Doh! I Messed Up Big Time, Advice Appreciated

quiksilva

So after months of waiting for TOT to get themselves sorted out I finally got a DSL connection last week, I plugged in my Linksys ADSL2 4 port modem router (I believe it is a AG241) and voila I was surfing the net at surprisingly good speeds on my 1 meg connection (getting 800-900Kbps!).

Its IP address is the default ***.***.1.1

So after a week of enjoying the net playing online etc with no problems, I decided that it was about time I installed my Linksys WRT54G wireless router to my set up.

I went to linksys.com and downloaded the latest installation software, which they call Easylink, ran this and followed their instructions. Making sure to use the correct cables and ensure everything was plugged in correctly.

All the correct lights were showing just as described in the software on both my modem and the router. I then went to the next step and found that it could not 'see' my modem.

Frustrated, I called TOT and asked for their help, and they confirmed that DSL was being provided, that my username and password was correct (of course it was I was on the internet moments before) and had me check the network settings a few times verifying that I was using my ethernet port was trying to obtain an IP address and DNS settings automatically, which it was.

However, the LAN network settings says that it has limited or no connectivity, and I can not connect to the internet. I also can not ping the router / modem on that address, and can not connect to the modem via my web browser using its IP address.

TOT reckoned that I had to reinstall drivers for my ethernet card, and hung up the phone on me (Thanks TOT!!) but it was working fine before.

I have tried retracing my steps and connecting the modem as it was before but still no joy. Oh and after each major step I rebooted my PC and modem.

I am now stumped. I have no idea what to do.

If you have any advice it would be truly appreciated, I am not afraid to have a go, but am getting frustrated, and honestly would just prefer to pay someone to take a look at it and fix it on site. So if you know any firm that wouldn't mind coming over to my place (near the Mall Ngamwongwan) please let me know.

Thanks,

QS

As mentioned I called TOT and they tried to walk me through it over the phone, never a hint of sending a technician. I was polite at all times but couldn't shake the feeling that they just wanted to end the call as soon as possible.

I would say that both your modem router and wifi router have the same ip address - the default 192.168.1.1

if you unplug your wifi unit from the modem unit can you now communicate with the modem ?

and is not the Linksys WRT54G a modem , router , wifi access point ? if that is the case just use the Linksys WRT54G

if it is the case that your wifi router has an ADSL modem , let us know and we can talk you through setting it all up again

Quiksilva,

I use the same Linksys router you have although I have a different ISP service provider. Regardless, if you need help setting up your wi-fi router let me know.

To get you going though, please do the following:

--- Make sure you still have internet connectivity when you connect your ADSL modem directly to your PC.

If so, then let's take it a step further.

1) Connect your modem to the "Internet" port of the Linksys router.

2) Connect your PC to one of the available ports (1-4) of the Linksys router.

3) Open a web-browser (IE, Firefox, etc)

4) Goto http://192.168.1.1

5) Enter userid of "Admin" and password of "Admin" (unless you have changed it to something else... which is recommended!)

6) I presume you are using PPPoE... if so, then use the following as a guide and remember to select "Save Settings" before switching tabs.

SETUP:

Internet Connection Type: PPPoE

Username: [email protected]

Password: yourPassword

Keep Alive Redial Period: 180 (secs)

Router Name: WRT54G

MTU: Auto

Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server: Enable

Starting IP Address: 192.168.1.100

Maximum Number of DHCP Users: 5

Time Zone: Eastern Time

Auto Adjust Clock: Yes

BASIC WIRELESS SETTINGS:

Wireless Network Mode: G-Only

Wireless Network Name: imaginativeNameForYourRouter

Wireless Channel: 11

Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable

WIRELESS SECURITY:

Security Mode: WPA Personal

WPA Algorithms: AES

WPA Shared Key: someHardToGuessKeyString

Group Renewal Key: 3600

WIRELESS MAC FILTER:

Wireless MAC Filter: Disable

ADVANCED WIRELESS SETTINGS:

Authentication Type: Auto

Basic Rate: Default

Transmission Rate: Auto

CTS Protection Mode: Disable

Frame Burst: Disable

Beacon Interval: 50

DTIM Interval: 1

Fragmentation Threshold: 2304

RTS Threshold: 2304

AP Isolation: Off

SecurityEasySetup: Enabled

SECURITY:

Firewall Protection: Enabled

Block Anonymous Internet Req: Yes

Filter Multicast: Yes

Filter Internet NAT Redirect: No

Filter IDENT (port 113): Yes

ADMINISTRATION:

Router Password: someHardToCrackPassword

Access Server: HTTP

Wireless Access Web: Enable

Remote Management: Disable

UPnP: Enable

When you are done with this and have ensured that you have "Save(d) Changes", power off your modem and router (for approx. 30 seconds), and then restart them. If your PC is still being a "b*tch", then either reboot it or try more adventurous means to re-obtain a DHCP IP (hint: release and renew using ipconfig).

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

P.S. I personally do not use PPPoE. I have a cable modem.

Always start with the lowest common denominator. Check your hardware. Does the cable you're using work with another machine? Does it make any difference if you try another Ethernet cable? Can you connect to anything else via your Ethernet connection? Are there any of those dodgy yellow warning signs listed in your device manager?

If the answer is no, the next thing i would try is manually setting the IP address on my computer. If the router isn't giving out IP address's via DHCP then you may still be able to connect provided your computer has a valid IP address. I'm guessing your router will probably have an internal default IP address of 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 so if you manually set your computers IP address to 192.168.1.2 or 10.0.0.2 and try pinging 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 provided the network interfaces on both router and computer are functional chances are you'll get a response.

If you can get a response, web onto the router with your browser http://<ip address> and make sure DHCP is enabled. If it wasn't, enable it, save your changes and give everything a reboot. That should sort things.

If that doesn't work and you've exhausted all other options then you can flash the memory and reset the router to its default settings **note this reset your config**. To do this generally there will be a small hole either in the underside of your router or on the rear. When the router is powered on poke a small paperclip or toothpick into the hole and keep it pressed in for a few seconds. Power the unit off and on again. Make sure you know what the username and password you use to connect to your ISP are because you'll need to enter them again. There may also be some other settings you need to tweak, in particular the protocol encapsulation method generally seems to be PPPoE and the VCI set to 33.

If you've flashed it, I would remove the telephone cable from the router, first step is just to be able to connect internally. Try plugging out the Ethernet cable from your computer. Make sure one end of the Ethernet cable is connected to one of the LAN ports on your router. Plug the other end back into your computer. If you manually set your IP address, unset it. You want to be able to pick up an IP address given out by your router, so go into network settings -> tcp/ip and set your connection to 'obtain an IP address automatically'. On OK'ing all the network connection setting dialogues your machine should try and pick up an IP address from the router. If it does, you'll need to web onto your routers UI and change the username/password etc. If you've set everything reconnect the telephone cable and reboot the router. Fingers crossed ....

If its still not working try manually setting your computers IP again and pinging one of the default IP's mentioned earlier. If you can get a response you can web on the routers web UI. Make sure the enable DHCP is set to on. Reboot everything.

If none of that works and you cant sort it consider getting someone in to help. If you're in Samui PM me, maybe I can help you out.

Good luck

Malc

Edited by malcolmswaine

You need to manually set both the Modem and the router to different private IP adresses.

First start with the modem only, connect it to the PC.

Here you set up VPI/VCI. Password, Username, PPPOE according to the info you have from your ISP.

Check the IP address of the Modem, probably it is 192.168.1.1. If not, set it to this figures. Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

Find the DHCP settings and set the modem to act as a DHCP server.

Have a group of adresses starting with 192.168.1.10 as DHCP distributed adresses. Make sure to exclude at least the the number 192.168.1.2 from DHCP usage!!!

Now disconnect the Modem from the PC. Connect the Wireless modem directly to your PC. You won't be connected to the Internet now, nevermind!

Enter 192.168.1.1 (This is probably the default adress for your Wireless unit, if not, check the default in the manual, or do a manual reset (usually have to hold a switch for 10 Seconds or so, while powering on, check your manual!

Here you set up Wireless as explained before, set the DHCP server to disabled, and assign IP address 192.168.1.2

Save all settings, restart. Now check if you can access it by typing 192.168.1.2 in the browser. If yes, great!

Disconnect everything. Connect the phone line to the splitter, the modem output of the splitter to the modem. Use a Network Cable to connect from the modem to the router, and another cable to connect one of the ports of the Wireless router to the PC.

Reboot all units, including your PC. It should work now.

Hope that helps!

Sunny

Some great responses and thanks for all the advice, I have learned a few things here, thank you!!

I will be printing this off, leaving early from work and taking this home and hopefully I will be able to update you on the saga tonight.

Fingers crossed! :o

now you need to secure your wifi access point - unless you want to allow others to leach your hard won bandwidth. :o

I though my post covered that. Is there a better wifi security settings with the WRT54G than the WPA (Personal) and AES encryption?

now you need to secure your wifi access point - unless you want to allow others to leach your hard won bandwidth. :o

I though my post covered that. Is there a better wifi security settings with the WRT54G than the WPA (Personal) and AES encryption?

why do you broadcast your SSID ?

why don't you use MAC filtering ?