Is An Exception Topolicy Possible?

Returning to the topic:

If the German man's situation is as gentlemanly as made out, he would be a very acceptable neighbour to my neighbours in this little amphoe township. They are Thai, educated (though not necessarily schooled), thinking and cultured. I think his acceptability would be sensed by the shrewd Immigration Police Officers who I have met over the last decade at Nong Khai. They would advise him what application to put to them, for them to forward to Bangkok.

Of course, shrewdness works both ways. So, if he isn't the sort of person acceptable as a neighbour, he can expect to find no way forward except to go back to the country that has to put with him and his ways, because he was born in it.

The more I think about it, the more I come to respect the Thais for not having too much in the way of hard and fast rules.

The mechanist Victorians have a lot to answer for.

One is the resultant brain-washing that I was subjected to during those long periods of incarceration in a school!!

The Victorians invented rules (and developed formulae) so that things could be done by people who were too rushed, or lazy, or otherwise unable to think the immediate requirement through from first principles.

It paid off in making Britain into The Workshop Of The World.

But there were secondary effects, too.

One secondary effect is that we often fail to ask ourselves "What principles should be applying in this matter?".

In the case of whether to let in a foreigner, or keep one who is already in, I offer the principle of asking "Will s/he be an acceptable neighbour?".

And I have the gut feeling that, if the answer would be "Yes" in the case of this German man, he will be able to find a welcoming, helpful, effective Immigration Police Officer if he just goes nicely about explaining his predicament at their offices.

Were I a Thai official looking at this situation, I would be impressed if he had some reputable neighbours vouching for him, but if he hadn't then I would be wondering "Why not?".

Although I fully agree with you Martin I'm not sure if it works like that in Thailand.

I've experienced twice that visa rules can be changed and visa can be given that are not in the book, based on connections. But money nevertheles changed hands under the table.

The German should definitly take someone respectable to the immigration office to explain the situation. Does anyone know what happened to him btw?

Dutchy