Expat Life And Death

paulsenp

I am not yet a Thailand based expat, but expect to move there (with my thai wife) within the next 3 or 4 years.

There are a lot of things to consider before such a move: Economy, health, social relations and much more.

One question, I wonder about, is:

What kind of plans, if any, do you make for the last part of your lives? This is of course of the greatest importance for those living alone, because, unlike the situation in most of the countries we leave behind us, we cannot just go to an "old peoples home" where somebody will look after us. What happens when people get too sick and/or senile to look after themselves?

I don't expect, that I would end up in a situation, where I would have to spend my last few years alone, but you never know.

What happens when people get too sick and/or senile to look after themselves?

Move to Pattaya.

Thats for sure,,everyone does it,,move,get an apt or high hotel room and then just fall out of the window.

Happens everyday.

FYI .... there was a big thread on this about 10-12 days ago.

Thanks, Spee, for the hint.

I am not visiting this forum on a daily basis, and missed that thread.

There were some quite interesting posts, but it seems to me, that to many people this subject is still a taboo, which you can make jokes about, but have problems discussing seriously.

Curiously enough, I'm as old today as my father was when he died. I used to think that I wouldn't get to be as old as him. So hopefully I'll see you all in the morning. :o

I am not at an age to seriously consider the options, but my main concern at present is not having enough money to be allowed to stay in Thailand. Should that happen, I think I will consult Maerim about the alternatives to moving to Pattaya. Otherwise I am confident I will be looked after, either by family or a paid caretaker. You could always choose a dignified way of departing.

Curiously enough, I'm as old today as my father was when he died. I used to think that I wouldn't get to be as old as him. So hopefully I'll see you all in the morning. :o

It's another day and I'm still kicking :D

Curiously enough, I'm as old today as my father was when he died.  I used to think that I wouldn't get to be as old as him.  So hopefully I'll see you all in the morning. :o

It's another day and I'm still kicking :D

Don't fight it then :D It is much, much better than a one way trip to the Wat.

Dear forum members,

I suppose paulsenp put a serious question on the table.

May be it is because of the age(in a previous poll, around 75% of the members are below 49 years of age!), but I could not see ANY ( well, may be one)serious reaction on his question.

If we don't like this subject than simply not react and don't tell him to jump from the 20th floor.

I am to become 62 years and of course I did and do think about this subject.

I don't want to become a burden to my wife (or children).I try to discuss this now,but it is difficult.

In Holland I had an agreement with my house docter about euthanasia ( which is legally under conditions).

As this is rather personal, I don't think too many serious reactions will show up.

So the thread will die automatically as do we all (in a dignified way as we all hope!)

Paulsenp: IF you have the funds, you can hire a live in nurse. As long as your documents (will and wishes) are in order, as long as your financial situation is stable, you should be able to find a decent caretaker. Your embassy representative will also be able to assist you in this matter. Registering your will/wishes with your embassy is also a wise move, as they will be obligated to act in your best interest should there be nobody else. There are many old, invalid foreigners in Thailand who have people to care for them. It's not an uncommon sight at all. I see it everyday. The expat community here is also very helpful and tend to rally together and lend a hand when necessary........it could be any of us one day so we hope the favor is reciprocated. Good luck to you.

In Holland I had an agreement with my house docter about euthanasia ( which is legally under conditions
I am all in favour providing of course it's voluntary, it's when they start making it compulsory that's when I'll make a song and dance about it.
There are many old, invalid foreigners in Thailand who have people to care for them. It's not an uncommon sight at all. I see it everyday.

As I said before "move to Pattaya", mind you there are more than a fair share here in Chiang Mai.

Thanks, dutch and rascal, for your comments.

I believe, that I will have my own situation under control in the - hopefully rather distant - future, with my wife, her family and several good friends. Also, my economic situation will allow me to choose rather freely between the available options.

I was more interested in hearing about what people, especially those living alone, actually do. Do people prepare for this, or do they just "leave it for later"? I suppose that some people end up in miserable situations because of lack of planning or simply through bad luck. What happens to people who are not able to take care of themselves anymore, people who are in need of help, medical or otherwise. Do anyone care about and take care of those people?

I believe, that I will have my own situation under control in the - hopefully rather distant - future, with my wife, her family and several good friends.

You are making an assumption that your wife will be capable of looking after you. It is also a possibility that you will out last her. (even if she's 40 years younger than you)

What then?

I believe, that I will have my own situation under control in the - hopefully rather distant - future, with my wife, her family and several good friends.

You are making an assumption that your wife will be capable of looking after you. It is also a possibility that you will out last her. (even if she's 40 years younger than you)

What then?

No, I am not assuming that my wife will be the one looking after me.

Actually, my wife is two years older than me. But with my wife and her big family, with all of whom we have good relations, several good friends, and our daughter who will be staying in Denmark, I believe that someone will be looking after me, when I am no longer able to do so myself. This situation may change, of course, you never know what will happen tomorrow, but I will try to prepare for that.

Again, I am actually more interested in hearing what happens to people, who end up in situations, where they cannot take care of themselves, and who haven't made preparations for this.

BUDA said it best,,I am a man I was born,I lived and I die. so that about says it all.

One way or the other ,so you might not die in comfort,but you are gonna die, I too believe that if you want,they should be able to shoot you up,we can do it for our dogs,but can not show our loved ones the same compassion.

What then?

No, I am not assuming that my wife will be the one looking after me.

Actually, my wife is two years older than me. But with my wife and her big family, with all of whom we have good relations, several good friends, and our daughter who will be staying in Denmark, I believe that someone will be looking after me, when I am no longer able to do so myself. This situation may change, of course, you never know what will happen tomorrow, but I will try to prepare for that.

Again, I am actually more interested in hearing what happens to people, who end up in situations, where they cannot take care of themselves, and who haven't made preparations for this.

"Again, I am actually more interested in hearing what happens to people, who end up in situations, where they cannot take care of themselves, and who haven't made preparations for this. "

I doubt you'll be hearing from any of these people as most of them dont have internet access. I suspect that they end up in the hospitol and when the money runs out, embassies and relatives are contacted or they are put into the hands of some charitable organization.

While  we  are  on  this  cheerful  subject  check  out  how  long  you  have  left  before  you  meet  the  grim  reaper  at   http://www.deathclock.com/    :o

I didn't like the first date it gave me so I tried it again, and again, and again. Eventually the date remained the same every time ..... 20 years earlier than my first attempt. :D

Ok, got my 20 years back, I was selecting sadistic and pessimistic by mistake :D For some reason a sadistic nature takes a lot of years off your life, although I would of thought that having a masochistic nature would be more of a hindrance to longevity.