Australian Retirement In Thailand

fishhooks

I am a few years from the age of eligibility for the pension in Australia and was wondering if one spent quite an amount of time here in Thailand, married to a Thai as I am, do you qualify for your pension to be on-going as it would be back home.

Or, once you step on the "big bird" for a trip back here does the door slam shut.

I'm a bit of a believer that a Thai national with a large family here, does not settle well in another country on a long term basis, as do some of the other Asian races such as Filipino's and Chinese.

Thus I would like to share our lives betwen the two countries.

This is just a question in the back of my mind, not overly of concern, not of greed, but I did work in Australia for 40 years on an average of 6 days a week and like many others paid a lot of tax.

I think Americans, once they qualify after their working life, can settle anywhere they choose and receive their entitlement.

Thankyou in anticipation.

I am not old enough for the age pension yet and wont be for quite a few years. But I have been living in Issan for about 3 years now and have a couple of Oz mates in our town who are on the age pension plus small super payments. From what I have heard from them there seems to be no problem. Best maybe to have a yarn with the people at Centrelink if you want to find out officially. Otherwise do a six monthly run back to Oz if you can afford it to keep it look like you are still living in Oz.

You have to do two trips back to Oz per year or your pension will be adjusted to the cost of living in the country you reside in.

Your 40 years of work and paying tax count for nothing

Thai girls, well Asians as a whole are very resilient people and generally will settle well in other countries....Once they establish a circle of friends they get on just fine. If you were taking them from Thailand to somewhere west of Woop Woop then they could have difficulties but if you are in a large town or a city with a few other Thais around, then she wouldnt have a problem.

As an aged and disabled pensioner , recieving both a UK and an Australian pension, we find that Centrelink are trying to make it extremely difficult for you to be out of australia for more than inofficially 13 weeks, normally we inform them we are leaving for 26 weeks, that is allowed without getting penalised , but now after 14 or 15 weeks they send you letters informing you to come to your local office for an urgent interview, failure to comply would incur financial penalties,The first time this happened we flew straight back, to find out we had to give them details that they already Had. The second time we took the letter to the Australian consulate in Town , we were told that this is becoming common practise now,So to quote Confucius Fxxx Em!!, no skin off our nose!! we changed our way of life, with all these air lines fighting for our custom 13 weeks in thailand 13 weeks on Bribie island is no hardship and getting the best of both worlds, and just to make sure that centrelink dont forget where we are , we get the head of department to sign an affidavit , that if they have anything to discuss with us they will wait until we return after 13 weeks :o Nignoy

My understanding is that you have to come back to Oz within 26 weeks for a period of three weeks a time to attend the interviews and sign the forms...basically you have to spend 6 weeks of the year in Oz in two separate stays or face the adjustment...I still have real problems with this when we are talking about our Seniors who have worked all their lives and paid taxes, to slap this imposition on them is, to me, scandalous.

My plan is to use my super to set up a small business that my missus will manage and hopefully that will give us sufficient funds so that the pittance I will receive in the form of an adjusted pension really is just beer money.

As an aged and disabled pensioner , recieving both a UK and an Australian pension, we find that Centrelink are trying to make it extremely difficult for you to be out of australia for more than inofficially 13 weeks, normally we inform them we are leaving for 26 weeks, that is allowed without getting penalised , but now after 14 or 15 weeks they send you letters informing you to come to your local office for an urgent interview, failure to comply would incur financial penalties,The first time this happened we flew straight back, to find out we had to give them details that they already Had. The second time we took the letter to the Australian consulate in Town , we were told that this is becoming common practise now,So to quote Confucius Fxxx Em!!, no skin off our nose!! we changed our way of life, with all these air lines fighting for our custom 13 weeks in thailand 13 weeks on Bribie island is no hardship and getting the best of both worlds, and just to make sure that centrelink dont forget where we are , we get the head of department to sign an affidavit , that if they have anything to discuss with us they will wait until we return after 13 weeks :o Nignoy

Yes mate you are right and exactly my sentiments. I spent my entire working life paying a high level of tax only to run up against these restrictions when I married and made the decision to live in N.E. Thailand. For example my Australian wife passed away some years ago. I remarried to a Thai lady and found to my dismay that being married does not entitle me to more but in fact to less and I lost my benefits (medical etc). My wife has no income whatsoever.

I am OK because i have chosen to forego the pension and go back to work so it's a matter of just stashing it away for a rainy day.

Here is a point that I often wonder about. What about our millions of old time migrants. There must be huge numbers of old timer Italians, Greeks, Dutch, Maltese and others who migrated out to Australia after the 2nd world war. These people contributed enormously to our country in the last 50 years. I imagine that a high percentage of them return to their home country to retire and enjoy their families, grandkids etc. They should not be penalised but it seems that they are. What a sad endorsement for "the lucky country!!!!"

I'm American, retired military. Uncle Sam doesn't care where I live. I just put my monthly check into a US bank and Bob's my uncle. Either withdraw on ATM or have lump sums wired to my bank in LOS.
Glad to get rid of you :o Nignoy