Affordable Self Storage In Bangkok?

Girlaboutglobe

H'lo,

I'm wondering if anybody's heard of affordable self storage in Bangkok, for books and clothes, that kind of stuff. I'm travelling around trying to figure out where I'd like to get an apartment and I simply cannot go on taking all of my stuff from guesthouse to guesthouse, on trains, busses, boats, and planes-it's madness! I just need about a small closet's worth of space maybe in the 300-400B/month range. Is it possible? I found "Bangkok Self Storage" online but they want 2000B/month for a small space and I'm thinking for that I'd be expecting a bed and a western toilet in there.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome!

Thank you so much!

Girlaboutglobe

Bangkok Self Storage has backpacker storage which costs 100 baht per bag per week. So, depending on how much you're storing it could cost as little as 400 baht for a month. And they're very secure, clean and professional. I've personally used them and recommend them. 2000 baht ($66) doesn't sound like a lot for short-term storage if you've got the whole contents of an apartment in there, but each to his own!

I heard about another one: Big Move Thailand http://www.bigmovethai.com/eng/storage.asp which charges per cubic metre. I guess you could get a lot into a cubic metre. I have no personal experience with them, but someone on here recommended them once.

Thanks for the info billp!

I only have a few books and some clothing that I need to store (hence the unwillingness to pay the $66/month), so a cubic meter would be ideal.

For anyone interested, I checked out Big Move Thai and it seems pretty good, I'm going to give them a go. I was quoted 250B/cubic meter/month. They also add a one-time fee of 140B. It's warehouse style, so you have to go during office hours to access your stuff (8am-6pm M-F, 8am-12pm Saturday), but they've been prompt and helpful in their communication with me, so it seems like a fairly safe bet. If I have any trouble with them (let's hope not) I'll follow up here.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Bangkok Self Storage has backpacker storage which costs 100 baht per bag per week. So, depending on how much you're storing it could cost as little as 400 baht for a month. And they're very secure, clean and professional. I've personally used them and recommend them. 2000 baht ($66) doesn't sound like a lot for short-term storage if you've got the whole contents of an apartment in there, but each to his own!

. . .

Business must be good for Bangkok Self Storage. I went by there today to look at their storage space and inquire about their storage rates.

The smallest rooom they had (1.5 by 1.5 meters) was 3950 per month.

A slightly larger room, (3 by 2 meters) is 4950 per month.

They told me it is climate controlled, thought that does not mean air con in the storage area, as it was quite warm inside. They do offer 24 hour access, and good security, but I thought much too expensive.

I'll be looking for a cheap room in Phrakanong for 2000 baht monthly or less.

I agree, I took a look too and found it WAYYYY too expensive for the space and service provided. Small closets where you have to pile your stuff high. It worked out much cheaper for me to rent a basic apartment, which is also central, at 3000 baht per month to store my condo contents with the ability to actually get to things when I need to.

If you are a tourist who only has one bag, and it's for a week or two, then it sounds cheap enough, but watch out if you use it longer. Bangkok Self-Storage rate is 100 baht a week per piece, plus 7% tax. As long as each piece is a standard suitcase or smaller it's 100 baht, but "oversized" is 200 baht, which includes larger boxes and bicycles... I was in their office one day and a guy had traveled to Chiang Mai and Laos for 6 weeks, came back and they hit him for 642 baht, just for one duffle bag. That's not exactly 'dirt cheap.'

I wouldn't say they are "professional". Standard, yes, as in "we have space, you have bag", but not like "going above and beyond" for the customer. For example why couldn't a bicycle be only 50% more (such as 150bt), why does it need to be twice the price? Take the front tire off and attach it to back, it's like a suitcase. Or how about if you want to keep your bags in for 3 weeks and one day, or just one extra afternoon, you likely still need to pay for the fourth week. Or how about a discount for longer term? I think the owner could make improvements in his overall operations.

Getting a small room in an apartment for storage wouldn't be a bad idea as long as there is CCTV camera on the floor, the residents aren't shady, and you won't leave anything of particular value (only blankets, household goods, lamps and stuff). Plus it gives you a room to sleep in on your first night back.

I was in their office one day and a guy had traveled to Chiang Mai and Laos for 6 weeks, came back and they hit him for 642 baht, just for one duffle bag. That's not exactly 'dirt cheap.'

Sounds pretty cheap to me in comparison with Left Luggage at the airport which would have charged 4200 baht for 6 weeks storage of one case. And I don't think it's unprofessional to have a fixed price and stick to it. I can't comment on the extra charges for oversized objects, but the amounts mentioned seem reasonable to me. Maybe they are negotiable. Did you ask?

• 1 month later...

Hey!

I was just thinking that is it wise to leave a laptop there? I'm going to go to Cambodia by bus within a few weeks, and I was thinking about leaving my bag with my laptop in some place secure for a week or max. two weeks. Any recommendations? What is the security level in Bangkok Self Storage? What about insurances against theft? Are there any theft? I'm gonna be in Bangkok within a few days, so I could just drop my bag in there and get when I return to Bangkok. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 7 months later...

. . .

Business must be good for Bangkok Self Storage. I went by there today to look at their storage space and inquire about their storage rates.

They told me it is climate controlled, thought that does not mean air con in the storage area, as it was quite warm inside. They do offer 24 hour access, and good security, but I thought much too expensive.

These prices are pretty silly. You can rent a 20m2 room for 2-5k baht/month.

I agree, I took a look too and found it WAYYYY too expensive for the space and service provided. Small closets where you have to pile your stuff high. It worked out much cheaper for me to rent a basic apartment, which is also central, at 3000 baht per month to store my condo contents with the ability to actually get to things when I need to.

I did the same as you, rented a small apartment room but I only paid 1200 baht per month :D ....ohhh and if the misses ever gets the dirts with me she can go and sleep there (you thought I was going to say I could escape there) :lol:;)

I did the same as you, rented a small apartment room but I only paid 1200 baht per month :D ....ohhh and if the misses ever gets the dirts with me she can go and sleep there (you thought I was going to say I could escape there) :lol:;)

Hmmmm what area? I might move my stuff. I'm paying 3500 for a room in Phayathai. Easy to get to, but 1500 sounds a bit better.

. . .

And we all now know some such rooms can be explosive...:whistling:

. . .

And we all now know some such rooms can be explosive...:whistling:

Aoneinn in Soi Kasem San 1, opposite the MBK Centre, has lockers for hire. Quite convenient if you stay in that area.

This just goes to show the level of greed in the storage industry. I've come across this scenario before where it's actually cheaper to rent an apartment than get some storage space.

This just goes to show the level of greed in the storage industry. I've come across this scenario before where it's actually cheaper to rent an apartment than get some storage space.

I do not see rental prices of the storage industry as unreasonable. Much depends on what you want to store - value vs rent, and degree of security needed.

I do not rent a safe deposit box to store my paperback novels, nor do I rent an apartment unit to store my industrial fuel and oil.

Most of the posts above refer to backpacks and household and personal items, which when lost due to theft or fire has minimal financial consequences, thus do not justified renting a space in a safe and secure storage depot.