Thai Driving Licence

womble

10 years ago I was banned and lost my uk licence, I have been in Thailand most of the time sinceadn drive on a 5 year Thai licence.

I'm from UK, can I legally use my Thai licence there? Could I hire a car in UK with it?

Also could I use it in Spain and france?

10 years ago I was banned and lost my uk licence, I have been in Thailand most of the time sinceadn drive on a 5 year Thai licence.

I'm from UK, can I legally use my Thai licence there? Could I hire a car in UK with it?

An international liscense issued in Thailand or from one of those American companies advertising on the net would be the way to go.

Thai liscense is for Thailand only.

An international liscense issued in Thailand or from one of those American companies advertising on the net would be the way to go.

Thai liscense is for Thailand only.

Are there any serious companies issueing such IDLs here in Thailand?

And a second question: Does an IDL really count in this country? And do Thai insurance companies accept such an IDL when coverage is needed in an accident?

I am from the UK, before coming to live here 4 yrs ago, Thai friends used to visit me evey year, my insurance Company accepted there Thai Drivers license evey time and they were added to my insurance..

No idea about car rental, but the big companies all have web sites, why not ask them

I am from the UK, before coming to live here 4 yrs ago, Thai friends used to visit me evey year, my insurance Company accepted there Thai Drivers license evey time and they were added to my insurance..

No idea about car rental, but the big companies all have web sites, why not ask them

Armed with your original (home) & IDL, it's not been a problem for me in LoS. Using your Thai driver's license with a Thai IDL should be OK anywhere. You might like to have something on you to show you live in LoS though...

To be safe I'd get an international DL issued by the Department of Land Transport (ie the same place where you get your Thai DL issued). Costs 500 baht. The best and most legit document that will ensure that you can drive legally back in the EU.

According to the DVLA website you will to be ok with your Thai licence alone in the UK :o

IMHO I'd get an IDP as well (get it where you got your Thai licence) as, if nothing else, it looks like something the plod will understand as being remotely official, as opposed to the Thai DL which looks like you've knocked it up on your PC :D

According to the DVLA website you will to be ok with your Thai licence alone in the UK :o

IMHO I'd get an IDP as well (get it where you got your Thai licence) as, if nothing else, it looks like something the plod will understand as being remotely official, as opposed to the Thai DL which looks like you've knocked it up on your PC :D

I was refused a hire car in the UK on my Thai licence, because, as the agent said, "for all I know this could be the membership card for your local video club". He said that even if he could just see the similar categories (A, B, C, D, E) to a British Licence/IDP he would have accepted it. Instead he accepted my friends Italian licence . . . .

Get an IDP from here would be my advice.

G