of people in certain high tax countries depositing their money in tax havens, and neglecting to declare the income back home, and so avoiding the ridiculously high taxes.)

is there any maximum amount of cash that you can tke from the Uk to Thailand? :o

HM Customs and Excise state you have to declare cash of more than 10,000 euros if you take it to a non EEC country.

It's actually cash and cash equivalents, like travellers cheques.

However, that's just a limit before you have to declare it. You're allowed to take out as much as you like, just expect a few questions - like how did you earn the money (i.e. has tax been paid on it), and why are you taking it out of the country. (where the interest on it will no longer be taxed automatically.)

I believe it's really a new EU-wide limit for declaration. (which is why it's defined in Euros, and is mainly because there's a long history of people in certain high tax countries depositing their money in tax havens, and neglecting to declare the income back home, and so avoiding the ridiculously high taxes.)

Mike,thanks for the advice.Next March we are going back home and wnt to take about £14000 back with us to buy some land in Essan.Would it be better to transfer this amount to a Bnk account,and if so what is the best type of account to have.There will however be a large number of people traveling with us as me and my Wife are going back to have a Budhist Wedding in te Viliage,so I could split the cash that Way.it is just that I have been told that I will get a far better rate if I change the cash whilst in Thailand rther than doing it here in the UK :D

it is just that I have been told that I will get a far better rate if I change the cash whilst in Thailand rther than doing it here in the UK :o

Dont change it to Baht within the UK. If you send it you should specify to send pounds and have it changed by the receiving bank once it reaches Thailand.

You would be better to browse and if necessary to post your question in the "Jobs, economy, banking, business" forum. There is information there about 'onshore' and offshore' rates. I dont think there would be very much difference in the rate for cash or SWIFT transfer and if you have a Thai bank account already I would do that.

Richard,

For your wife to qualify for indefinite leave she will have to either sit an ESOL with Citizenship course or pass the Life in the U.K. test, details of which can be found here.

Before she applies, you should read the Borders and Immigration Agency guidance notes, and don't forget that when the time comes if she does not have the language/citizenship qualification, she will not qualify for indefinite leave and should instead apply for an extension to her current conditions.

Scouse.

Hi Scouser,thanks for the advice.I had a look at the links that you provided,and some of the questions do seem to be a bit heavy,but i am sure we will be okay.sorry it has been so long since I last posted,but since Lek has been here in the UK,I don't seem to have had time to go online. :o Thanks again Richard

my neighbour's wife is illiterate in both thai and english, and on her own admission, can't be bothered to take advantage of the free literacy courses available in the uk where she has resided for the past ten years. how would that affect her?

my neighbour's wife is illiterate in both thai and english, and on her own admission, can't be bothered to take advantage of the free literacy courses available in the uk where she has resided for the past ten years. how would that affect her?

If you mean with respect to residence......

If she has lived in UK for 10 years she probably applied for indefinate leave or even British Citizenship many years ago. The life in UK tests were only introduced this year for ILR.