Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Switch from 1 year extension based on retirement to work permit

How does it work? You have a non O + 1 year extension based on retirement but you get a job offer in Thailand. Do you need to cancel the existing extension, get a Non B and apply for work permit and extension?

Thanks

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks. Helpful. Actually restarting the process by getting a Non B in a consulate abroad for the purpose of applying a work permit is not really an issue for me as I am currently working in Vietnam while i have the 1 year extension for retirement in Thailand. 

The company i working for want to relocate me to Thailand within this year. The timeline will be around July while my retirement extension is due for renewal in June.

My company is a bit slow planning things so I am anticipating a bit ahead. I can imagine asking to start in Thailand in July and told me once I moved that I need to get a Non B outside Thailand.

My registered address in Thailand is Phuket where the extension has been done but I will be based in Bangkok for the work (also BOI company).

I am wondering if I should proceed the retirement renewal while waiting the final move to Thailand with the company (exact date not yet define, July, August or Sep).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jphasia said:

Thanks. Helpful. Actually restarting the process by getting a Non B in a consulate abroad for the purpose of applying a work permit is not really an issue for me as I am currently working in Vietnam while i have the 1 year extension for retirement in Thailand. 

The company i working for want to relocate me to Thailand within this year. The timeline will be around July while my retirement extension is due for renewal in June.

My company is a bit slow planning things so I am anticipating a bit ahead. I can imagine asking to start in Thailand in July and told me once I moved that I need to get a Non B outside Thailand.

My registered address in Thailand is Phuket where the extension has been done but I will be based in Bangkok for the work (also BOI company).

I am wondering if I should proceed the retirement renewal while waiting the final move to Thailand with the company (exact date not yet define, July, August or Sep).

By the way, are you on a regular "O" or an "O-A" retirement visa now?

If it is a regular "O", and you switch to a business visa for a while, and then one day you want to go back onto a retirement visa, I believe that O-A might be your only option at that point. And I believe O-A might have some medical insurance requirements. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding. 

And when I was on a work permit before, I had to leave the country and come back in on a tourist visa in order to convert it to an O visa for retirement in Thailand. Since the regular O might not be available anymore, you might have to leave first and then obtain an O-A from an overseas Thai consulate if you would ever want to switch back to a retirement visa. Maybe someone else can chime in and reconfirm this though. 

1 hour ago, TylerBKK said:

By the way, are you on a regular "O" or an "O-A" retirement visa now?

If it is a regular "O", and you switch to a business visa for a while, and then one day you want to go back onto a retirement visa, I believe that O-A might be your only option at that point. And I believe O-A might have some medical insurance requirements. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding. 

And when I was on a work permit before, I had to leave the country and come back in on a tourist visa in order to convert it to an O visa for retirement in Thailand. Since the regular O might not be available anymore, you might have to leave first and then obtain an O-A from an overseas Thai consulate if you would ever want to switch back to a retirement visa. Maybe someone else can chime in and reconfirm this though. 

I am on regular Non O with 1 extension based on retirement (over 50) and multi re-entry permit.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I am not sure if that is correct.

I changed from retired to work permit about 20 years ago so the rules my have changed but I definitely did not leave the country.

I even had a work permit whilst on a retirement visa for a short while.

Labour office said 'You are retired from your own country. If we give you a WP and you pay taxes - nothing to do with immigration. Not their business'.

The accountant sorted it all out at a later date.

Talk about monumental BS. Work permit with a retirement visa. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jphasia said:

I am on regular Non O with 1 extension based on retirement (over 50) and multi re-entry permit.

I think the short answer is that you are going to need to reenter Thailand on a brand new visa if you want to go from a retirement visa to a business visa and eventually obtain a work permit. When I went from a business visa to retirement visa I also had to leave the country first and reenter with a brand new visa and start the visa process over again as there was no way to convert it. 

And if you have a regular O visa now, then you may not be able to get a regular O visa again in the future if someday you want to switch back to a retirement visa. Most likely your only option will be an OA retirement visa, which also carries medical insurance requirements. 

6 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Talk about monumental BS. Work permit with a retirement visa. 

Sorry but must call you out on this. The BS is on you.

Many years ago it was possible to get a WP on a retirement visa/extension.

Then it was discontinued and only possible on a Marriage Visa/extension.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TylerBKK said:

I think the short answer is that you are going to need to reenter Thailand on a brand new visa if you want to go from a retirement visa to a business visa and eventually obtain a work permit. When I went from a business visa to retirement visa I also had to leave the country first and reenter with a brand new visa and start the visa process over again as there was no way to convert it. 

And if you have a regular O visa now, then you may not be able to get a regular O visa again in the future if someday you want to switch back to a retirement visa. Most likely your only option will be an OA retirement visa, which also carries medical insurance requirements. 

Why not? If I stop work, they will cancel my work permit and will have few days to leave the country and come back either with Non O or visa exempt and re-apply for 1 year extension retirement as long as I have the minimum requirements (over 50, 800k...)

• Confused 1

If you meet the requirements for an LTR visa, wealthy, whealty retiree, professional..etc (look up requirements for LTR then you could change from your current visa without leaving the country and do so within a month or so.  Check it out.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TylerBKK said:

You will still be able to obtain a retirement again visa in the future. But there have been reports of people no longer being able to obtain a Non-O retirement visa and only a Non-OA.

At this point I think it could be good to consult with an immigration lawyer in Thailand to get definitive answers on your questions.

Whatever people tell you in these forums, including myself, although intended to be the most correct information, may not be the same case for everyone. So speaking with a lawyer would better guarantee that you are working with the most correct information that applies to your specific case. Best wishes. 

I was on a Non-O based retirement extension for one year. I then converted to Non-B, then work permit extension for many years. In October 2023 I exited to Cambodia, returned on a Visa Exempt (US passport), obtained a Non-O for retirement in Thailand at CW, then got my retirement extension in January 2024. So, in my case, there was no issue with the Non-O, other than needing a lease, being 50+, and having 800K in the bank.

• Thumbs Up 2

52 minutes ago, timendres said:

I was on a Non-O based retirement extension for one year. I then converted to Non-B, then work permit extension for many years. In October 2023 I exited to Cambodia, returned on a Visa Exempt (US passport), obtained a Non-O for retirement in Thailand at CW, then got my retirement extension in January 2024. So, in my case, there was no issue with the Non-O, other than needing a lease, being 50+, and having 800K in the bank.

Excellent. And that should be good news for the OP. 👍🏼

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Presnock said:

If you meet the requirements for an LTR visa, wealthy, whealty retiree, professional..etc (look up requirements for LTR then you could change from your current visa without leaving the country and do so within a month or so.  Check it out.

Ok, thanks. I don't know much about the requirements for LTR but I will check it out. I only understand that this is for wealthy people but I am not sure I am part of it. I have good incomes for sure but not sure if it's enough.

As for leaving the country, not really an issue for me. I am travelling a lot for my job and personal trips. 

But anyway, thanks, I will check it out.

5 hours ago, timendres said:

Yes, I am thinking the same. Unless they change drastically the requirement for Non O, I don't any issues even if I need a trip outside to get a new Non O and restart the process.

Again, my original question was if I am already on Non O + 1 year extension, do I need to get a non B outside Thailand to proceed the work permit application. And i understand from the previous feedback that yes. As I am in Vietnam now working for the same company, i will need to remind them this point before they ask me to relocate permanently to Thailand.