Professional Karting Scene In Thailand

listenup

The one thing I really miss about home is the weekend trips down the local go-kart track taking turns with 6 mates on our shared Rotax go-kart :-)

I'm hoping that I can get that excitment back here in Thailand. Does anyone know if a) there are any shops who import and sell Rotax go-karts? :o Does anyone know if Thailand offers any tracks where you can bring your own go-kart along? c) Does anyone know of any go-karting clubs in Thailand?

If anyone has some insight into the go-karting scene here, I'd be really greatfull if you could explain more!

There's certainly a scene. I've seen news stories about it in Bangkok's English dailies before. I'm not sure how professional it is, though. It seems there's a scene somewhere down near Pattaya. I think it's even televised sometimes. There are recreational places such as the one at RCA.

Edit: Perhaps some in the motor forum would know more.

Edited by Jimjim

There is a karting scene here, with tracks in various parts of the country. It's most accessible in Bangkok and Pattaya -- Bkk has an indoor track at RCA and an outdoor track behind Seacon Square, and Pattaya has two outdoor tracks right across the street from each other, all of which have rental karts available. The indoor track only rents 4-strokes but the bigger ones have got decent power. In Pattaya you can rent some bloody quick 135cc karts but the maintenance levels and setups are a bit dodgy so be careful on your first few hot laps!

I agree the one in RCA is for the average father and son to spend some time togther doing something.

I'm interested in buying one outright, then racing it profeshionally. The link abaove has some great info.

Has anyone else on the forum own a kart? Or would be intersted in buying one? - It's alot better partnering up with someone to race against when practacing :-)

Has anyone else on the forum own a kart? Or would be intersted in buying one? - It's alot better partnering up with someone to race against when practacing :-)

How much is a medium to top of the line one, been thinkin about getting one for a while.

I agree the one in RCA is for the average father and son to spend some time togther doing something.

Yep, all them clowns who think there the next Shumacher & go there with their own helmets, gloves, suits, neck braces make me laugh...

Its alright for a game of pissed up taxis with ya mates from time to time tho..

How much is a medium to top of the line one, been thinkin about getting one for a while.

I used to kart a few years ago.

You should be able to get a Rotax engine for around 90k, an italian chassis for upwards of 100k, alfano for around 10k, Bridgestone tyres for 6k per set, shoei/arai helmet for 20k, boots and gloves for 2k each, sparco suit for around 10k, but I have a sparco suit I used once before I quit, I'd be glad to sell it for 4 thousand.

In bangkok the only place to seriously race is the track behind seacon. In RCA you can only use their karts and as a safety measure they limit revs on the engines so that the first one out is the fastest, the second is slight slower and the third one is slower than the second. Not very fun.

Do NOT buy an air-cooled engine, I used to have one and it would blow out once a month and need to have the piston polished, etc. A liquid cooled one is the best and I really didn't need servicing. The Rotax RM1 is too slow around the tracks here because of the need to shift through the corners and the fact that it's so heavy due to the extra body, heavy engine, heavy transmission, heavy reverse gear, heavy everything though it is much safer than others.

Go to the seacon track on the weekends and ask around, I know of two people you can hire to set up and maintain your car, though it is a very expensive hobby and I would spend a lot every time I went. Tires, gas, hiring a service crew, garage rental, and parts add up very quickly.

The is a big track on Pahonyothin (between Central and Major) there is a big castle in front of it (used to be the old Dreamworld i've heard).

I went in there to inquire when it first opened, but it is membership based and fees are pretty steep (something like 30,000 per year just for "membership") that does not include kart or even track time (got to own your own kart).

So you have to be pretty serious to go there, i'm sure they have some kind of professional scene there.

The is a big track on Pahonyothin (between Central and Major) there is a big castle in front of it (used to be the old Dreamworld i've heard).

I went in there to inquire when it first opened, but it is membership based and fees are pretty steep (something like 30,000 per year just for "membership") that does not include kart or even track time (got to own your own kart).

So you have to be pretty serious to go there, i'm sure they have some kind of professional scene there.

Yeah, I think it is owned by AIM racing. Went there once but it looked pretty constricted. I think they used barriers rather than grass so your body could be damaged very easily. The Seacon one doesn't require membership but track rental is 500 baht a day. Members paid a ungodly amount but you had access to your own storage area and closed-off paddock area and always could get a spot on any day at any time besides race days.

EDIT:

It seems that it's more organized now though and karts are much cheaper than before.

http://www.rotax-thailand.com/

Edited by MrSnrang

Hi Listenup, I raced karts her for many years, but only in Chiangmai and Pattaya, and there is a pretty large following, and races are often televised. I built two karts over the years, and have a great set of brand new spun aluminium racing rims up for grabs if you get round to buildin your kart. Feel free to PM me for info on karts.

post-7622-1184858264_thumb.jpg

Yep, all them clowns who think there the next Shumacher & go there with their own helmets, gloves, suits, neck braces make me laugh...

Its alright for a game of pissed up taxis with ya mates from time to time tho..

It's an indoor track, what did you expect... Superkarts at Nock Hill?

BTW, once a month they run races for whoever shows up with qualifying, heats, and a main, divided into A and B groups based on qual times. I'd be interested to see if any of you folks could keep pace with the usual bunch of Thai kids wearing shorts and sandals.

If you think you're fast and really want to see how you like karting Thai-style I'd suggest a trip down Pattaya way (they've even got an FIA standard circuit called Bira if you want serious racing), jump into the fastest rental kart available and see how you feel about the situation.

The most popular class for the over-35 crowd in Thailand seems to be that liquid cooled Rotax electric start deal. If I were to get back into karting that's probably the package I'd choose.