Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Updating personal details with the bank.

Featured Replies

Two days ago, I received a message from the bank asking me to visit any branch to update my details. They simply took a photo of my passport, scanning it on a small black device (which, honestly, I’d never seen before), confirmed my phone number, email, and employment information. They didn't ask for anything else; they didn't ask for a work permit or check my visa. I asked if that was all that was needed, and they said it was fine: i got a text message confirming the update. My question is: am I all set, or could they ask for further updates in the future or, even worse, freeze my account for more verification purposes? I’m asking because perhaps someone else has been through this. Thank you.

No mention of bank, that would have been useful info.

Kasikorn and Krungsri both asked for tax info, they already had visa info

  • Author
2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

No mention of bank, that would have been useful info.

My bad, sorry: GSB.

On 9/2/2026 at 8:33 AM, Sergo said:

Two days ago, I received a message from the bank asking me to visit any branch to update my details. They simply took a photo of my passport, scanning it on a small black device (which, honestly, I’d never seen before), confirmed my phone number, email, and employment information. They didn't ask for anything else; they didn't ask for a work permit or check my visa. I asked if that was all that was needed, and they said it was fine: i got a text message confirming the update. My question is: am I all set, or could they ask for further updates in the future or, even worse, freeze my account for more verification purposes? I’m asking because perhaps someone else has been through this. Thank you.

So they said it was fine. What's the problem?

Why worry about things that haven't happened?

Edited by Moonlover

On 9/2/2026 at 3:33 AM, Sergo said:

Two days ago, I received a message from the bank asking me to visit any branch to update my details. They simply took a photo of my passport, scanning it on a small black device (which, honestly, I’d never seen before), confirmed my phone number, email, and employment information. They didn't ask for anything else; they didn't ask for a work permit or check my visa. I asked if that was all that was needed, and they said it was fine: i got a text message confirming the update. My question is: am I all set, or could they ask for further updates in the future or, even worse, freeze my account for more verification purposes? I’m asking because perhaps someone else has been through this. Thank you.

Probably the same as some Western banks have required: Proof of being a real living physical person...😉

My Danish bank asked for that some years back. I argued that I had been physically proven for almost every single bank-day for 25 years, as I used the bank for both my business and private accounts — branch manager and area management had even invited me for lunch several times... — but that seemed to absolute of no interest now, after I settled in Thailand. Closest branch was in Singapore, and had they asked for my proof just a few months earlier, I could have done it there, as I had a meeting in their branch down there. However, they would gladly wait for my next physical bank-presence until I one again visited any of their branches in company, together with my passport...👍

That happened some years later in Copenhagen: I walked in and said that the bank needed physical proof of me and handed my passport to the assistent, who gave me a nod, walked to a photocopy machine, snapped a copy of my passport, handed it back with a polite smile and: "All done" — seemed like they were used to handle that kind of requests...😄

Yea had to do that at the TTB one week ago, showed my Passport and they checked if my Email and Phone number were still same . OK Done.

On 9/2/2026 at 8:33 AM, Sergo said:

Two days ago, I received a message from the bank asking me to visit any branch to update my details. They simply took a photo of my passport, scanning it on a small black device (which, honestly, I’d never seen before), confirmed my phone number, email, and employment information. They didn't ask for anything else; they didn't ask for a work permit or check my visa. I asked if that was all that was needed, and they said it was fine: i got a text message confirming the update. My question is: am I all set, or could they ask for further updates in the future or, even worse, freeze my account for more verification purposes? I’m asking because perhaps someone else has been through this. Thank you.

Did they scan your face? They seem obsessed with this lately.

  • Author
On 9/4/2026 at 9:29 AM, Moonlover said:

So they said it was fine. What's the problem?

Why worry about things that haven't happened?

I can accept being notified of a possible suspension if I don't update my details; however, given that I’ve read about cases where accounts are blocked without warning, that could cause problems.

  • Author
On 9/4/2026 at 2:22 PM, timendres said:

Did they scan your face? They seem obsessed with this lately.

No.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.