Investment Logic Of Foreigners In Thailand

gzu88bv

Just to be serious for a moment, if one looks at commercial investment, the new Business Act may go through today and be offered for Royal Assent. Now those who have company held properties will have to meet the 49/51% share and voting rights provisions.

Regards

PS Bendix, I'm working on my venom now :o What about membership cards for BITTER? Logo anyone?

They must be a long line of investors waiting at the door for this great opportunity.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now those who have company held properties will have to meet the 49/51% share and voting rights provisions.

no land office has ever approved of a deal where a foreigner held a majority of shares.

so what's new?

Now those who have company held properties will have to meet the 49/51% share and voting rights provisions.

no land office has ever approved of a deal where a foreigner held a majority of shares.

so what's new?

the non-approval of voting rights.

so what's new?

the non-approval of voting rights.

Thanks for that.

This would appear to be the key provision here, the previous technique of holding 49% of shares but all or the majority of voting rights is now expressly forbidden. Voting rights must be in accordance with share provision. No detail yet as to this having to be 1.1 but the intent is clear. A Thai majority owned company should be able to show to the satisfaction of the Ministry of Commerce that it is controlled by the majority. The next question then, given the existing provisions against nominees is the validity of undated resignation letters, power of authority et al.

Regards

There are still PLENTY of ways around this. Any lawyer worth his salt will structure a company so there are no problems, even with this new directive.

Hence my .. should be able to show to the satisfaction of the Ministry of Commerce that it is controlled by the majority but what is more interesting is will the system be as compliant to work-arounds as before I wonder, especially from a foreginer's perspective?

Regards

/edit PS Plenty, not so sure, but yes there are options.//

Edited by A_Traveller

There are still PLENTY of ways around this. Any lawyer worth his salt will structure a company so there are no problems, even with this new directive.

But Bendix you don't think there is a possibility over time the Thai's themselves

will become aware they could potentially wield a lot of power over the farang owner ?

Up until now may be many " sleeping " shareholders have never " tried it on "

because they realised ultimately the farang had structured things to effectively keep control.

As far as I understand situation the Thai shareholders must now have a more active role ?

Isn't it possible without prior warning that you could get some stroppy shareholders

who start to make trouble after the business after the business becomes profitable :o

If you read the OP's post properly, he and his pals are only asking about farangs like this
Why the hel_l so many Falangs with no legal rights to property (except the company route) come over here, buy land and house, a car or even a small business, and all this in the name of their darlings with the premises that one day all that investment may never pay off, be lost or even disappear.

The precise inquiry is why invest cash and put ownership in the name of your Thai darling? Would you do this back home? Would you invest, in some cases, your life savings and gayly put them into the name of a girlfriend only with no ownership rights of your own? I think not. And, that is the crux of the matter. We're not discussing all the ways you can own things yourself here.

I agree that it is wise to invest in all manner of things in Thailand if those investments make sense. hel_l, the whole world is my investment oyster. But, last time I checked, most foreign men who previously bought homes in farangland held them in joint tenancy or ownership with their wives. (I agree, most of them then subsequently lost those homes to the ex-wives in divorces! -ah the joys of being a man)

Now, granted, there is something in the "nesting" instinct that demands you settle your little piece of domestic bliss happily into a home, car, etc.. And, in Thailand, most men don't have much choice. Either put it in her name or rent. So, this forces a lot of them to lose perspective. Add to that the year-to-year insecurity of Visas for farangs and it really does add up to a stupid investment to put it in the name of your darling only. Yes, I agree with the OP. Having said that, I have put cars, motorcycles and other things in Thai wife's name just for ease of purchase and because I'm too lazy. In a divorce, those are lost, but to me, those are acceptable loss risks.

A 12 million Baht home or two? No way.

I agree with the logic of taking care of wife and children and there is nothing wrong with buying a house in your wife's name with that idea in mind, even if the children are merely twinkles in your and the misses eyes at this point.

However, don't delude yourself that this is an investment. It is a gifting. Plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that. But, it is what it is. Don't call it an investment until you've later sold it and personally realized a profit, unless you are on the title somehow.

And, yes, in the event of divorce in Thailand, if you are the main breadwinner, you will have your dog day anyway. And, divorce laws are kinder to husbands of this category than any in your farangland country anyway, probably. So, yeah, put it all in your sweety's name and sleep soundly. At least you won't have to worry about getting slipped a fatal rohypnol dose while you're sleeping. :o

Chinthee, you are right on the mark, as usual. Of course house and land in someone else's name is not an investment - not for the investor anyway. It is a gift. If you guys havent't figured that one out then I can understand the bitter stories - and there are lots of 'em; Thais have their own version. I guess all that we've been reading in the papers, in books, academic reports, and empirical observation for DECADES must all be foolish illusions. The Thai visa sages know best.

It boggles the mind that people overlook the "cliche" of non-existent property rights, rule of law, and citizenship to excuse or minimize the inevitability that occurs because of it: rampant corruption, greed, and scams.

But, since they are invested - and not just economically, I mean, we have the serious business of egos here - let's continue to perpetuate the real thaivisa cliche that this is all perfectly normal, just like everywhere else in the world. Carry on good gentlemen.

If you read the OP's post properly, he and his pals are only asking about farangs like this
Why the hel_l so many Falangs with no legal rights to property (except the company route) come over here, buy land and house, a car or even a small business, and all this in the name of their darlings with the premises that one day all that investment may never pay off, be lost or even disappear.

The precise inquiry is why invest cash and put ownership in the name of your Thai darling? Would you do this back home? Would you invest, in some cases, your life savings and gayly put them into the name of a girlfriend only with no ownership rights of your own? I think not. And, that is the crux of the matter. We're not discussing all the ways you can own things yourself here.

I agree that it is wise to invest in all manner of things in Thailand if those investments make sense. hel_l, the whole world is my investment oyster. But, last time I checked, most foreign men who previously bought homes in farangland held them in joint tenancy or ownership with their wives. (I agree, most of them then subsequently lost those homes to the ex-wives in divorces! -ah the joys of being a man)

Now, granted, there is something in the "nesting" instinct that demands you settle your little piece of domestic bliss happily into a home, car, etc.. And, in Thailand, most men don't have much choice. Either put it in her name or rent. So, this forces a lot of them to lose perspective. Add to that the year-to-year insecurity of Visas for farangs and it really does add up to a stupid investment to put it in the name of your darling only. Yes, I agree with the OP. Having said that, I have put cars, motorcycles and other things in Thai wife's name just for ease of purchase and because I'm too lazy. In a divorce, those are lost, but to me, those are acceptable loss risks.

I agree with the logic of taking care of wife and children and there is nothing wrong with buying a house in your wife's name with that idea in mind, even if the children are merely twinkles in your and the misses eyes at this point.

However, don't delude yourself that this is an investment. It is a gifting. Plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that. But, it is what it is. Don't call it an investment until you've later sold it and personally realized a profit, unless you are on the title somehow.

And, yes, in the event of divorce in Thailand, if you are the main breadwinner, you will have your dog day anyway. And, divorce laws are kinder to husbands of this category than any in your farangland country anyway, probably. So, yeah, put it all in your sweety's name and sleep soundly. At least you won't have to worry about getting slipped a fatal rohypnol dose while you're sleeping. :o

Chinthee, you are right on the mark, as usual. Of course house and land in someone else's name is not an investment - not for the investor anyway. It is a gift. If you guys havent't figured that one out then I can understand the bitter stories - and there are lots of 'em; Thais have their own version. I guess all that we've been reading in the papers, in books, academic reports, and empirical observation for DECADES must all be foolish illusions. The Thai visa sages know best.

It boggles the mind that people overlook the "cliche" of non-existent property rights, rule of law, and citizenship to excuse or minimize the inevitability that occurs because of it: rampant corruption, greed, and scams.

But, since they are invested - and not just economically, I mean, we have the serious business of egos here - let's continue to perpetuate the real thaivisa cliche that this is all perfectly normal, just like everywhere else in the world. Carry on good gentlemen.

Kat, thank you for that. I'm not looking for any accolades, I'm just living my quiet life here in Thailand. I have however, achieved many accolades for this experience so far.

It's all B.S.

Agreed with the above but would like to say it can still be an investment. There are always risks in investments. And for this the risks includes the relationship turning sour or the thai partner's betrayal. For me this risk means no risk. I know for sure that my wife will not trade me over even for a billion dollars and so won't I. Yes I know some are going to laugh at me but I am sure mine is not the only one in the so many thai/farang relationships.

No qwertz, I'm not helping you. You have choices, and you're being selfish.

I will reserve my assistance for ONLY those people who satisfy the following criteria:

1) They have been living in Thailand so long, every breath they take is rancorous and full of venom.

2) They can't go home because they've burnt their bridges, and they feel stuck in a place that once they felt like kings in, until the cash ran out

3) They have next to nothing to live on here, so angrily resent anyone else having a life

4) They post on Thaivisa.

I shall call it the Bendix International Tycoon Temporary Economic Relief fund. Work out the acronym for yourself.

Mr. Humility,

I point out that your arrogant, insulting, 'expert' opinions are not backed up with much experience...

...so that makes me breath venom, have burned my bridges, have next to nothing to live on and my cash ran out?

Pretty bizzare thought process you have there son.

Goes to show you usually don't have a clue of what you are talking about.

In the past (last two decades) Thailand was a fairly nice place to live....not too many big headaches. Expats came here to live because it was "easy." There really were no good alternatives to Thailand.

Now.....things have changed......the visa/business rules have become completely insane/xenophobic and good alternatives to Thailand have surfaced.....even lowly Cambodia has a far better economic growth rate than Thailand has (and far better visa/business rules).

So, I guess my answer is that we really did not have good alternatives to LOS back then, so we made decisions based on that (also it was easier to live here back in the good old days). Now all of that has changed. I think more and more expats/investors will choose to live/invest elsewhere......many are already doing so.

Are you STILL here? Jeez, you've been banging this 'Thailand is dead, let's all go to Cambo' drum for the past six months, with little else to say, yet you seem to be dragging your heels about going.

If you're short of the funds to get over there, I'm sure TV could arrange a collection.

:o:D ..... you're killing me, Bendix.... your stuff runs from +10 (like this one) to -10.

and JR...

:D

it's ok... you hang in there.... :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

turning serious now...

If one excludes the relationship issues entirely for a moment... and from just a financial point of view, I think Thailand is very diverse and I constantly encounter situations where economically, it's more sound to rent than buy. My current house if I were to pay a 10% down and then use the equivalancy of my rent payment as a mortgage payment, I calculated it would take 42 years to own! :D Ridiculous to buy in that situation; whatever the term is for that. It reminds me of being "upside-down" (owing more in car payments than the value of the car.)

I think the property market in Thailand is so diverse enough where some areas are like this and others aren't and where the above beneficial rent vs. buy situation doesn't exist, but it sure does exist here and other places I've been in Thailand. Places where a nice house can be rented for under 10,000 baht, but whose purchase price is in the multi-millions.

Why would they want to bother with that?The Thais can always change the rules more,at any time.I am led to believe there are a few other countries in SE Asia with better and friendlier policies.Why get kicked in the nuts and come back for more?

My current house if I were to pay a 10% down and then use the equivalancy of my rent payment as a mortgage payment, I calculated it would take 42 years to own! :o Ridiculous to buy in that situation; whatever the term is for that. It reminds me of being "upside-down" (owing more in car payments than the value of the car.)

Of course you seemed to forgotten that a car depreciates, whereas land & property (generally, over time) appreciate. However, I think most people buy more for security than investment - perhaps sick of being at the mercy of a landlord. But then again, they will probably end up at the mercy of their wife!

Ridiculous to buy in that situation...

i agree. but if you desire a certain life style in a home which is fulfills all your demands there is no other way than to build that home. we spent more than three months looking at homes in the 120-200k Baht p.a. rental bracket. what we saw made us either sick or laugh out loudly.

to each his own!

grammar! spelling! bloddy third glass of Port :o

Edited by Dr. Naam

Why would they want to bother with that?The Thais can always change the rules more,at any time.I am led to believe there are a few other countries in SE Asia with better and friendlier policies.Why get kicked in the nuts and come back for more?

perhaps some of us are masochists?

I've been here 6 years. For me, I am content to rent and spend money here daily. I have made no large investments or purchases: No cars, no homes, no condos. I am content to keep doing this. I'm online now with a European friend; he sent me a link to a hilarious video (he said). I noticed it was a youtube link. I told him that youtube was banned here. He asked if this was a communist state. So anyhow, I never burned my bridges but have no plans to return home. I am content to live here like this another 6-10-20 years. I dont know really but status quo is my motto. If any chit happens, I can pack up and leave tomorrow. Oh and no marriages for me here, not a chance thank you very much.

It's funny to hear Bendix talking about burning bridges. How about the reverse? How about miring yourself so deep in the cement here that you cant pry loose if you wanted to? That's a way to burn your bridges, all your eggs in a fragile Thai basket. I am steering way clear of that.

Edited by Jim Abbott

I had the same thinking as you, Jim. I lived there for 4 years, and I knew I didn't want investments of any kind in LOS - financial or emotional. And, I am not at all averse to risk, but I am not a fool; I can't afford to lose any of it.

I think if you are very settled financially, you have had your kids or a full life and are mature, you can live with the tradeoffs in LOS. I am not really there yet, and am still in my prime earning and relationship years. That's why I left LOS, and came back to the States. I think this is the advice of many of the same people on this thread, and it's sound advice.

However, I think if you are planning to stay for awhile, the price of some homes could be equal or less to long term rentals. I think in that way it is an investment, but I would never count on my property or condo appreciating in LOS. It is not really an unfettered market, so how can you count on it like others? *The Asian crash in the late 1990s began in the real estate market of LOS, among other things.

*I know the crash was very complicated, involving large and uchecked rapid flows of foreign capital, but before anyone jumps on me, there is no denying that the over-leveraging of bad loans caused the enormous and over-built real estate market in Bangkok to come tumbling down.

Edited by kat

I did an installation at a Penthouse 13 months ago here in Phuket, the owner bought it off-plan then for 20 million baht - I just went there the other day to service the equipment and the new owner (been there a month) paid 34 million baht, and is very happy. Next door is up for sale at 36 million and is just about sold.

I'm not saying this is an everyday occurance at this level, but even a year ago people were saying Thailand's a crap place for investment, yet here's a guy and his neighbour who have made 70% profit in a year (+ potentially another 20-30% if they invested US$)

I guess its risks and return, I haven't seen a single person lose money on Property here since I've been in Phuket. Although I'm sure some have been taken to the cleaners by girlfriends.

I act no differently financially here than I would in the UK, then again I have absolutely no qualms with the Thai wife owning the home.

I've been here 6 years. For me, I am content to rent and spend money here daily. I have made no large investments or purchases: No cars, no homes, no condos. I am content to keep doing this. I'm online now with a European friend; he sent me a link to a hilarious video (he said). I noticed it was a youtube link. I told him that youtube was banned here. He asked if this was a communist state. So anyhow, I never burned my bridges but have no plans to return home. I am content to live here like this another 6-10-20 years. I dont know really but status quo is my motto. If any chit happens, I can pack up and leave tomorrow. Oh and no marriages for me here, not a chance thank you very much.

It's funny to hear Bendix talking about burning bridges. How about the reverse? How about miring yourself so deep in the cement here that you cant pry loose if you wanted to? That's a way to burn your bridges, all your eggs in a fragile Thai basket. I am steering way clear of that.

You cannot predict what will happen in 6-10-20 years.I personally feel sorry for someone who believes they will not fall in love. Would not want to raise a family.To enjoy loving and being loved by a small child,to hold them in your arms,to be thrilled by their laughter,to see how their mind is developing, in the conversations you have.To know what it feels like to be a loved husband and father.To come home to an empty house,with no one looking forward to seeing you.No one to care for,no one to care for you.Sounds like your going to be very lonely.

Money is of course very important,but you cannot go out and buy a family, the day you come to realize that such a thing would be nice to have.Be careful with your money,save it, and invest it.Hopefully,one day,you will be blessed with a family of your own.You will then invest in many things for your family.If you live in the LOS you will invest there,if you live in Europe somewhere it will be there.

I live in Thailand with my family,and I invested here.

I had the same thinking as you, Jim. I lived there for 4 years, and I knew I didn't want investments of any kind in LOS - financial or emotional. And, I am not at all averse to risk, but I am not a fool; I can't afford to lose any of it.

I think if you are very settled financially, you have had your kids or a full life and are mature, you can live with the tradeoffs in LOS. I am not really there yet, and am still in my prime earning and relationship years. That's why I left LOS, and came back to the States. I think this is the advice of many of the same people on this thread, and it's sound advice.

However, I think if you are planning to stay for awhile, the price of some homes could be equal or less to long term rentals. I think in that way it is an investment, but I would never count on my property or condo appreciating in LOS. It is not really an unfettered market, so how can you count on it like others? *The Asian crash in the late 1990s began in the real estate market of LOS, among other things.

*I know the crash was very complicated, involving large and uchecked rapid flows of foreign capital, but before anyone jumps on me, there is no denying that the over-leveraging of bad loans caused the enormous and over-built real estate market in Bangkok to come tumbling down.

Isn't the whole ploy to get foreigners to spend on property and businesses they can't legally own, then when the billions of assets is enough they tighten the noose ( visas and ownership of company laws). This way they will weed out the foreigner from his assets and put in a unemployed stud to help with the left behind wife/girlfriend/boyfriend to borrow against the asset and have a spend economy without foreigners that are not hand picked.

You cannot predict what will happen in 6-10-20 years.I personally feel sorry for someone who believes they will not fall in love. Would not want to raise a family.To enjoy loving and being loved by a small child,to hold them in your arms,to be thrilled by their laughter,to see how their mind is developing, in the conversations you have.To know what it feels like to be a loved husband and father.To come home to an empty house,with no one looking forward to seeing you.No one to care for,no one to care for you.Sounds like your going to be very lonely.

Money is of course very important,but you cannot go out and buy a family, the day you come to realize that such a thing would be nice to have.Be careful with your money,save it, and invest it.Hopefully,one day,you will be blessed with a family of your own.You will then invest in many things for your family.If you live in the LOS you will invest there,if you live in Europe somewhere it will be there.

I live in Thailand with my family,and I invested here.

Oh boy! Do you really think you have more than a rent a family under present laws and conditions. You should be reminded of this at least once a year when you visit immigration. You don't get the feeling that they are telling you, yes

we want you they want you to have a thai family but do it in your own country.

Ridiculous to buy in that situation...

i agree. but if you desire a certain life style in a home which is fulfills all your demands there is no other way than to build that home. we spent more than three months looking at homes in the 120-200k Baht p.a. rental bracket. what we saw made us either sick or laugh out loudly.

to each his own!

grammar! spelling! bloddy third glass of Port :o

Has ANYONE ever seen a decently furnished house or condo for rent in Thailand even in the 100,000+ baht a month range?

Laminate floors, nasty kitchens, SB furniture (or worse) coffee tables, mahogany wardrobes with oval mirrors in them, and cheap chandeliers. They look likes sets from a Frank Spencer show.

:D

pnustedt. Stop it please. It's a universal TV right for the miserable clique on the forum to berate those who are living their lives happily and comfortably. If you don't let them, you throw the whole kismet of the forum out of balance.

Bendix, I wish you would do that without implying that all bar workers are cheats. There are good ones and bad ones as in all parts of society.

Pnustedt, good for you, make the most of it, you make a lot of people around you proud and happy.

Edited by Krub

This would appear to be the key provision here, the previous technique of holding 49% of shares but all or the majority of voting rights is now expressly forbidden. Voting rights must be in accordance with share provision. No detail yet as to this having to be 1.1 but the intent is clear. A Thai majority owned company should be able to show to the satisfaction of the Ministry of Commerce that it is controlled by the majority. The next question then, given the existing provisions against nominees is the validity of undated resignation letters, power of authority et al.

See lawyer, arrange enhanced voting rights ie: 1 share = 2 or even 3 votes. Simple

Edited by englishoak

Good question. I've wondered this myself for many years. It seems like the first thing, the very first thing, that comes out of the mouth of any stupid farang who gets involved with a Thai is that they're going to buy a small plot of land or condo in Thailand. What fools. Thailand does not welcome foreigners to start with, look at how this website is so popular, you need a huge resource just to figure out how to get legal residence in a country where you have a legal marriage! I have been married nearly 12 years now, with kids all born outside of Thailand (fortunately easy to get Thai passports for them) but as for me--not allowed more than 90 days visa. What an insult! People should be protesting this at the Thai consulates overseas, I have a mind to do that someday in fact. A friend of mine said he comes from Taiwan and the Taiwanese government is also very unfair to people who marry foreigners, not giving them residence in Taiwan. He said there have been some street protests on this fact.

In the meantime my wife can enjoy full right of employment and permanent residence in my country with a 10 year extension. Very easy for her. What Thailand does is not fair at all. As a matter of principle I will never buy land or invest there.

Back to your original topic. I know a guy who worked in Iraq as a private security contractor for nearly 2 years. Lost some of his hearing, came home totally shell-shocked from living in hel_l 2 years. Fortunately he made good money. I asked him if he has enough saved up, he says he and his wife used the money to buy land in Thailand. <deleted> is it too hard to find a place to rent there for your allowed 30 day stay?

You should checkout the websites on how to become a legal resident of the US when you're legally married. Thailand visa regulations are simplistic compared to the US.

"Thailand does not welcome foreigners". Far from it - you can step off the plain and get a 30 day visa at the airport. If you're married to a Thai or have financial resources, it's easy to get a 1 year visa. I know US immigration is not even close to as accommodating.

Did your wife receive a 10 year extension upon her arrival? My bet is she was given a short term visa which was extended after submitting an application and numerous documents. The process probably took a few months and wasn't easy.

Why aren't people protesting this at he US consulates overseas? Probably because most US citizens don't have an issue with it.

The fact that there are hundreds of thousands of Thais entitled to live the rest of their lives in the US as US citizens while there are merely a handful of Westerners in the same position in Thailand proves your assumptions to be utterly wrong.

Your reply wasn't that well thought-out. You could apply your statement to about any country in the world ( Mexico, Iran, Italy, England...). The vast majority of ex-pats in Thailand have no interest in becoming Thai citizens.

The point I was making was that visa hassles in the US far exceed Thai visa hassles. Do you think becoming a US citizen is an easy process? On average it takes 4 years and is a bureaucratic maze. Personally I don't have an issue with US immigration, but it seems a little insecure to bash Thailand's.

The fact that there are hundreds of thousands of Thais entitled to live the rest of their lives in the US as US citizens while there are merely a handful of Westerners in the same position in Thailand proves your assumptions to be utterly wrong.

Your reply wasn't that well thought-out. You could apply your statement to about any country in the world ( Mexico, Iran, Italy, England...). The vast majority of ex-pats in Thailand have no interest in becoming Thai citizens.

The point I was making was that visa hassles in the US far exceed Thai visa hassles. Do you think becoming a US citizen is an easy process? On average it takes 4 years and is a bureaucratic maze. Personally I don't have an issue with US immigration, but it seems a little insecure to bash Thailand's.

thai visa members do not like posting of hard facts that contridict the concept of thailand being anti forigners.

please refrain from ruining a perfectly good Thai bashing thread. :o

thai visa members do not like posting of hard facts that contridict the concept of thailand being anti forigners.

please refrain from ruining a perfectly good Thai bashing thread. :o

point taken :D