Training For Rottweiler Puppy

I just got a 9 week old Rottweiler puppy. I also understand that training is very important for this breed. Can any body let me know where I can find a trainer in BKK oter than the K9 school in Pattaya as that would be a little too far away. Also what kind of charges would I be looking at?

Is 9 Weeks too early to start training? Appreciate any advice given.

Thanks.

I just got a 9 week old Rottweiler puppy. I also understand that training is very important for this breed. Can any body let me know where I can find a trainer in BKK oter than the K9 school in Pattaya as that would be a little too far away. Also what kind of charges would I be looking at?

Is 9 Weeks too early to start training? Appreciate any advice given.

Thanks.

Why not do it yourselfe?

its mutch more fun, if your not too sure grab a book, the whole dog training thing is a bit complex at first but very common sense once you into it!

what field of training are you after basic house hold toilet etc? or more advanced?

dont be scared of it and youll be a better mate with your dog for sure!

and if you havent got enough time, maybe you shouldnt have him!

if ya need any help pm me and ill send ya my email be happy to write some basics down for ya!

all the best

chris

Hi and welcome!

I will send pm to you later on with a phone number from a very good dog training school in Bangkok.

But these people speak only Thai, hope you have someone who can ask.

I have seen some dogs which went their for training ( rottweilers) and all did very good.

About 7500.-Baht per month including food, very clean, nice people and even have a swimming pool for the dogs.

Gerd

Hi and welcome!

I will send pm to you later on with a phone number from a very good dog training school in Bangkok.

I have seen some dogs which went their for training ( rottweilers) and all did very good.

About 7500.-Baht per month including food, very clean, nice people and even have a swimming pool for the dogs.

Gerd

Thank you Thaigerd. I can speak Thai well enough for being married to a Thai Family. I am only looking for basic obedience training and normal house breaking training.

Just like to ask, does(will) my dog get confused if I give one set of commands in English and the rest of the family commands it in the Thai language?

Funny question but it does set me thinking. Should I only train my dog in Thai?

Hi and welcome!

Gerd

Thank you Thaigerd. I can speak Thai well enough for being married to a Thai Family. I am only looking for basic obedience training and normal house breaking training.

Just like to ask, does(will) my dog get confused if I give one set of commands in English and the rest of the family commands it in the Thai language?

Funny question but it does set me thinking. Should I only train my dog in Thai?

Send pm already to you.

I think it will be confusing for the dog if you use 2 different languages for the same command.

But what I did(do), the command for "sit" in Thai, command for "stay" in English etc.

But I'm sure some of our experts here will answer your questions later on.

Gerd

Basic dog training isn't rocket science, there's plenty of info on the net.

A lot of the dog trainers in Thailand like to have the pup stay with them, which is something I'm not keen on for a number of reasons.

Often the owners need just as much training as the dogs, it's important that the dog learns to obey it's owner and others in the household. Besides if you really love your dog would you really want to be away from him/her for weeks?

Are there any Schutzhund groups in Bangkok. If you cant find one you can look on the net. Its about the best deal going for those interested in training their own dogs and they have get togethers on weekends to help each other. While some view it as Police Dog Training its more of the basics but they do go into Sleeve Biting for their highest level, its very simple stuff.

The real K9 stuff is Bite Suits and KNPV and that level, its not for pets but straight working dogs. You can go to this link and download a real simple E-book on Schutzhund, there are also many articles for free but they are selling Videos and stuff too. There is also a message board with lots of dog training information, some good and some bad.

What Is Schutzhund?

Schutzhund is a German word meaning "protection dog." It refers to a sport that focuses on developing and evaluating those traits in dogs that make them more useful as breeding dogs and happier companions to their owners.

The orginial purpose for the sport of Schutzhund was to develop a dog sport that could measure the working ability of the dog so that information could be used in a breeding program to develop better working dogs with good temperaments.

Schutzhund work concentrates on three parts. Many familiar with the obedience work of the American Kennel Club's affiliates will recognize the first two parts, tracking and obedience. The Schutzhund standards for the third part, protection work, are similar in some ways (not all) to police work or personal protection work.

While dogs of other breeds are also admitted to Schutzhund trials, this breed evaluation test was developed specifically for the German Shepherd Dog. Schutzhund is intended to demonstrate the dog's intelligence and utility. As a working trial, Schutzhund measures the dog's mental stability, endurance, structural efficiencies, ability to scent, willingness to work, courage, and trainability.

This working dog sport offers an opportunity for dog owners to train their dog and compete with each other for recognition of both the handler's ability to train and the dog's ability to perform as required. It is a sport enjoyed by persons of varied professions, who join together in a camaraderie born of their common interest in working with their dogs. Persons of all ages and conditions of life--even those with significant disabilities--enjoy Schutzhund as a sport. Often, it is a family sport.

Edited by Mai Krap

Basic dog training isn't rocket science, there's plenty of info on the net.

A lot of the dog trainers in Thailand like to have the pup stay with them, which is something I'm not keen on for a number of reasons.

Often the owners need just as much training as the dogs, it's important that the dog learns to obey it's owner and others in the household. Besides if you really love your dog would you really want to be away from him/her for weeks?

I fully agree on the abovementioned, although the word 'often' I'd like to change in 'always'. It's very important that an owner learns the basics on dog communication, behavior development, teh enormous importance of socialization (especially with breeds like the rottweiler), how his/her behavior can influence the dog's behavior (such as with jumping up, barking, whining, fear and/or agression, the owner can unconsiously and unknowingly reinforce this behavior in the dog), how to play with a dog, how to give commands etc etc.

In case it is decided to send a dog to a training school

* make sure that the dog will be with other dogs for the necessary socialization and that the other dogs are carefully selected (it has happened that a dogs ended up in the wrong group or with the wrong dog and got completely bullied).

* make sure that your puppy or young dog will have sufficient positive interaction with people for the necessary socialization.

* make sure you can visit your dog on a regular basis.

If the school only focusses on teaching the sit-down-stay-etc (basic commands) and nothing else, then I suggest to search for another appropriate school. This also applies when you're not allowed to visit the dog or are not asked to be involved in the training.

Best is though, to find a school where they give obedience lessons as they do in the west, where both owner and dog goes to school.

As for the OP's question, I think in the pinned subjects 'importing dogs' there's an American man mentioned, named Patrick. He seems to be known with Soi Dog Rescue as well. You might contact them or the one who mentioned him in the thread.

Nienke

Are there any Schutzhund groups in Bangkok.

There are several with competitions and all, but so far I know mainly GSD's.

Yikes! :D Although, he states he uses treats and toys, he uses a lot of (unnecessary) force. But then, I belong to the group he certainly doesn't like :o

Nienke

My bull terrier was sent to one of those to try to curb her aggression.

She came back a nervous wreck and with plenty of well-developed mange.

Could you tell us more about your experience? Were you getting your dog trained in Thailand or somewhere else? My suggestion if one chooses to get into dog training is to get involved with a group that helps each other train and take classes that you and your dog go to together as a team.

Are there any Schutzhund groups in Bangkok.

There are several with competitions and all, but so far I know mainly GSD's.

Yikes! :D Although, he states he uses treats and toys, he uses a lot of (unnecessary) force. But then, I belong to the group he certainly doesn't like :o

Nienke

Can you define unnecessary force? What is your background in dog training? What group do you refer to that they would not like and why? Do any of the groups in Bangkok have websites or regular training meetings anywhere?

The website has lots of good information for those wanting to get started with simple dog training for free. It does go into some more advanced things but I don't suggest anyone watch a video and then try to work a dog on a bite suit, for that matter bite suits and even bite sleeve work is well beyond the scope of this forum.

Can you define unnecessary force? Using physical (and sometimes even mental) power/strenght at moments they are not required.

Ed Frawley emphazises corrections, by using choke-, his own made choke-, prong-, or electrical- collars. In cases of aggression he prefers to correct the dog (the dog on the picture in the article about dominance aggression shows a dog that shows fear aggression, not dominance aggression). Research and experience by competent trainers has shown that correcting a dog at the moment it shows aggression can increase aggression rather than decrease it or suppress the aggression. For example, when a dog receives a strong correction at the moment it shows aggression towards another dog that is on ... say ... 5 meters distance, the dog very well can receives this unpleasant experience as being caused by the other dog. So, next time when it sees a dog the aggression may come quicker ... say ... when the other dog is on 7 meters, etc. It can also be that the aggression finally stops. But this is not because the dog has learned to tolerate the other dog, it is because the dog has learned to avoid the correction by remaining quiet, meaning the real aggression problem has not been solved but suppressed. IMO that's a dangerous situation, like waiting till the time bomb may go off.

What clicker training does in a case like this is making the other dog's presence/arrival a pleasurable experience for the aggressive dog, with the result that the aggression will decrease.

What is your background in dog training? I'm a certified dog trainer and -behaviorist

What group do you refer to that they would not like and why? Those who use a clicker as training device. The 'why' part is written on his website.

Do any of the groups in Bangkok have websites or regular training meetings anywhere?Most possible they have. I'm up North and not involved. You could try the dog magazines. Sorry, that I can't be more specific.

In case anyone is interested to do some biting work in Thailand, a strong word of warning is IMO necessary as there are many incompetent helpers, who have already messed up many dogs. One example, a most fantastic Shutzhund III GSD of a friend (trained and imported from Germany) got an permanent injury in the neck due to the work of an incompetent helper during a competition in Thailand. Mr. Lee (mentioned in another thread by Dogfather, is a good person to contact concerning Shutzhund in Thailand. He has attended the world GSD Shutzhund competition at least twice. So far as I know, there is no French or Belgium ring (possibly because it's too hot for the helper to be in a whole suit) or police dog training by private people in Thailand.

The website has lots of good information for those wanting to get started with simple dog training for free.Was not able to completely read the e-books. What I did see, though, was a lot of advertisement for the chokes, prongs and e-collars :o It does go into some more advanced things but I don't suggest anyone watch a video and then try to work a dog on a bite suit, for that matter bite suits and even bite sleeve work is well beyond the scope of this forum.I agree, it can be down-right dangerous for both dog and owner.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

Can you define unnecessary force? Using physical (and sometimes even mental) power/strenght at moments they are not required.

Ed Frawley emphazises corrections, by using choke-, his own made choke-, prong-, or electrical- collars. In cases of aggression he prefers to correct the dog (the dog on the picture in the article about dominance aggression shows a dog that shows fear aggression, not dominance aggression). Research and experience by competent trainers has shown that correcting a dog at the moment it shows aggression can increase aggression rather than decrease it or suppress the aggression. For example, when a dog receives a strong correction at the moment it shows aggression towards another dog that is on ... say ... 5 meters distance, the dog very well can receives this unpleasant experience as being caused by the other dog. So, next time when it sees a dog the aggression may come quicker ... say ... when the other dog is on 7 meters, etc. It can also be that the aggression finally stops. But this is not because the dog has learned to tolerate the other dog, it is because the dog has learned to avoid the correction by remaining quiet, meaning the real aggression problem has not been solved but suppressed. IMO that's a dangerous situation, like waiting till the time bomb may go off.

What clicker training does in a case like this is making the other dog's presence/arrival a pleasurable experience for the aggressive dog, with the result that the aggression will decrease.

What is your background in dog training? I'm a certified dog trainer and -behaviorist

What group do you refer to that they would not like and why? Those who use a clicker as training device. The 'why' part is written on his website.

Do any of the groups in Bangkok have websites or regular training meetings anywhere?Most possible they have. I'm up North and not involved. You could try the dog magazines. Sorry, that I can't be more specific.

In case anyone is interested to do some biting work in Thailand, a strong word of warning is IMO necessary as there are many incompetent helpers, who have already messed up many dogs. One example, a most fantastic Shutzhund III GSD of a friend (trained and imported from Germany) got an permanent injury in the neck due to the work of an incompetent helper during a competition in Thailand. Mr. Lee (mentioned in another thread by Dogfather, is a good person to contact concerning Shutzhund in Thailand. He has attended the world GSD Shutzhund competition at least twice. So far as I know, there is no French or Belgium ring (possibly because it's too hot for the helper to be in a whole suit) or police dog training by private people in Thailand.

The website has lots of good information for those wanting to get started with simple dog training for free.Was not able to completely read the e-books. What I did see, though, was a lot of advertisement for the chokes, prongs and e-collars :o It does go into some more advanced things but I don't suggest anyone watch a video and then try to work a dog on a bite suit, for that matter bite suits and even bite sleeve work is well beyond the scope of this forum.I agree, it can be down-right dangerous for both dog and owner.

Nienke

I enjoy your comments but tend to disagree with you. My point in directing the OP to Leerburg is they have freebies mixed in with some basic tapes and sales stuff. I don't think you will find to many Dog Trainers who believe Leerburg is hard on dogs. I have seen lots of hard dog training and plenty of gentle stuff to. It all depends on the dog as to what works and does not work but discounting the value of a hard earned lesson is the equivalent of refusing to ever spank ones kids and the society we currently reside in is a testament of that being a horrible idea.

There is a fine line when it comes to using chokers on dogs. That fine line is the one between training and cruelty, the kind of cruelty that ruins dogs and makes them a danger to everybody around them. Not using a choker on some dogs can also be considered just as cruel in a western society where the dog gets out of control and has to be put down because the owner can not do anything with it. I would not recommend anyone on this forum trying to use a choker from learning it via video tape or anywhere online. It takes hands on training with a experienced dog handler and fine hands not unlike those of equestrians.

I have zero interest in any forms of German dog training or clubs now but like many thats where I got started back in 1982 with a crazy lady who lived with 10 and sometimes more German Shepherds. My directing the OP towards that area seemed like the easiest way to get them some basic answers for questions they were asking without oversimplifying things. In reality Bite dogs are a poor offense in most cases and a worse defense. A dogs nose is thousands of times more valuable than his teeth when it comes to any kind of Security, Military, or Police application. Warning, don't get me started on the high value of a fine Blue Tick Coon Hound :D