Options To Get To Chicago?

steffi

What are the options to get to Chicago? The return leg of my ticket is blackout right now. Something the travel agent didn't mention when I purchased the ticket. Secondly BKK->NRT with JAL is easy but NRT->ORD isn't.

Anybody in a similar boat?

What are the options to get to Chicago?

There are any number of ways to reach Chicago. It all depends on the number of connections you'll tolerate. You mentioned NRT. Were you planning on making a stopover in Japan?

What are the options to get to Chicago? The return leg of my ticket is blackout right now. Something the travel agent didn't mention when I purchased the ticket. Secondly BKK->NRT with JAL is easy but NRT->ORD isn't.

What are you asking? It sounds like you are holding the last two coupons of a ticket on JL for BKK-NRT-ORD, but that you are waitlisted for NRT-ORD? Change the date of travel or buy-up to higher fare class bucket or re-issue the ticket? Honestly not enough information here to even figure out what your situation is.

Yes that is what I'm saying. Waitlisted with something like 120+ people on the same date. Everything is heavily booked. I haven't enquired about buying up to a higher fare class bucket.

Re-issue the ticket? What does that mean?

The only reason I don't go thru the UK as an option is because the luggage allowance is so much less.

What are you asking? It sounds like you are holding the last two coupons of a ticket on JL for BKK-NRT-ORD, but that you are waitlisted for NRT-ORD? Change the date of travel or buy-up to higher fare class bucket or re-issue the ticket? Honestly not enough information here to even figure out what your situation is.

Put on a double breasted jacket and pants with some spats, light up a Swisher Sweet and talk loudly in a Thai bar about how you know all about organised crime......within days the CIA will have drugged and kidnapped you and you'll wake up in Chicago - lets face it they're as credulous as hel_l.....

Once in Chicago you can deny everything plead insanity and do interviews on Fox TV! - It worked for Mr Karr so I'm sure it'll work again.

Edited by wilko

• 2 weeks later...

Still waitlisting on JAL to get back to Chicago...

My blackout period recently ended and so I've tried to waitlist but still not luck.

What's interesting is that the airline seems to think you can stay indefinately and doesn't understand how inconvienient it is to remain here whilst you wait for a seat to open up. Secondly my ticket expires in a months time and they don't seem to prioritize your departure. You'd think they would be doing their best to see that you can get back home but they aren't doing enough in my opinion.

I inquired about a higher bucket but that's 59,950 thb per person (2 people) one way from NRT to ORD.

Anybody know if flights to the UK are as bad as this at the moment? I'm guessing I could go EVA to LHR without any hassle right now.

I just flew the same route. A JAL/AA codeshare to Narita, then direct on AA to Chicago. The first leg is on a JAL plane which was infinitely superior to the AA craft.

I think it's the most direct route.

If I were going to Chicago, I would do something innovative, (to make up for the fact that you have to end up in Chicago).

How about using a Oneworld award SE Asia/Middle east, and using it as far as you can get into the middle east, like Amman, Jordan, with Royal Jordanian Airlines, nonstop from Bangkok. this award is only 45,000 miles; considering the distance, that's not too bad. then, I would buy a roundtrip from Amman to Larnaca, Cypress, about $180 roundtrip. But now you're in American Airline's EUROPE zone... use an American Advantage off season award Europe/US, which is only 40,000 miles, and allows 1 stopover in the European gateway (paris, Helsinki, Budapest, London), and one stopover in the North American gateway, (New York probably). So it's cost you 90,000 miles, + $180, but you get to stop in some exotic places.

You could also buy a pretty cheap roundtrip Bangkok/Europe on either LTU or Pakistan Airlines, THEN use that 40,000 award on American, (depending on what month your traveling). I think it goes down to 40,000 in October.

But now that I think of it, you could even use that Europe/U.S. award all the way to HAWAII, making a stopover in Chicago, as long as you want, for the same 40,000 mile award, since Hawaii is still within their "north america" zone.

Or how about buying a ticket on Air Asia to Macau, then taking that cheap Hong Kong Oasis airline to Vancouver, which I think is about $350 one way, maybe even less sometimes, then buy some cheap ticket Vancouver/Chicago.

Or if you take the cheap web fare on Sri Lankan airlines to Beijing (about $200 one way), then you can hop on the Trans-Siberian Express train for a week to Moscow, about $500 one way, then use the American Airlines award from Moscow to Chicago for 40,000.