Loburi To? Info And...

deejah

hi there

i am new to this forum but thought i would give it a try

please pardon my spelling and grammar

i am in lopuri from bangkok and thought it would be nice to go and stay in another town or towns not too far away or travel around a bit by train bus or hitch hike not too far before returning to bkk

get this

i found a copy of lonely planet thailand 2005 but it doesnt have any of the towns near here in it

the book has basically left out a chunk of thailand

any suggestions?

i am currently staying in lopuri at the nett hotle which i can reccomend as i have looked at quite a few of the hotels in old town (old and grungy mostly) and for 400 baht i got a nice clean room with all amenities

local food and internet is cheap and not far from greenery and fresh air

oh and lots of monkeys

thanks to all and am looking forward to perhaps more visits to this forum

on the map i see

singburi, ban mi, chainat, tha khli, khok samrong, etc....

i have no clue if they have inns or hotels or guest houses

maybe i just need to go and see for myself or search online

i just thought it would be nice to know which towns at least had accomodations

Why don't you forget what is or isn't in the guide book and just check out some of the nearby places on your own? In Thailand you can always get a bus or songthaew just about anywhere. There's almost always some sort of hotel or guest house, even if it's an old Chinese travelling salesman hotel or a short-time establishment, and sometimes you're surprised to find a really nice modern hotel in the most unlikely places. And every town has some local attraction. The hardest part, if you don't speak Thai, is to get some sort of explanation of what that local attraction is about. That's where Lonely Planet comes in, but they can't cover every single town in Thailand.

Every Thai town which is larger than about 10.000 inhabitants will have accomadations. Be it a Chinese style hotel to something more reasonable. You do not need a Lonly Planet for that. In almost every town there will be something to do or visit. Just be adventurous and do not try to plan your trip to much!

Waerth

Chainat is a pleasant town right on the river. Should be restaurants overlooking it (been 37 years since I frequented the place and there was one then). There is a major dam just south of town which is a nice stop and they have a yearly straw bird fair at end of rice harvest which is quite popular (and this may now be a permanent attraction - not sure). Wat Li on the route 311 to Ban Mi road just before Asia Highway/Sing Buri at Tha Khlong is a nice working Wat with a long history and small museum (Wat is on national registry) - it is my family Wat but really do believe it is a good example of upcountry ways.

thanks guys so much!!!

i took a chance and did hitch hike a small loop

311 to 205 was a nice little road

on the way back down 3196 i saw mountians/hills over to my left, that would be NE of lopuri

i think i want to explore this area next

any suggestions scenic roads hiking etc?

colino:

i dont see that town on my map, do you know the route number and does the hotel have air, is the hotel better than grungy?

actually the thing i hate the most is cockraoches, i saw big ones living in a room in a hotel here in lopuri, just checking the rooms out

what a dive, its next to the sri lanka (name?), the sri lanka would be my second choice from the nett hotel

cheap and pretty bare bones but realitively clean, air rooms were full, not exaclty sure of the names, sorry

for what its worth:

i have been to i think 17 countries and hitch hiked in all but one

i have been HH for over 30 years, never had a major problem, and it is still one of the most enjoyable experiences in my life

i can not believe how incredibly easy it is for me to HH in thailand

not only easy to get rides but they even go out of their way to take you somewhere

however they dont really get the idea of

i am not really sure where i am going, i am just looking

(language barrier)

really great day / experience today

any questions?

haha

Chainat is a pleasant town right on the river. Should be restaurants overlooking it (been 37 years since I frequented the place and there was one then). There is a major dam just south of town which is a nice stop and they have a yearly straw bird fair at end of rice harvest which is quite popular (and this may now be a permanent attraction - not sure). Wat Li on the route 311 to Ban Mi road just before Asia Highway/Sing Buri at Tha Khlong is a nice working Wat with a long history and small museum (Wat is on national registry) - it is my family Wat but really do believe it is a good example of upcountry ways.

Agreed Lopburi3, Chainat is a great little town. I lived & worked there for over 5 years. Plenty of restaurants along the river. The straw bird festival is still held every year & also the festival for the "Somme O" fruit (cross between a grapefruit & an orange. The bird park is worth a visit now it's just recently had a renovation. Now there's alot of choice for accomadation from the budget travellor to the new 5 star Chainatthani hotel recently opened. I still go back a couple of times a month because the GF is from there but I actually like going back :o

• 3 months later...

hello again

now back in lopuri

think we will take the train to takhli and then check out chai nat

having no luck at all locating tha rua

where exactly is it?

also now looking for recommendations from lopburi by train

any good / great places to go from lop by train?

• 4 months later...

went to tha rua today

lovely little town!

easy and cheap by train to lopuri at 715 pm, 6 baht!!!

only saw one (so so) hotel for 360 baht but not right in the town center

more like at the crossroads before you get to town junction

didn't seem like a nice place / location to stay

but again

lovely little town

looks like a festival with music and food booths on the river today

not sure how often they have this

lots of nice food stalls on a tree lined street near the train station

zero farang and tourists

except for one, today :D

anymore suggestions?

that one was a winner!!!