Is Thailand Good For Kids?

RotyGirl

Next year we return to Thailand. I'm only too aware we face problems in finding a school we are going to be happy with. I know we are going to have to spend a lot of time working with our daughter to help her to reach a good academic standard. Thats what we do now anyway.

For the rest of it she will still be growing up in a society where manners and respect count for something, where there is a will to study. Hopefully we can make up for the deficiencies in the system. In the UK we would be constantly fighting against the peer pressure that the system exerts on many kids here so that even bright well meaning kids fall by the wayside.

I'm not suggesting the system in Thailand is better, but anyone with kids in the system here knows only too well its deeply flawed and falling academic standards are the least of the problems.

You should be honest and admit that you're planning to go to Thailand because it's you that has enough of the UK. Going to Thailand for the benefit of children is an ignorant stupidity.

And for a "society where manners and respect count for something".. I guess you have no clue. We Thais only respect those in higher positions, we wai friends, bosses, but we do not bother to wai the driver of our boss. And respect only for money, we have no problems with people dying on the streets of aids, we will not give Thai nationality to people in border regions who have been there for decades.

Just wait and see how much respect you will get in Thailand when your money will run out...

Sarawudt , you are not Thai.

I have made this presumption because you appear to have zero pride in your country , all of your postings are either anti-thai or anti-farang wishing to live here.

Discuss :o

Next year we return to Thailand. I'm only too aware we face problems in finding a school we are going to be happy with. I know we are going to have to spend a lot of time working with our daughter to help her to reach a good academic standard. Thats what we do now anyway.

For the rest of it she will still be growing up in a society where manners and respect count for something, where there is a will to study. Hopefully we can make up for the deficiencies in the system. In the UK we would be constantly fighting against the peer pressure that the system exerts on many kids here so that even bright well meaning kids fall by the wayside.

I'm not suggesting the system in Thailand is better, but anyone with kids in the system here knows only too well its deeply flawed and falling academic standards are the least of the problems.

You should be honest and admit that you're planning to go to Thailand because it's you that has enough of the UK. Going to Thailand for the benefit of children is an ignorant stupidity.

And for a "society where manners and respect count for something".. I guess you have no clue. We Thais only respect those in higher positions, we wai friends, bosses, but we do not bother to wai the driver of our boss. And respect only for money, we have no problems with people dying on the streets of aids, we will not give Thai nationality to people in border regions who have been there for decades.

Just wait and see how much respect you will get in Thailand when your money will run out...

I have made this presumption because you appear to have zero pride in your country , all of your postings are either anti-thai or anti-farang wishing to live here.

Chon, You may be right there but you gotta admit ,he has got it about as right as can be.

Respect is mostly a word that no one truly knows the meaning of, I have seen more true respect in a lot of other places.

It means nothing to me personally , but it is a hollow phrase here. I see respect starting with consideration to all others and you know yourself,if you live here, that it is non-existant. You will get more consideration from a farang than you will from a Thai.

The other day my wife and I were going into TOPLAND store and 4 students shoved the door open and my wife back,came out and walked off,an older farang grabed the door pulled it open and held it for my wife and myself to enter,then nodded to us and went out.

There's nothing wrong with sending your children to other countries to further their education, I myself was educated abroad as well. I have brothers and sisters that emigrated to the US and Canada. Not because they're not proud to be Thai, because there are better opportunities available in the west. We are only fortunate that we can benefit from these opportunities as we have the means for it. We don't need farang to tell us that we should be proud to be Thai, we can perfectly take good care of our country. I am not anti Thai, I am proud of my country that provides me freedom to live the way I want it. Freedom is Thailand's number one asset, but freedom only exists for those with either connections or money. This is also why my children are studying abroad, they should learn how to be judged on how they are and perform, not on their family and connections.

There are sacrifices that have to be made by living in Thailand.  One of them is you will have to spend much more of your time with your children....but is that really a sacrifice?

You may not like me saying this, Chuckd, but I think in ten or fifteen years you will probably discover that the sacrifice has been made by your daughter, not you.

By growing up here and being educated here, if that word even applies, she will have almost certainly have sacrificed a chance to live a good adult life anywhere else other than in Thailand. It may be very nice for her here today there in that little house outside Pattaya, pleasant and undemanding, but she will almost certainly be poorly equipped for life outside of Thailand when she grows up. Reread all the posts above and hear that theme repeated over and over again by all kinds of parents from all kinds of backgrounds.

Of course if you don't want your daughter to have good chance at a life outside of Thailand, I guess that's a different matter. But as for us, that's a limitation we weren't willing to place on our children.

I forgot to mention...She has spent six of her eleven years living in the Middle East attending American schools and having friends from such mundane places as Britain, Pakistan, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, US and many points in between. We have travelled throughout Europe and the Middle East but not to the US or Africa.

And we will enjoy "that little house in Pattaya".

Her education has not been neglected and, frankly, I rather resent your condescending attitude about it.

Her education has not been neglected and, frankly, I rather resent your condescending attitude about it.

I didn't say you had neglected your daughter's education. I said that children who are educated in Thailand are less well equipped for life outside of Thailand than are those children who are educated abroad.

If you consider that 'condescending,' you've probably found exactly the right country for you both to live in.

RE: Opportunities for Thais to study abroad ...

As I spend some time in Boston, where a great number of Thai students attend the many Universities, I have concluded (roughly) that about 50% would prefer to stay in the US after their studies and the other 50% look forward to their re-patriation home.

I think it is more likely to be a matter of family affairs and individual propensities than anything else.

I have also had the opportunity to meet quite a few Thai medical professionals who visit the Boston area medical centers (conferences, seminars, etc.) As one would expect, they are invariably gracious, intelligent and "riap-rawy."

This could have been a very worthwhile thread had it not deterioriated into personal attacks. :o Is it so difficult for some of you to "kreng-jai" the other participants of this forum?

There are sacrifices that have to be made by living in Thailand.  One of them is you will have to spend much more of your time with your children....but is that really a sacrifice?

You may not like me saying this, Chuckd, but I think in ten or fifteen years you will probably discover that the sacrifice has been made by your daughter, not you.

By growing up here and being educated here, if that word even applies, she will have almost certainly have sacrificed a chance to live a good adult life anywhere else other than in Thailand. It may be very nice for her here today there in that little house outside Pattaya, pleasant and undemanding, but she will almost certainly be poorly equipped for life outside of Thailand when she grows up. Reread all the posts above and hear that theme repeated over and over again by all kinds of parents from all kinds of backgrounds.

Of course if you don't want your daughter to have good chance at a life outside of Thailand, I guess that's a different matter. But as for us, that's a limitation we weren't willing to place on our children.

I forgot to mention...She has spent six of her eleven years living in the Middle East attending American schools and having friends from such mundane places as Britain, Pakistan, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, US and many points in between. We have travelled throughout Europe and the Middle East but not to the US or Africa.

And we will enjoy "that little house in Pattaya".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, Old Asia Hand says...."I didn't say you had neglected your daughter's education. I said that children who are educated in Thailand are less well equipped for life outside of Thailand than those children who are educated abroad.

If you found that 'condescending', you've probably found the right country for you both to live in."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OAH;

I just thought your entire quote should be posted so other readers can draw their own conclusions about your condescending attitude.

I have one question, however. Do you live in Thailand or have you ever lived in Thailand? You seem to have such disdain for Thailand. I cannot imagine you are living there.

Do you care to enlighten us or are we to draw our own conclusion based on your posts?

As a teacher in Thailand I have come to this conclusion with regards to my future child's education in Thailand (if that day comes):

Elementary & High School:

Dulwich International School

A challenging and diverse British developed curriculum taught by professional teachers directed by professional administrators.

Locations: Elementary & High School -> Phuket

Elementary -> Ko Samui (opens 2005)

Secondary

Canadian University

The yearly Dulwich tuition will be higher than that of Canadian Universities.

Mental Note: start saving now or win the lottery

I didn't say you had neglected your daughter's education. I said that children who are educated in Thailand are less well equipped for life outside of Thailand than are those children who are educated abroad.

If you consider that 'condescending,' you've probably found exactly the right country for you both to live in.

I feel sorry for your family. What kind of moral education are you providing your children if you spew out generalised rubbish like this. Hopefully your superior, narrow-minded attitude shows only in this regard.

Hopefully, you're not living here with such a spiteful attitude. If you are, then I feel sorry for everyone you encounter in this kingdom.

If you can't see the benefits of raising a bilingual child in a diverse, culturally rich land such as Thailand, then this country is much better off without you poisoning it with your presence.

I feel sorry for your family. What kind of moral education are you providing your children if you spew out generalised rubbish like this. Hopefully your superior, narrow-minded attitude shows only in this regard.

Hopefully, you're not living here with such a spiteful attitude. If you are, then I feel sorry for everyone you encounter in this kingdom.

If you can't see the benefits of raising a bilingual child in a diverse, culturally rich land such as Thailand, then this country is much better off without you poisoning it with your presence.

It must be the worms, even the affluent Thais send their children abroad. They do not see the 'benefits of raising a bilingual child in a diverse, culturally rich country." As a teacher you should be aware that standards need to be met.

International schools in Thailand do not prepare for bilingual standards. I'm sure you know how many hours Thai bilingual children recieve at international schools, don't you 'ajarn'?

So, children will leave international schools fluent in English and not capable of writing a decent letter in Thai, let alone passing the Thai language entrance examination of Thai government universities.

You seem to be very narrow minded with a strong opinion about people who make valid statements. YOu even go that far to say that Thailand is better off without some people, wow, a farang who thinks in the interest of Thailand. I think the Thais better take of their own country, there's no need for farang to tell Thais how they will be better off. :o

It must be the worms, even the affluent Thais send their children abroad. They do not see the 'benefits of raising a bilingual child in a diverse, culturally rich country." As a teacher you should be aware that standards need to be met.

International schools in Thailand do not prepare for bilingual standards. I'm sure you know how many hours Thai bilingual children recieve at international schools, don't you 'ajarn'?

So, children will leave international schools fluent in English and not capable of writing a decent letter in Thai, let alone passing the Thai language entrance examination of Thai government universities.

You seem to be very narrow minded with a strong opinion about people who make valid statements. YOu even go that far to say that Thailand is better off without some people, wow, a farang who thinks in the interest of Thailand. I think the Thais better take of their own country, there's no need for farang to tell Thais how they will be better off. :o

The difference between a Thai and a farang is that a farang can spot a dubious farang immediately. Takes one to know one.

Thai language is offered in International schools and is mandatory for fluent English students. That being said, Thai does take a back seat so to speak, thus some extra time will have to be devoted to studying Thai.

And, I've been a firm believer that parents should raise their own children opposed to shipping them off. Though, some children will benefit from a boarding environment provided they are of a mature age.

I haven't heard of outrageous extracurricular activities from the Regents - on the contrary, they currently proudly announce two of their students won scolarships in UK and US. But bring money, lots.

My nine year old step daughter boards at Regents in Pattaya. So far (1 year) I am impressed.

Bring about 450K baht a school year. :o

TH

My kids are at the Regents in Bangkok, which isn't as big a campus as the one in Pattaya, but they share the same headteacher.

Cost-wise it's not cheap, and getting to it in the morning traffic is 'fun', but it is a nice school, and I am perfectly happy with it.

If we were in the UK, the kids would probably be going to a state school unless we got some sort of scholarship. This is simply because state schools in the UK do actually provide a satisfactory education for the most part.