Australian Immagration Rules

Help from any one with experience with Australia Immagration is needed?

I have a friend in Thailand now with his Thai lady and he is trying to get back to Australia with her

They have already had a 3 month tourist visa and kept all the conditions of this visa returning in side the 3 months to Thailand

He has now been in Thailand for 3 months and wishes to return with her to Australia on a 6 month Visa and during this time apply for a partner visa inside Australia. I have made enquiries at Aust. Immigration for him and find some of the answers a bit strange

1) Tourist Visas

These are for genuine Tourists to Australia. and Immigration gets upsets when multiple requests are made for tourist visa for ladies to spend time with their boyfriends, The officer I spoke to said that after one trip on a tourist visa your second trip should be made as a “Partner Visa” not as a tourist visa, and they are tightening up at Australia airports and the on duty officer has the power to cancel the visa if he feels the lady should have a partner visa and is travelling on a tourist Visa

2) 6 months Visa

Even though a 6 - 12 months visa is on the application form, Australian immigration does not give these visas to Thai nationals. 3 month is the maximum allowed

3) No Further stay

It is a policy of Australia immigration that all Thai visa are subject to a no further stay even if this is not printed on the Visa

4) Application for a Partner Visa While In Australia

Tourist Visas are issued to genuine tourists. and an application for a “Partner Visa” can not be made in Australia while visiting on a tourist Visa. she must return to Thailand and put in the application through the Thai embassy in Thailand

5) If applying for a Partner Visa

You can apply for a tourist visa to carry you over for a visit to Australia during the application

As I said this is information I have been given at an Australian Immigration Office

Is this correct or have I received wrong information for my friend in Thailand

From what I have read and experienced the information you have posted is largely correct with the following discrepencies:

OZ Embassy visa (outsourced) section in Bangkok grants one year multiple entry visas routinely even when a three month is requested.

In the past, it was usually the 3rd request for a tourist visa for Thai girlfriend that was turned down, grounds being by that time the relationship should have developed into such that a fiance (partner) visa would be inorder.

I agree that the partner visa is properly applied for in Thailand. There are different rules that apply for all visas and immigration actions while in Australia. Bridge visas are obtainable when your properly in the country and have a reasonable chance of having the pending visa approved.

Denying Thais "further stay" is customary, even if the visa doesn't have the stamp. Don't even try to get this visa restriction lifted unless serious illness, death or the like is involved.

One year multiple entry visa?  We recently applied for this but were only granted a 3 month visa (second tourist visa for g/f with me) and we were told that "only under exceptional circustances will we grant more than three months"

Another query...

Has anybody tried applying IN Australia for a De Facto visa while the Thai girl is on a current Tourist Visa??

One year multiple entry visa? We recently applied for this but were only granted a 3 month visa (second tourist visa for g/f with me) and we were told that "only under exceptional circustances will we grant more than three months"

I think there is some confusion on terminology creeping in here.

On my understanding a visa may be single entry, or 12 month multiple entry. However, the time allowed in Australia will generally be limited to 3 months for any visit.

He has now been in Thailand for 3 months and wishes to return with her to Australia on a 6 month Visa and during this time apply for a partner visa inside Australia.

If the Australian Embassy in Bangkok are made aware of this plan they may not issue the tourist visa. Tourist visas are issued for the purpose of touring/holidaying.

Why not consider applying for a Prospective Marriage Visa. (Fiance Visa.)

That way she remains with him in Oz, gets married in Oz and eventually becomes an Oz resident.

OZ Embassy visa (outsourced) section in Bangkok grants one year multiple entry visas routinely even when a three month is requested.

Hair splitting but this is not 100% true. The outsourced section accepts and processes the applications it does not rule on nor issue visa's in any way shape of form. The granting of a visa is still done by DIAC which is attached to the embassy. Even then the approval and issue is officialy done by an Australian working for DIAC, not by a local Thai worker working for DIAC or the application centre. Having said that clearly the approval for tourist visa's in particular will be on the advice of a local working for the embassy.

I have a friend in Thailand now with his Thai lady and he is trying to get back to Australia with her

They have already had a 3 month tourist visa and kept all the conditions of this visa returning in side the 3 months to Thailand

He has now been in Thailand for 3 months and wishes to return with her to Australia on a 6 month Visa and during this time apply for a partner visa inside Australia. I have made enquiries at Aust. Immigration for him and find some of the answers a bit strange

1) Tourist Visas

These are for genuine Tourists to Australia. and Immigration gets upsets when multiple requests are made for tourist visa for ladies to spend time with their boyfriends, The officer I spoke to said that after one trip on a tourist visa your second trip should be made as a “Partner Visa” not as a tourist visa, and they are tightening up at Australia airports and the on duty officer has the power to cancel the visa if he feels the lady should have a partner visa and is travelling on a tourist Visa

The first two sentences here are correct. However, many do get more than one tourist visa, if it is considered the circumstances are genuine. Airport staff may cancel a tourist visa on arrival, and refuse entry, if they are become aware the travel is for other purposes.

2) 6 months Visa

Even though a 6 - 12 months visa is on the application form, Australian immigration does not give these visas to Thai nationals. 3 month is the maximum allowed

Correct. Not usually available for normal tourism. Six month visas would usually be granted to elderly parents who visiting their Australian resident children as an example.

3) No Further stay

It is a policy of Australia immigration that all Thai visa are subject to a no further stay even if this is not printed on the Visa

It is normal practise for the 6503 condition (no further stay) to be placed on all visas issued in Thailand. This effectively precludes any further applications in Australia. If someone is lucky enough to get a visa without this condition, theoretically they could apply for residence onshore.

Tourist Visas are issued to genuine tourists. and an application for a “Partner Visa” can not be made in Australia while visiting on a tourist Visa. she must return to Thailand and put in the application through the Thai embassy in Thailand

see above

You can apply for a tourist visa to carry you over for a visit to Australia during the application

As soon as you apply for something else while onshore you cease to be a tourist. As MM said above, you are granted a version of a Bridging Visa during the processing period.

As I said this is information I have been given at an Australian Immigration Office

Edited by Old Croc

1) Tourist Visas

2) 6 months Visa

3) No Further stay

Usually they will tell you to apply for a prospective spouse/spouse visa after the third issue of a 3 month visa, However in recent times they have been issuing 12 month ME visa which allows for multiple stays of 3 months each stay after the first three month and in some cases on the first application of a tourist visa. So far no one here has tested what happens after that 12 month ME visa expires.

The officers at the airport will only cancel a visa if they have info that the intention of the visitor goes against the visa conditions or if they have info of other illegal activities or if there is an error on the visa

6 month visas have been granted previously but usually if there is extenuating circumstances involved. It is unusual for a 6 month visa to be granted these days.

The 8503 (no further stay) condition is usually on all 3 month visas, it is not on the 12 month ME visa. If it is not on the visa it can not be applied unless an error has been made....this could give reason to a refusal of entry if the 8503 is not on the relevent visa. However the holder of the 12 month ME visa cannot arrive in Oz after the date the visa expires, they can enter upto the date of the visa expiry. The 12 month ME visa can be cancelled if the conditions are breached ie; overstay the 3 month stay condition....the holder does not have to return to Thailand after each 3 months...they just have to leave Oz...and return.

You cannot apply for a more substantive visa while here on a tourist visa...unless there are extenuating circumstances, so you cannot apply for a spouse or prospective spouse visa while here on holiday. As MM has said...you can apply for a prospective spouse visa instead of a tourist visa which means you must marry within 9 months of the grant date. Once married you can apply for a bridging visa while awaiting the decision on the spouse visa application....yes, after you marry on the prospective spouse visa you have to still apply for the spouse visa.

If you apply for a spouse visa or prospective spouse visa, you can come here for visit while awaiting the decision on the other visa, they can defer the spouse visa application until the applicant is back in Thailand. The applicant must be in the country of application for the Spouse visa to be granted.

Hope that assists....I have used the word "you" a lot....I have used that merely as a general term.

One year multiple entry visa?  We recently applied for this but were only granted a 3 month visa (second tourist visa for g/f with me) and we were told that "only under exceptional circustances will we grant more than three months"

The Embassy reserves the right to issue visas as they see fit....sometimes a 12 month ME is not issued on the second application and two 3 month visas may be issued before a 12 month ME visa is issued. Sometimes the 12 month ME visa is not issued at all and you have to go through 3 X 3month visas. We are at the mercy of the embassy in regards to this.

I had a 3 month followed by a 12 month, my friend had 2 x 3 months followed by a 12 month, another person here got a 12 month first go. So you can see the variances.

In the 48R Tourist Visa application form, question 19 asks: Why do you want to visit Australia? Include details of any dates that are of special significance to your visit.

Most applicants answer this question: "Holiday" - or a similar short answer. They then usually get a three month visa.

This is the question where applicants should be more specific in their answer if they want a long term visa issued.

If, for example, you stated that you intended to travel by road around the coast of Australia, stopping in each capital city for seven days, having a few beers at every pub you passed on the way, shooting and skinning any stray roos that you come across and detouring inland to paint Ayers Rock green with a toothbrush, you may then influence the officer responsible for issuing the visa into giving you a single 6 or 12 month continuous visa so as to provide you with enough time to complete all the things you want to do.

Alternatively, and more seriously, if you stated that you need attend certain events over the next four months, giving details of location and dates....

or.....

that you need an extended time to ascertain whether your Thai partner will be able to settle into an Australian way of life, and/or to test the strength of your relationship,

then you could stand a better chance of getting a tourist visa for a period longer than the usual three months.

You would need to 'sell' yourself by attaching a covering letter to the application stating (or pleading :o ) your reasons why a three month visa will not suffice.

Ultimately, as others in this thread have correctly stated, the final decision will be with the Embassy, so you will have to either like it or lump it...but keep in mind, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I am currently going through this same process. I have spoken to a friend of mine who works in immigration in Australia. His strongly recommended advice was to apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa ( the cost for this is about $1400 ). This must be applied for in Thailand and is only valid for 9 months during which time your friends must marry in Australia. During this time your friends girlfriend can have multiple entry into Oz. This process involves an enormous amount of paper work and will undoubtedly drive your friend insane, as I am now visiting a counsellor daily with spinning head complaints - only joking. However once your friend is married they can apply for a temporary resident visa which is another process again, but much of the paperwork provided for the Prospective marriage Visa is held by the embassy for reference. After the required two years of the temporary resident visa they can then apply for a Permanent Resident Visa. Good luck it is not easy and it makes me wonder how some people have arrived in Australia it seems if you are genuine in your application you are put through the ringer.

Magpies 13.

My experience with the Australian Immigration is as follows, my wife was granted a 3 months visa when she was my girlfriend in 2003. Mid 2004 we were married in Bangkok and we decided to go to Australia to visit our family, friends and do some travelling up the country. She applied for a 6 months visa and it was granted but she was told no more visas and she would have to apply for an immigration visa. Nine months later she applied for a 3 month visa and it was refused with the officer saying that she had been warned before and she would have to apply for an immigration visa. She doesn't want an immigration visa as we're both happy living in Bangkok with our own home, car and enjoy a wonderful lifestyle together but my main point is why can't we have a holiday in Australia say every two years for 2-3 months without these visa hassles, I'm an Australian born citizen, I'm legally married to my Thai wife and we are very secure, on previous visas she never once contravened any Australian immigration laws. If we wanted to live in Australia fulltime she wouldn't hesitate to apply for an immigration visa.

Mason45, I suggest that you send off an email inquiry, or write to Rob Chambers at the Australian Embassy, Bangkok. Rob is one of the senior executives there and if anybody can give you a valid reason for your predicament, he can.

If your wife applied for a tourist visa and gave a compelling reason to return to Thailand at the completion of that visa, I can't see why she would be refused. With both of you living in LOS there should be no hesitation in allowing her to visit Oz every year on a tourist visa.

Hi Mason 45 and Mighty Mouse. I am very interested to see how this progresses. Last year when my Fiancee visited OZ we applied for a tourist Visa which was a complicated process with having to supply all the supporting documents for her to obtain the visa. On arrival in Melbourne she was processed by three seperate immigration officers regarding her visit to Australia while I waited for nearly an hour and a half worrying where she was. We also intend to live in Thailand after our wedding and predominately only want a visa so we can easily return to OZ without having to go through this visa process every time. Unfortunately there is no simple answer to this and we are going through the whole process of eventually applying for permanent residence in Australia.

Magpies 13.

Magpies13, the only reason that I can think of for not allowing wives to visit Oz on a regular basis (once per year), is that the authorities might believe that the applicant wants to work whilst in Oz.

(particularly if she asks for a three month visa.)

A strong application stating the exact legitimate reason for the visit should be enough to dispel any such fears.

I'm still totally confused about the whole thing, but have decided that the only way is to apply for a partner migration visa here in Thailand. My partner (thai) has been to australia with me, she has another valid three month visa but all the info we can get from immigration (in Oz) seems to indicate that the wisest and safest way is for her to apply here, in thailand.  I have heard that it is quicker to lodge the application directly at the Australain Embassy in BKK.  Can anyone comment on this?  Also, how long might the process take.  We would lik to be in Australia for Christmas :o

QUOTE(fosco @ 2007-08-06 17:11:11)

I'm still totally confused about the whole thing, but have decided that the only way is to apply for a partner migration visa here in Thailand. My partner (thai) has been to australia with me, she has another valid three month visa but all the info we can get from immigration (in Oz) seems to indicate that the wisest and safest way is for her to apply here, in thailand. I have heard that it is quicker to lodge the application directly at the Australain Embassy in BKK. Can anyone comment on this? Also, how long might the process take. We would lik to be in Australia for Christmas

At this stage there is a 3 week wait for appointment at the embassey. They pursuded me to go through the visa office.Which i am going to on Friday.

My 2 cents worth about the " no work whilst in Australia" rule on tourist visas, in case some don't already know:

Mt GF did not have it marked on the visa when she got it. They stamp it at aussie customs on the way into Auz.

Good Luck Mate.

ps , i'm going to my thread now to post the latest about my " journey "

I have heard that it is quicker to lodge the application directly at the Australain Embassy in BKK. Can anyone comment on this? Also, how long might the process take. We would lik to be in Australia for Christmas :o

Let's assume that you have completed the medical check and the police clearance. You have put together a very strong spouse visa application, have made an appointment at the Embassy and today is the day for the interview.

With all going well and no follow up papers or inquiries required by the case officer, you could expect a decision within 24 hours.

If you decide to lodge your papers at the VFS office, you might have a decision made somewhere between one and two months.

As Bakabas has stated, the Embassy would prefer you to go through the VFS office. This takes some pressure off their work load and if they now have a three week waiting list for an interview, it seems that too many applicants have heard about this as being the quickest way.

[

With all going well and no follow up papers or inquiries required by the case officer, you could expect a decision within 24 hours.

If you decide to lodge your papers at the VFS office, you might have a decision made somewhere between one and two months.

After reading your comment MM, i am now thinking to book an appointment at the Embassy tommorow , wait the 3 weeks and my wife can attend the interview, as i will be back in Australia. If this can save us being apart for a month or so then i will give it a go. I will let you all know ,here, how i go ringing them tommorow. After we do medical tommorow, are we given the results to give to the Embassy? if not, then how long before the results are made available for the interview.?

Sorry to butt in on your thread fosco.

Cheers.

This may answer some of your questions From the Australian Embassy Website.

Partner Migration Visa questions

What can I expect when I lodge my application?

Once the application is lodged your assigned Case Officer from the Visa and Immigration Office at the Australian Embassy Bangkok will write to you in acknowledgment that your application is received within 7 days. You will also be advised to provide further documents such as the police Clearance Certificate and to undertake health examination if required. You may also be requested to contact the Case Officer to make an appointment if an interview is required.

On receipt of any outstanding documentation, and if applicable, after an interview, your application will be considered against the related criteria of the visa class and you will be advised of the decision in writing. You may be asked for further documentation through out the processing of your visa.

Important: you should provide the requested information and documents within the time limit given and the due date is mentioned in the letter from the Embassy. After this date, a decision may be made on the available information on your file.

What if I wish to speak to someone to find out how our application is progressing?

When you lodge your application, you will be given a file number and the contact name and telephone number of the officer assessing your application. Due to the large number of application, the normal processing time for Partner Visa applications is 4 months. You should keep your inquiries to the minimum within this period after the application is lodged. You will be fully advised of any likely delays in processing your application for more than the 4 months.

What can I do to expedite processing of my application?

You should submit a complete application by referring to client information provided on the Embassy website about Partner Migration Visa and Booklet 1, Partner Migration.

Why can it take a number of months to process my application when I have already submitted all papers?

The processing of your application may be delayed for a number of reasons which may include character issues relating to previous immigration history or criminal convictions, child custody issues, or if further medical checks are required. You will be fully advised of the reason for any delays.

It has been some time since we lodged our application in Bangkok yet there are cases that are approved in much shorter periods. Why is our case taking so long?

The law and procedures are applied consistently for every application. However, each application presents different issues and that usually determines the processing time. Whilst not exhaustive, the following issues can affect the processing time to finalise an application:

• whether a complete application has been lodged

• whether all the requested documents have been promptly submitted

• whether the documents are in accordance with the format acceptable by the Embassy, for example, documents in another language have not been translated into English

• any past record of you previous visits to Australia;

• any past record of previous applications at this or another DIAC office.

We applied for a prospective spouse (fiancée) visa but are now contemplating marriage. Does this affect the processing of the fiancée application in any way?

No. Since 1 November 1999, Migration Regulations have been amended to provide an automatic conversion of a fiancée application to a spouse application where the parties have married outside Australia after making the application. You must advise in writing to your Case Officer at the Embassy providing the original and a copy of the marriage certificate and marriage license. There is no additional fee and it is usually possible to finalise the spouse visa within the timeframe advised at the time of making the fiancée application.

Note: You should not marry outside Australia after the fiancée visa is granted.

My spouse has children from a previous relationship but they are not migrating to Australia at this stage. Why are they required to undergo medical examination?

Under law, non-migrating dependents are required to undergo medicals. This is to ensure that the status of their health, should they wish to migrate later, would not compromise Australia's health care system.

I arrived in Australia from New Zealand a long time ago and have resided in Australia since then. Why am I now advised that I need to undergo health and character checks for my partner's application to be processed in Bangkok?

Under the Trans Tasman Agreement between New Zealand and Australia, New Zealand citizens did not need a permanent visa (some changes apply from 27/2/2001) to enter and stay in Australia. Therefore, they do not undergo health and character checks as all other migrants do. Whilst this has been acceptable for their own entry, sponsoring a person from a different country places certain obligations on them. In order to be consistent with sponsorships from persons who first obtain a permanent visa for Australia, New Zealand citizens are required to meet these requirements when they choose to sponsor someone.

mason45 on the money

gburns

i have been down this road and let me tell you you are in for some fun in the visa office in bangkok.

in the door and some thai yells turn of your mobile phone. the whole office is staffed by thais. not an aussie in site.

they hate you the moment you walk in.

3 years ago i brought my g/f out 3 monthsvisa that was a drama.

reason to visit

30,000 baht in her bank account.(bullcrap)

letter from her employer as to where she worked. (bullcrap)

plane ticket

copy of id card passport, fist full of paperwork.told to come back in 3 days

I had to provide, letter of invite, copy of funds in a bank,car lic, passport, all to be phostated and signed by a justice of the peace (notorized)

she got 3 month visa but spent 3 hours having an interview and was spoken to like a pig.

12 months later when i got married in thailand she applied for another visa to come to aust

back to visa office in bangkok same paperwork DRAMA untold even though she had previous trip over,

wife had travelled from udon thani expection a three day stay.

6 days and still mucking her around asking for thai translations of paperwork. Same type of paperwork as before but fresh. Wife rings me crying and upset.

So losing my mind i picked up the phone and rang embassy in canberra.

reciptionist.hello

me: Who do i speak to in regards a serious breach of australian law in the thailand embassy.

new gal, may i help you.

me: strangley no. this matter needs to be delt with by a supervisor regarding breaches of aussie law in the thailand embassy.

Newer gal, hello.

me:Good afternoon my name is """""" may i ask your position with in the department of immigration and your name

Identifies who she is.

I have a problem you may be able to help me with in regards to several breechs of the immigration act happening right now and i am not happy, its up to you if you still want to deal with this problem or pass it to someome higher up the food chain.

as i am obout to get of this phone after i Tell you my problem and drive into the brisbane supreme court where i intend to spend $125 and issue two writs of habeas corpus (show cause warrant) for the minister of immigration and a seperate writ for the high commissioner of the bangkok embassy, inviting along all the press for a show and tell as to what is going on over in the aust embassy and does the general know?

Well i had her attention

so after asking why my wife had to show 30,000 in a bank acout not in the immigration act

no requirement for me to produce bank statements not in immigration act,

why wife waiting 6 days, why rude and so on. and why is visa office staffed only by thais no ausie in office

newer gal: can i call you back in one hour i need to ring bangkok.

ok

phone rings back: i wish to advise you your wifes visa has been approved we have spoken to your wife and advised her of the approval her passport and visa and being couried to her.

Thank you.

Wife got 6 month visa and not stamped no further.

I got shirty and had a victory

the immigration prefer you saying holiday travel see the country very important also where you want to go,also that you will be responsible for all medical bills if she needs,also where staying when in aust and you saying you will be responsible for her living expenses and she will leave the country as you are really her sponsor.

Brisbane best place to get visa for thailand ao marriage retimement and 90 day ones

I dont know if the bangkok visa office has an aussie in there now but if they stuff you round the consulate is up the road and you can go in there and lodge an official complaint and ask to see the senior attache (they cant refuse yo0u by law)

my mate brought his defacto over with him on a 12 month visa his son got aussie passport by right of birth father is an aussie been in thai 16 years.

he applied for perm residency for her, price had gone up to $1950 went up in january

from the date of the application 2 years she needs full time in aust. to gain residency visa

but she can go backwards and forwards to and from thailand no visa required, for as long as she likes

Its easier to apply in aust and if you want bridging visas are easy to get they take 3 months to process they are slack here

Well Corvette, I can tell a different story....my wife and I have had nothing but pleasant experiences from the VFS office and I expect nothing different when we apply for the Spouse visa in the near future...The girl who took our first application was polite and spoke very good english, she spoke to my wife in a pleasant manner, there was no problem using their photocopier to make a few last minute additions....3 baht per page. I didnt have the right change for the VFS fee...I needed 5 baht change....she took it out of her own purse even though I told her not to worry about it.

Subsequent applications and enquiries by my wife on her own have also been very good.

Even my previous ex, when we applied for a tourist visa at the Embassy was treated with dignity and respect....not like the guy who turned up drunk in shorts and singlet with a girl, thatit was obvious he had not known long....they shunted him from floor to floor, the angrier he got....the more he got shunted.

So the key as I see it is....

Present a complete and accurate application....present yourself well....and keep your cool.

Nothing but praise from me. Went there for tourist visa and had a great experience. Went there today for medical forms, again polite and helpfull. The lady whos JOB it is to tell everyone to turn thier phone off, kept bending down to the bottom rack to hand me the paperwork that i went to get. Nothing but smiles and help. They have responded to lack of english speaking people there, by assigning a embassy representative to the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays for those who don't bring thier Thai speaking partner along.

Burnsie is right, you get out what you put in. Especially in Thailand. It's a Karma thing. :o