Britain's Most Expensive Goalkeeper ... Villa Or Sunderland?

Sunderland

Craig Gordon currently in talks with Aston Villa and/or Sunderland about a proposed move from Hearts. Reports in recent weeks have claimed Roy Keane has bid upto 9 million pounds (including add-ons) for the Jambos' keeper. Martin O'Neill could snatch Gordon at the last moment after losing first choice keeper Sorensen to an injury; although Villa are reported to have bid a straight 7 million pounds.

Astonishing if it beats Barthez's record 7.8 million pounds move to Man U in 2000, for the fact that it's a Scottish keeper! Quite what Jimmy Greaves will make of it, I don't know. When we think of Scottish goalkeepers, we tend to think of Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and the infamous Jockstar!! :o

Alan Rough, what a goalkeeping legend :D

Think Sunderland are going to need a better keeper than Rough or Leighton this year. Although, think they'll stay up above Derby, Reading and a Titus Bramble and Emile Heskey inspired Wigan. :o

Although, think they'll stay up above Derby, Reading and a Titus Bramble and Emile Heskey inspired Wigan. :o

You did not mention BIRMINGHAM.

Do you think they will finish above Reading ?

I agree that Sunderland may well finish higher than Reading...but not by much

Alan Rough, what a goalkeeping legend :D

Think Sunderland are going to need a better keeper than Rough or Leighton this year. Although, think they'll stay up above Derby, Reading and a Titus Bramble and Emile Heskey inspired Wigan. :o

As an Ipswich fan I'm always delighted by the exploits of Bramble :D . Along with Dyer and Ambrose, the Toon army did well from Ipswich. post-39032-1186502422.gif

Gordon bagged by the Black Cats for a cool 9 million pounds ... :o

Will not believe it until I see him wearing a Sunderland shirt on Saturday against Spurs. :D

Believe it today sunderland :D

Gordon agrees £9m Sunderland move _44041425_craiggordon_snsb270.jpg Craig Gordon has been training with Sunderland this weekScotland goalkeeper Craig Gordon has agreed terms with Sunderland and a £9m transfer from Hearts will be completed on Wednesday, BBC Sport understands.

The 24-year-old had been expected to hold talks with Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill before making his choice.

But Gordon has agreed a five-year deal to become Sunderland's record signing after undergoing a medical at the club.

It is understood that Sunderland will pay an initial £7m, plus £2m in future payments dependent on appearances.

Gordon, who will become Britain's most expensive goalkeeper if confirmed, had spent two days training with Sunderland after a fee was agreed with Hearts.

The Edinburgh club's captain was expected at Villa Park, but Sunderland manager Roy Keane appears to have persuaded him that his future lies at the Stadium of Light.

Sunderland had a £5m offer rejected in July, but chairman Niall Quinn had stressed on Tuesday that they were determined to get their man.

o.gif

"This is Roy Keane's department really, but we are trying hard," he said.

"If it takes a bit longer, so be it. We are not going to lose our nerve now. There are lotsof bits and pieces going on behind the scenes.

"My message to our fans is that we haven't jumped in when an agent has rung us with a fashionable player.

"A lot of things have to fall right for someone to come to play at Sunderland."

Sunderland, whose current record signing is Tore Andre Flo after his £6.75m move in August 2002, have also made a bid for Tottenham striker Mido after previously failing to sign the likes of Leighton Baines from Wigan and Preston striker David Nugent.

English interest in Gordon had been rekindled after Hearts majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov last week indicated he would be willing to sell if the goalkeeper said he wanted to leave.

And Villa boss O'Neill had hinted that he had rekindled his interest after Hearts had reduced their "exorbitant" demands.

O'Neill is keen to sign a goalkeeper with Thomas Sorensen, who has one year left on his deal, set to miss the start of the season with a hamstring injury.

o.gif

BBC Sport understands that Manchester City boss Sven Goran-Eriksson was also considering entering the bidding - but it now appears that Sunderland have secured Gordon's services.

Steve Banks was in goal for Hearts in Monday's Edinburgh derby defeat by Hibernian as Gordon headed south.

And assistant manager Stephen Frail was sure that the Scotland goalkeeper had played his last game for the Tynecastle club.

"My feeling is that he has," he told BBC Sport. "If a bid has been accepted, it's just about personal terms.

"It's very sad and comes on the back of us losing our goalkeeping coach, Jim Stewart, so it's a difficult time. "But it just shows how good the youth policy is when one person moves for £9m."

Never mind Britain's Most Expensive Goalkeeper , what about the best keeper in the premiership !!!!!!!

Pepe Reina gets his hands on Barclays Golden Glove Award Aug 9 2007

by Nick Smith, Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL goalkeeper Pepe Reina is aiming to prove it’s not just outfield players who can net hat-tricks in the new season.

The Spanish goalkeeper will start the 2007-08 campaign on Saturday aiming to make it a third consecutive season as the Premiership’s top goalkeeper since joining Liverpool from Villarreal.

Reina has won the Barclays Golden Glove Award for the second season running after keeping 19 clean sheets last season.

His closest competition came from across Stanley Park, with Everton’s Tim Howard, who recorded 14 shut-outs.

Reina has kept 39 clean sheets in his 67 top flight games fir Liverpool and holds the club record for successive clean sheets since the Premier League began

Although, think they'll stay up above Derby, Reading and a Titus Bramble and Emile Heskey inspired Wigan. :o

You did not mention BIRMINGHAM.

Do you think they will finish above Reading ?

I agree that Sunderland may well finish higher than Reading...but not by much

I think sunderland will do ok this season - like reading last season.

they might not have the strongest of squads but they've got keane in the dugout and they came from nowhere to gain promotion.

and they've signed 2 of scotland's most reliable and consistent players in craig gordon & russell anderson. :D

Good luck to Sunderland! I actually think you'll do ok. I think Mido would be a good signing, What do you think Sunderland?

I would like Mido to sign for us. Looks like he won't be playing against Spurs tomorrow. But he could just as easily be off to Boro, Brum or Fulham. My money is on Fulham as it would allow him to stay in London.

If he doesn't sign ... we move on. Not the end of the world.

I am pretty optimistic we will stay up this season. Can't wait for the season to get started. :o

Never mind Britain's Most Expensive Goalkeeper , what about the best keeper in the premiership !!!!!!!

LIVERPOOL goalkeeper Pepe Reina is aiming to prove it’s not just outfield players who can net hat-tricks in the new season.

The Spanish goalkeeper will start the 2007-08 campaign on Saturday aiming to make it a third consecutive season as the Premiership’s top goalkeeper since joining Liverpool from Villarreal.

Reina has won the Barclays Golden Glove Award for the second season running after keeping 19 clean sheets last season.

His closest competition came from across Stanley Park, with Everton’s Tim Howard, who recorded 14 shut-outs.

Reina has kept 39 clean sheets in his 67 top flight games fir Liverpool and holds the club record for successive clean sheets since the Premier League began

Yes, you can't argue with those stats. Impressive. I wonder though if a keeper can be judged to be the best simply on clean sheets. Surely much depends on how many saves he is forced to make. Suppose he made 2 outstanding saves for every goal he conceded, how would that compare with a keeper who made 4 world class saves for every goal he conceded behind a weak defence?

The same can be said for strikers who score less but have a higher ratio when compared to the number of chances created for them.

Anyway ... let the season begin.

Roy O'Donovan to be the Premier League's top scorer with 36 goals this season. :o

I'm not convinced ny Reina at all. In fact I would say that he isn't in the top 3 goalkeepers in the EPL.

The statistics are good, but I don't think it tellls the real story. He often looks unassured, and is prone to making a few clangers, he certainly is lucky to play in a side that has a good defence.

I still reckon Chech, Freidel and Van Der Saar are better keepers in that they dominate the penalty box much more than Reina.

I wish spurs would be bold and sign a world class keeper,...Paul Robinson lets you down when the heat is on,....a good goalie comes to the fore under pressure,ie jennings banks,,.....it always seems to be the defenders fault according to (Robinson),....I always distrust those guys who when the teams in trouble going to the press and saying "wev'e all got to stick together fans and all",....good self preservation,......a bit like when Johnathon Ross of BBC plays the race card......"BBC is full of white middle class"......nice move Johnny boy!

Being a Jambo and having Craig living down the road from my Dad I am disappointed our captain left us but I think it was the right move for him. I'd rather see the guy at a top club where he deserves to be rather than Sunderland but there's no doubt he's potentially one of the best keepers in the World and it's a superb signing for the Black Cats. Given that he's still relatively young for a keeper he could be one of the best ever to play between the sticks.

He was being watched by Arsenal, Bayern Munich and other top clubs in Europe.

He's also a dyed in the wool Jambo so I will be following Sunderland's season with interest.

No doubt about it, Gordon is a cracking signing. Forget the size of the fee, he has a presence about him which will inspire those around him.

Yes Gordon could have gone to a 'big club' but he's gone to Sunderland. Not one of the big four, but how should we define a big club? Is a club like Spurs such a big club? People can rattle off statistics about Premier League finishes, FA Cups, etc., etc. but if you want to dust off the history books then Sunderland are one of the top 6 clubs in terms of being champions of England. Yes, it happened a bloody long time ago, but a club that enjoys considerably high support both home and away from a city of just 200,000 people speaks volumes for the city's fanaticism. The same could be said for another big NE club up the road ... but don't get me started while I am in a good mood :o:D

Yes, we'll be glad to stay up this season, but expectations are higher. Don't expect Sunderland to roll over and die this time around. Cue a 3-0 thrashing by Spurs!! :D

Ha'way the lads!

LIVERPOOL goalkeeper Pepe Reina is aiming to prove it's not just outfield players who can net hat-tricks in the new season.

The Spanish goalkeeper will start the 2007-08 campaign on Saturday aiming to make it a third consecutive season as the Premiership's top goalkeeper since joining Liverpool from Villarreal.

His closest competition came from across Stanley Park, with Everton's Tim Howard, who recorded 14 shut-outs.

Yes, you can't argue with those stats. Impressive. I wonder though if a keeper can be judged to be the best simply on clean sheets. Surely much depends on how many saves he is forced to make. Suppose he made 2 outstanding saves for every goal he conceded, how would that compare with a keeper who made 4 world class saves for every goal he conceded behind a weak defence?

The same can be said for strikers who score less but have a higher ratio when compared to the number of chances created for them.

Anyway ... let the season begin.

Roy O'Donovan to be the Premier League's top scorer with 36 goals this season. :o

We all know stats dont tell the whole truth and sometimes they can lie , but they do sound good when it's about your team :D:D .

p.s........ britains most expensive keeper had a solid game tonight , things are looking bright for the irish :D

Clean sheet for Gordon in his first game and a win for the Makems!

It was a quiet game for Gordon although there was one point in the first half were he came rushing out his goal and was nearly caught out by Berbatov.

Anyway it was nice to see Scotland's No 1 keep a clean sheet even if England's no 1 didn't. :o

Clean sheet for Gordon in his first game and a win for the Makems!

It was a quiet game for Gordon although there was one point in the first half were he came rushing out his goal and was nearly caught out by Berbatov.

Anyway it was nice to see Scotland's No 1 keep a clean sheet even if England's no 1 didn't. :o

Nice one Craig Gordon. Had him in my Fantasy Premier League Team too!

Aye, he came rushing out into no-man's land at one point, but he was just checking the penalty area markings. Nothing to be alarmed about. Nozza and McShazza had everything covered.

Sunderland were understandably a wee bit nervous, but Nosworthy and McShane kept the Spurs attack quiet and I though Etuhu had an effective game in midfield. Chopra took his goal well and celebrated in some style ... for a Mag!