Are You Fussy About Your Rice Now That You've Been In Thailand Awhile?

sbk

Interesting.

I've lived in Thailand about 20 years and ate a lot of rice in San Francisco before that and am very particular about food quality, but I don't notice much difference between different types of rice.

I have to wonder if it's like the people who drink expensive bottled water that really comes from the tap for free! :o:D

A lot of people might not believe this, but water does taste different based on its source and mineral content. When I was in Afghanistan, all the water was bottled and brought in from different vendors. Some of the water was excellent, while others had a different taste and feel in one's mouth. One even seemed "chalky" for lack of a better word.

• 2 weeks later...

I never used to pay any attention but a few years ago I had a gf that I used to take out to restaurants regularly. As soon as the food arrived she would taste the rice, which I believe is the practice in some circles. Sometimes would screw up her face and pronounce disparagingly "Cheap rice" and that was usually a sign that she wasn't going to think much of the place or it cooking. I started noticing differences - and it does vary a lot - but I wouldn't claim to be an expert.

Interesting.

I've lived in Thailand about 20 years and ate a lot of rice in San Francisco before that and am very particular about food quality, but I don't notice much difference between different types of rice.

I have to wonder if it's like the people who drink expensive bottled water that really comes from the tap for free! :o:D

There is definitely a difference between cheap rice and expensive rice. Both taste and texture.

I am wondering if UG is a smoker? Either that or he has no taste buds :D

Interesting.

I have to wonder if it's like the people who drink expensive bottled water that really comes from the tap for free! :D:D

There is definitely a difference between cheap rice and expensive rice. Both taste and texture.

No taste more like! :o

Interesting.

I have to wonder if it's like the people who drink expensive bottled water that really comes from the tap for free! :D:D

rice is rice ,now a good jersey royal potato ,now thats food

Interesting.

I don't smoke, but I used to be a concierge in very expensive hotels in San Francisco - one of the most renown restauraunt cities in the world where I lived and ate out for many years - and the rich customers would follow me around to the different hotels I worked in because they were so pleased with my restaurant recomendations.

Makes me wonder just who has "no taste". :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Maybe the restaurants I eat in always use a fairly good quality of rice, so I don't notice? Once in a while, some rice tastes like it is not fully cooked to me, but that is about all the difference that I notice (other than the difference between sticky rice and Japanese rice and normal Thai rice).

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend recently bought a new small rice cooker just for her personal use as her mother cooks rice that is too strong??!!Couldn't detect a difference myself.She is very serious about her rice and often prefers a second bowl of rice to any other dish,when she is really hungry.I like sticky rice as I had an Isaan girlfriend in the past and became addicted.

Basmati is my favorite rice in Thailand, althought IMO the best rice comes from the Caspian Sea region.

I am not a fan of any of the Thai rices or the methods they use here to cook their rice.

Saffron is excellent when added to rice, just mix the saffron with a couple table spoons of water, and then add it to the rice after the rice is cooked.

I also cook rice differently than most

I soak the rice first for a minimum of 30 minutes.

I rinse at least 5 times, getting rid of most of the starch.

Boil until 50% done.

Drain and rinse with cold water, to stop it cooking further.

Then I put it back in the pot and add 1/4 cup of oil and some salt

and then Steam it for 45 minutes

When done, I add saffron before serving on the table

Enjoy :o

Remember, it's not just the type of rice, how it's cooked is also very important.

Rice cooked on an wood charcoal fire, tastes much better than rice cooked on a gas fire or an electric stove. :o

Remember, it's not just the type of rice, how it's cooked is also very important.

Rice cooked on an wood charcoal fire, tastes much better than rice cooked on a gas fire or an electric stove. :D

totally agree.

absolutely tastey.. :o

:D