Thai Windows

billzant

Dear Forum,

How are you?

A couple of people have brought external media for me to copy files. I plug them in and cannot read the files.

USB MP3 player - songs had garbled characters as filenames and I couldn't copy the file.

CD - couldn't read anything.

I told them that it was because they had recorded using Thai Windows and my windows is English. I am now beginning to question whether I am correct.

I use XP SP2.

I have the language bar installed and can type in Thai in Office, but that is not the same thing.

Do I have to install Thai windows? Enable Thai windows?

Could someone lead me through it?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

I would think you could still read the file names but they would be in Thai. Even in EN mode you should be able to read thai font. TH mode just controls the keyboard input, and should work in many programs as mine does. If you have thai fonts enabled then maybe the files are in Chinese I have run into that before.?? PS I was able to copy the thai files and move them to cd, but I never open one. was using xphomesp2 english version.

Guest Reimar

May you need to chage the screen language to thai?!

Go to Microsoft here and download the LIP (Language Interface Pack) for Thai. But keep in mind you need to have a legit Version of XP to get the download!

After installing you'll be able to change the language from english to thai and vice versa via the Regional and Language Settings (Control Panel)!

Go to START-> Settings -> Control Panel -> select "Regional and Language"

Select the "Languages" tab and select the "supplemental language support"

You need your MS Windows CD to install this, I also work with a US version of MS Windows (bought my notebook in Seattle, USA)

Dear Forum,

How are you?

A couple of people have brought external media for me to copy files. I plug them in and cannot read the files.

USB MP3 player - songs had garbled characters as filenames and I couldn't copy the file.

CD - couldn't read anything.

I told them that it was because they had recorded using Thai Windows and my windows is English. I am now beginning to question whether I am correct.

I use XP SP2.

I have the language bar installed and can type in Thai in Office, but that is not the same thing.

Do I have to install Thai windows? Enable Thai windows?

Could someone lead me through it?

All the Best

Bill Z

It is not clear exactly what the problem is, but I have my suspicions. If filenames were in Unicode (as they would be if created by any Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista system) they should show up just fine. I think that an old non Unicode Windows 95/98/ME system was used to create the files. [As an aside, and I do not remember all the details, some language versions of 98/ME support Unicode and some, including the US English version, do not.]

One thing to try (though I am not optimistic that it will help in this case) is to set the "Language for non Unicode programs" to Thai under the Advanced tab of Regional and Language Settings in Control Panel.

Since this is probably a not uncommon issue, it is possible someone may have written a utility to deal with it. I am not aware of one, though. A search of the Microsoft Knowledge Base may turn up a solution. Worst case, you may need an old version of Windows 98 Thai to get around the problem. Good luck!

It is not clear exactly what the problem is, but I have my suspicions. If filenames were in Unicode (as they would be if created by any Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista system) they should show up just fine. I think that an old non Unicode Windows 95/98/ME system was used to create the files. [As an aside, and I do not remember all the details, some language versions of 98/ME support Unicode and some, including the US English version, do not.]

One thing to try (though I am not optimistic that it will help in this case) is to set the "Language for non Unicode programs" to Thai under the Advanced tab of Regional and Language Settings in Control Panel.

Since this is probably a not uncommon issue, it is possible someone may have written a utility to deal with it. I am not aware of one, though. A search of the Microsoft Knowledge Base may turn up a solution. Worst case, you may need an old version of Windows 98 Thai to get around the problem. Good luck!

Dear Forum,

Reimar sorry but the Language Interface Pack was a disaster. All the system language became Thai on restart. I found system restore and it is OK now.

Richard-Bkk I have already used regional and language control panel, and got the language bar. I have no problem inside word because of that, it is only the external media.

What you say, Brittim, is interesting, as I recall having a similar problemin the Middle East with Arabic a few years ago - the external media had names that were written in gobbledygook (machine code?) and wouldn't move.

I cannot recreate the problem at the moment but will write again when I can.

All the Best

Bill Z

Guest Reimar
Reimar sorry but the Language Interface Pack was a disaster. All the system language became Thai on restart. I found system restore and it is OK now.

Hi Bill Z,

if you use a LIP the complete Language is changing, incl. the screen language. May I wasn't write clear enough (shame)! But as I wrote: After installing you'll be able to change the language from english to thai and vice versa via the Regional and Language Settings (Control Panel)! you can change the language at all time via the Control Panel (need a log off and log on).

Cheers