Brunei Sultan's Thailand Visit to Strengthen Bilateral Relations

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of National News Bureau of Thailand

His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei has plans to visit Thailand from April 28 to 29 at the invitation of Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin. This official visit marks the 40th year of diplomatic relations between Thailand and Brunei, established since January 1, 1984.

During the visit, Sultan Bolkiah is due to meet with Prime Minister Thavisin to discuss cooperation across key sectors. Primary areas of interest include the halal food industry and the petroleum sector. These discussions emphasize the commitment between the two nations towards collaborative growth and economic advancement.

Additionally, the visit will see the leaders oversee the signing of a tourist agreement. This pact aims to boost tourism exchanges between Thailand and Brunei by focusing on several tourism aspects.

These include wellness, gastronomy, Muslim-friendly practices, sustainable tourism, ecotourism, and MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Exhibitions) tourism. Through this agreement, the two nations hope to further diversify and strengthen their bilateral relations.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-04-29

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The first time I went to Brunei was in 1983, with an English mate off the rigs. Having been to Bangkok, Singapore and Sumatra, we were going to visit some friends who were working for Shell in Seria. While queuing at Immigration in the then non-air conditioned airport, we were chatting about our plans, when a much older and fatter American guy started speaking to us:

"Did I hear you guys right? Have you come here on holiday? Are you crazy?"

We confirmed that we were indeed there to stay with friends for a week. The American replied:

"I first came to this craphole 20 years ago, and it's still a craphole, I hate the place!"

I guess he must have had some business there if he felt so strongly about the country yet was still queuing to get in at Bandar Immigration, lol. Anyway, we had a great time, alcohol was only forbidden for Muslims back then, though most places didn't serve it as there was simply no demand. Employees could buy as much booze as they wanted at the company store in the Panaga Club, and I found a shop run by a friendly fat Chinaman down in Kuala Belait who sold cheap beer. Over the next three years, I returned twice to visit my friends, and enjoyed every minute of it. Brunei is a bit limited in what you can do, but Miri in Sarawak isn't far away and is much more fun. We visited the Niah Caves and stayed with friends working for Sarawak Shell Berhad. Brunei was also a good location for seeing Sabah, probably the most interesting part of Borneo. Spend a few days on Labuan island, visit Kota Kinabalu, go to the national park and climb Mt. Kinabalu which is well over 13,000 ft high and has its own microclimate. Then on to the orang utan sanctuary at Sandakan. Brunei's much stricter nowadays about drinking, and I certainly wouldn't enjoy it very much, but 40-odd years ago it was a pleasant, quiet, off-the-track place to spend a few relaxing weeks. I'm not sure Thais will enjoy it though, unless they're devout Muslims, Sarawak and Sabah would be much more fun and interesting.

• Like 1

This is a man of such astonishing levels of moral bankruptcy it blows the mind when one thinks of the level of indulgences he has lavished upon himself. 

Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei’s automobile collection, valued at an estimated US$5 billion and consisting of over 7,000 cars, is often regarded as the largest private car collection in the world.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/trend/sultan-of-brunei-boasts-5b-private-car-collection-4699297.html

When you have gold cars with an umbrella platform, you can bet the private jets are going to be jaw-dropping too. A Born Rich report claimed the sultan has his own Boeing 747-400, Boeing 767-200 and Airbus A340-200 jets.

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/celebrity/article/3174250/how-sultan-brunei-hassanal-bolkiah-spends-his-billions

The Istana Nurul Iman Palace is the epitome of extravagance with more than 1,700 rooms, 257 bathrooms and five swimming pools, according to GQ India. The sultan reportedly has 110 garages on the property to house that insane car collection, and he also loves horses. He’s had special air-conditioned stables built to make sure his steeds are well looked after and in the best possible condition.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a man of such astonishing levels of moral bankruptcy it blows the mind when one thinks of the level of indulgences he has lavished upon himself. 

Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei’s automobile collection, valued at an estimated US$5 billion and consisting of over 7,000 cars, is often regarded as the largest private car collection in the world.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/trend/sultan-of-brunei-boasts-5b-private-car-collection-4699297.html

When you have gold cars with an umbrella platform, you can bet the private jets are going to be jaw-dropping too. A Born Rich report claimed the sultan has his own Boeing 747-400, Boeing 767-200 and Airbus A340-200 jets.

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/celebrity/article/3174250/how-sultan-brunei-hassanal-bolkiah-spends-his-billions

The Istana Nurul Iman Palace is the epitome of extravagance with more than 1,700 rooms, 257 bathrooms and five swimming pools, according to GQ India. The sultan reportedly has 110 garages on the property to house that insane car collection, and he also loves horses. He’s had special air-conditioned stables built to make sure his steeds are well looked after and in the best possible condition.

I would like to know about the women in his harem and how he finds them.

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He don't give a sheet the Sultan is a Very Rich man and the PM is only interested in begging for money. He has no Idea on customs and behavers of other countries, as with Russia. 

Money number one in Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sound like another Royal I know of.  🤐

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Additionally, the visit will see the leaders oversee the signing of a tourist agreement. This pact aims to boost tourism exchanges between Thailand and Brunei by focusing on several tourism aspects.

Will he advise the good Sultan that Phuket, Pattaya and Samui are not on the visit list as they are full... 

however the Boonies are open to all.

The 300 baht per head will still apply.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

These include wellness, gastronomy, Muslim-friendly practices, sustainable tourism, ecotourism, and MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Exhibitions) tourism. Through this agreement, the two nations hope to further diversify and strengthen their bilateral relations.

Questionable?

• Like 1

A few years ago a  Shipyard in Glasgow built three state-of-the-art the Art Frigates for the Brunais navy on completion he refused to pay for them. They had to tie them up until a buyer bought them at a knockdown price.

Lets see how the Thai PM reacts when 2 gays holidaying in Brunei get locked up in jail due to their stance of homosexuality. God forbid any ladyboys turn up in Brunei.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I would like to know about the women in his harem and how he finds them.

Well back in the day these guys had scouts that would scour the land and pick out very young beauties and recruit them to serve the king. I wouldn't doubt if a similar system exists today, but perhaps it's more of a worldwide system than a local system. This guy is so self absorbed, and denies himself nothing, so I can't imagine that he would have the self discipline to deny himself that. 

• Like 1

I don't know what all the fuss is about. It is his country and his money. He can do what he likes within the confines of the law as he knows it.

I'd probably do the same. 

He has loads of cars. There are guys on this forum with 3 or more motorcycles. They can't ride them all at once. There are probably guys on this forum with more than one woman. It is their life and their money.

I've heard that proper Brunei citizens can fly virtually free on Royal Brunei Airlines. Not a bad perk for all citizens. 

Healthcare is virtually free in Brunei and if the care they need is not available they are sent overseas (wiki)

Again I don't know what if any of the fuss is about. 

To top it off. As a fellow royal, he'll probably be invited to have a beer here as well.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Sultan Bolkiah is due to meet with Prime Minister Thavisin

At first I thought this might be a diplomatic faux pas. Normally meeting between two nations is quid pro quo in terms of leadership: Head of Government meets with Head of Government, Head State meets with Head of State.

The Sultan is a Head of State and PM Thavison is Head of Government. That seems inappropriate fir a meeting.

But the Sultan is an absolute Monarch which also makes him also Head of Government, so consistent with the meeting in Thailand with Thavison.