Wi Fi Security Issues In Chiangmai Thailand

devaram

Im running an e-commerce business for 4 years now out of my small apartment in chiangmai muang using local public internet shops to hardwire my old laptop to the internet.

I almost got True internet installed one time but then they said there were no ports available on my street.

Recently I made a contract with ttnt to install the phone wire so I could use their adsl but then they refused to run a wire to the third floor because the technician said he couldnt do it.

After that I got interested in gprs and still view it as an option but today I found my dream apartment on the outskirts of the city near a country club (I dont play golf but the view is incredible) and as a plus the apartment building has wi fi.

Now Im reading on the internet about wif fi security and software that can be used as protection for hacking and im already almost sold on jiwire and will probably use it but im wondering from those of you who have experience with apartment building wi fi systems how insecure are they in a place like chiangmai thailand.

Is it a rare thing for a wifi system to be hacked in thailand or is it very common?

Sounds like in the US lots of people are just driving around in cars with special equipment looking for systems to hack into..

Anybody use a wifi system in an apartment building or have ideas about wifi security as it applies especially to Thailand and Chiangmai in particular id like to hear anything you have to say. Anybody have an experience of being hacked?

Seems like an apartment building would be especially insecure as a hacker could be anyone living in the building...

Im running an e-commerce business for 4 years now out of my small apartment in chiangmai muang using local public internet shops to hardwire my old laptop to the internet.

I almost got True internet installed one time but then they said there were no ports available on my street.

Recently I made a contract with ttnt to install the phone wire so I could use their adsl but then they refused to run a wire to the third floor because the technician said he couldnt do it.

After that I got interested in gprs and still view it as an option but today I found my dream apartment on the outskirts of the city near a country club (I dont play golf but the view is incredible) and as a plus the apartment building has wi fi.

Now Im reading on the internet about wif fi security and software that can be used as protection for hacking and im already almost sold on jiwire and will probably use it but im wondering from those of you who have experience with apartment building wi fi systems how insecure are they in a place like chiangmai thailand.

Is it a rare thing for a wifi system to be hacked in thailand or is it very common?

Sounds like in the US lots of people are just driving around in cars with special equipment looking for systems to hack into..

Anybody use a wifi system in an apartment building or have ideas about wifi security as it applies especially to Thailand and Chiangmai in particular id like to hear anything you have to say. Anybody have an experience of being hacked?

Seems like an apartment building would be especially insecure as a hacker could be anyone living in the building...

If the apartment has public wifi for the residents, you can gain some added security by connecting to the public wifi via a wireless bridge instead of connecting your PC directly to the apartment's wifi. Doing that essentially puts another router and firewall between you and any hackers that might be living in your apartment building. That helps if you're worried about people breaking in; if your worried out the data going out from your PC being intercepted then you might want to sign up for a VPN service.

Edited by kdvsn