Preah Vihear

Spaniel

We are planning to take a trip around the Issan area and while there would like to see Preah Vihear. Can anyone that has been there give us any practical info , do's/dont's, etc. Also I hold a US passport and Thai retirement visa. Will I need a reentry stamp? My wife and son have Thai passports so anything special they need to do? We will be driving so I assume there is a secure place for vehicles.

We are planning to take a trip around the Issan area and while there would like to see Preah Vihear. Can anyone that has been there give us any practical info , do's/dont's, etc. Also I hold a US passport and Thai retirement visa. Will I need a reentry stamp? My wife and son have Thai passports so anything special they need to do? We will be driving so I assume there is a secure place for vehicles.

never been sorry, but looking at google for you, heres a couple of very helpfull links anyway

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/preah_vihear_cambodia.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preah_Vihear_Province

Temple on the hill ?, Everytime i have been there, i have never showed my passport, there use to be an old Helicopter on the hill, but i think that has now gone, it is an amazing place, little bit of a walk from the carpark, there used to be a sort of taxi that would take you to the end of road, maybe still there, not been in a while, amazing views looking down on Cambodia, go and see the caves. have a good day.

No re-entry stamp needed.

Large carpark personally had no security worries

If you have a yellow Tabien Baan bring it along so you get cheaper entry although Thai driving licence might work.

Don't wear flip flops as it is a long climb to the top

Last time I was there (this year), the Thais were charging Bht 400 per farang for access through the National Park. The vehicle was Bht 30 and the adult Thais, Bht 20.

In addition, we were told that the Khmers would charge a further Bht 300 per farang to visit the sanctuary.

post-123-1185769730_thumb.jpg

My suggestion would be to by-pass Khow Pravihaarn and visit Phnom Rung instead. The sanctuary at Phnom Rung is better maintained and the cost for a farang is Bht 40 (car parking free).

Edited by jayenram
Up to date information on the Khmer prices

Khow Pra Viharn is much more spectacular than Phanom Rung, but not for the faint hearted. Yorkie prefers Phanom Rung because you can drive to the top and avoid hard W**k climbing.

Although Pra Viharn is in Cambodia, you do not need a passport to go in. That is if it is open. Check first. A customer of ours went about a month back and it was closed to the public. That happens quite frequently.

Although the entrance fees are quite high ( for Thailand. You would pay 10x as much anywhere else) you do get access to all the national parks with the one ticket if used on the same day. The fact that you would need a Harrier jump jet to reach them all on the same day is of no consequence to the authorities.

Before you go into the Cambodian side though, you can thread your way through the minefields to see the Moo Dang Cliff. This is on the left hand side as you go in.

When you finally reach the top, you are rewarded with a marvelous panoramic vista of the Cambodian countryside. Well worth the trip.

As a member pointed out. Don't wear flip flops, although I can recommend climbing bare footed.

Khow Pra Viharn is much more spectacular than Phanom Rung, but not for the faint hearted. Yorkie prefers Phanom Rung because you can drive to the top and avoid hard W**k climbing.

Correct, you can drive to the top for an extra Bht 20.00 (a different entry gate though). But there are other reasons why I prefer Phnom Rung. It's nearer to my home, the entrance fees are vastly cheaper and it is definitely better maintained.

But, once you have been, you will never regret it.

A mate of mine bought a bottle of Johnny Blue at the base of the stairs, spent 10 minutes checking the seals etc etc, got home had a drink and it turned out to be lolly water.

We hired one of the kids to show us around, help my prego wife up the many stairs and it was worth it.

You can actually see into Laos from the their as well as Cambo.

Good luck, you will not regret it.