Chances Of A Us Tourist Visa

I'm just curious what other members believe my chances are of getting a U.S. Tourist visa for my Thai girlfriend, before I fork over $100 for the application fee.

I am 25 yo and have worked for 3 years in Asia. 1 year, year legally (with wp and B visa) at 2 different Thai employers (an international school & also a beach resort); and 2 years in India at an American-based IT company. For the 2 years, I worked based out of India, but usually returned to Thailand and worked remotely on short 1-2 week breaks every other month or so. A year and a half ago I started bringing along my Thai girlfriend for my 2-3 month stays in India.

She is 27 yo, with a child and elderly parents. She worked at a thai massage shop (she has wat po massage certificates and such). For the last 1.5 years she has not worked and has only been a housepartner to me, spending about 3/4th of her time with me and the other part at home in Nongkhai. She does not own any land, but is the youngest of her siblings with elderly parents and a young child.

She has 4 India visas with entry stamps that match the time I've spent in India. I have an India business & employment visa along with an expired Thai B visa (from my employment in Thailand) along with Immigration stamps indicating my employment in my passport. We also traveled to Laos, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka together.

I have a stack full of pictures of her and I together while traveling, and we've lived together in India cumulatively for over a year. What do you think are her chances of getting a tourist visa?

I have enough money to pay for everything, but I don't think the US embassy cares about that. I plan to stay at my current employer and work from Asia indefinitely (and I would plan on providing a letter from my company stating that). For my job I travel about twice a year to the US office.

My parents live in San Francisco.

She has a US brokerage with about 45k worth of assets in it which I gifted her. The brokerage account is setup in her name as a foreign national (using a W-8BEN). Would it help presenting this as additional evidence, saying that if she did have any intension on immigrating to the US, she would be liable to pay US taxes on trading profits? (The embassy website says that financial information presented during interviews is confidential)

I have a good life in Asia, but my salary would not be enough to support 2 in the U.S....would this be further evidence that we plan to return to Thailand?

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

--matt

Edited by MattFS218

Second hand opinions from TV members postulating what any given individual embassy officer would do with the information your provided is pure guess work.

Keep your eye on the essential requirement that you must establish by a substantial margin, the burden of proof that your Thai g/f "has a compelling reason to return to her home country", prior to the expiration of her visa. Each and every "proof" of that you can muster helps.

By your "story", it was not clear to me what country she is going to claim she has substantial ties to. Likewise, her relationship with you seems very strong, but do you have long stay visas and work history in Thailand?

You might start by listing by order of importance, what you think her "compelling reasons" are to return to Thailand and then evaluate your list yourself against the criteria that seems to have been sucessful before, ie:

1. Long time job with responsible company with designated vacation times which she will use to visit the U.S.

2. Home ownership or family obligations she has to fulfill upon her return.

3. Steady progress through University with classes and continuing obligations toward a degree to return to finish.

4. Committed relationship with falang who is based in Thailand with long stay visas and steady work history and future, such that her heart will cause her to return with that falang, who will accompany her on the trip and who is her sole support.

5. Living together for a year or more in Thailand with love interest who is tied to Thailand with long standing job.

As you can see from this partial list, you must convince the embassy official through circumstance of your g/fs overriding motivation to return to Thailand and that her love interest accompanying her likewise has a commitment to return to Thailand.

What your actually fighting is the mind set, mandated by law, that the embassy officer begin the interview with your g/f, that is, she will overstay her visa in the U.S. and she is obligated to overturn that mind set, the burden is on her.

As he begins the interview, the embassy officer will be thinking along these lines, "Young Thai lady with no real employment or career in Thailand wants to accompany a U.S.citizen in his return to the U.S. to live and work, since he has no real motivation to return to Thailand. He is just looking for another country to work in and his Thai g/f is willing to accompany him there. This time, it is the U.S."

Of course it is harsh and perhaps not correct but that is the mindset you must turn around in your supporting documents and her interview.

Good luck, it is a tall mountain indeed, but it can be done. Research in T.V. will show you many posts with the various methods used in the past to convince.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

It’s an unusual storey, but in theory you can prove ties outside the US (letter from you employer is critical to this) and she can prove ties to you. I would not mention the US brokerage account, that could construed as ties to the US. I would give it a shot, but prepare carefully with the thought of proving from the perspective of the interviewing consular official she will not overstay in the US and be sure to go to interview with her.

Have you thought of applying in India? Thai’s living and applying outside Thailand have very high success rate, and she is basically living in India,

TH

I'm just curious what other members believe my chances are of getting a U.S. Tourist visa for my Thai girlfriend, before I fork over $100 for the application fee.

I am 25 yo and have worked for 3 years in Asia. 1 year, year legally (with wp and B visa) at 2 different Thai employers (an international school & also a beach resort); and 2 years in India at an American-based IT company. For the 2 years, I worked based out of India, but usually returned to Thailand and worked remotely on short 1-2 week breaks every other month or so. A year and a half ago I started bringing along my Thai girlfriend for my 2-3 month stays in India.

She is 27 yo, with a child and elderly parents. She worked at a thai massage shop (she has wat po massage certificates and such). For the last 1.5 years she has not worked and has only been a housepartner to me, spending about 3/4th of her time with me and the other part at home in Nongkhai. She does not own any land, but is the youngest of her siblings with elderly parents and a young child.

She has 4 India visas with entry stamps that match the time I've spent in India. I have an India business & employment visa along with an expired Thai B visa (from my employment in Thailand) along with Immigration stamps indicating my employment in my passport. We also traveled to Laos, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka together.

I have a stack full of pictures of her and I together while traveling, and we've lived together in India cumulatively for over a year. What do you think are her chances of getting a tourist visa?

I have enough money to pay for everything, but I don't think the US embassy cares about that. I plan to stay at my current employer and work from Asia indefinitely (and I would plan on providing a letter from my company stating that). For my job I travel about twice a year to the US office.

My parents live in San Francisco.

She has a US brokerage with about 45k worth of assets in it which I gifted her. The brokerage account is setup in her name as a foreign national (using a W-8BEN). Would it help presenting this as additional evidence, saying that if she did have any intension on immigrating to the US, she would be liable to pay US taxes on trading profits? (The embassy website says that financial information presented during interviews is confidential)

I have a good life in Asia, but my salary would not be enough to support 2 in the U.S....would this be further evidence that we plan to return to Thailand?

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

--matt

I dont want to discourage you but I think it will be a tough sell getting her a visa to the USA. The big point that you have to make is that she has no intention of staying in the US. To do that you have to show them (the consulate) a lot of reasons why she will come back like a job, owns a house, parents/family to support. Being married to her would certainly help. Have you considered that? It's very easy to apply for a visa and is done completly on-line as you probably know. Good luck.

My guess is that you'll have a 50/50 chance of getting the visa approved. As stated in previous posts, mostly depends on the mindset of the consular at the time of interview. For a fact, the more proof of reason to return to thailand increases the chance of visa approval.

I'm not sure you personally can be present at the interview. Maybe they will call you in separtely. I've read in detail everything you posted about yourself and your return to your job in India. But that is no guarantee to the consular that you will actually return. The consular may decide in his/her own mind that it's just partially false information to help visa approval. You have to think the way the consular are trained to think.

It doesn't hurt to try. You may get lucky and she may end up getting a 10 yr visa.

Go for it, wish you luck.

It’s an unusual storey, but in theory you can prove ties outside the US (letter from you employer is critical to this) and she can prove ties to you. I would not mention the US brokerage account, that could construed as ties to the US. I would give it a shot, but prepare carefully with the thought of proving from the perspective of the interviewing consular official she will not overstay in the US and be sure to go to interview with her.

Have you thought of applying in India? Thai’s living and applying outside Thailand have very high success rate, and she is basically living in India,

TH

Interesting idea about applying here in Mumbai. Although she probably has access to more documentation in Thailand, do you think her chances are really better? In Thailand I assume they have access to criminal record checks and such. If I have her interview in Mumbai, and she gets refused do they put any sort of stamp in her passport?

TH

Interesting idea about applying here in Mumbai. Although she probably has access to more documentation in Thailand, do you think her chances are really better? In Thailand I assume they have access to criminal record checks and such. If I have her interview in Mumbai, and she gets refused do they put any sort of stamp in her passport?

I would send an e-mail asking what are their residency requirements for non-Indians to apply for a visa while in India. From the consulates perspective, it is pretty easy to assume the applicant does not intend to stay in the US for an someone already living outside Thailand with a US citizen working in that country. My wife got a visa outside Thailand with nothing more then a letter from my employer.

The consulates do not do police checks or anything. I have never heard of any stamp being put in passport when visa is refused, but then I don't know anyone that was refused either.

TH

I disagree with this statement "BTW your relationship has no bearing on this sort of visa."

From the extreme on one end of the scale of marriage to the other end of casual dating, somewhere along that scale of involvement with a foreign based love interest has to have some impact on a consular officer. A three year live in relationship with a foreign based partner, who supplies all the necessaries of life without the g/f having to work, certainly suggests she is more likely to return to live in this situation than work in the U.S. in a Thai restaurant.

I disagree with this statement "BTW your relationship has no bearing on this sort of visa."

From the extreme on one end of the scale of marriage to the other end of casual dating, somewhere along that scale of involvement with a foreign based love interest has to have some impact on a consular officer. A three year live in relationship with a foreign based partner, who supplies all the necessaries of life without the g/f having to work, certainly suggests she is more likely to return to live in this situation than work in the U.S. in a Thai restaurant.

Perhaps for a fiance/marriage visa, not so certain about a tourist visa. However its always up to the discretion of the consulate, so who the fk knows.

The information you gave about your relationship actually provides very scant evidence of why she would return to the glorious "Land 'O Thais" IF the visa was granted.

*Previous job in massage parlor (even Wat Po style)

*No job for over 1 1/2 years

*No ownership of land, home

*No business interest in this country

I didn't see how much she had in her thai bank account, or how long it was in there but it could also be a factor. I would agree with the other posters; leave out the US Brokerage account. It could be argued she could/would use the money to remain in the US after her visa expired.

You don't mention her education or grasp of English language skills. If she's finished M-6 (high school) it could be a plus, but not necessarily. Education is something they do look at, even on-going or continuing education. I know one visa that was granted based on the need to return to this country to resume study in a private school. It could be the exception rather than the rule, I dunno.

Having matching visa's to India (another third world country); while novel, does little to prove she would not overstay after arriving in a real first world country.

REMEMBER: The burden of proof is on HER (you) to show that she has 'sufficient thais' to this country to return at the end of her visa, and NOTHING else. They don't care if she's a good person, if the Sun & Moon revolve around her, or if she is the light of your life. They want to know she'll leave the US when it's time for her to go. The trick is to prove to them she will leave. The embassy staff operates from the all too valid premise that a person from a third world country will most likely overstay their visa. You must prove that will not be the case.

I have cause to visit the American Embassy quite regularly, and believe me it is a motley crew of too old of men with their all too young (in)significant others in tow. Sometimes it looks like the parking lot of the Nana Hotel. I will concede your ages have little disparity, but that is what you're up against. I believe the marriage visa could probably be your best bet but even it may prove sketchy.

Above all, when you are there DON'T let it get personal; don't get mad, rant, etc. It has absolutely nothing to do with you, nor are they singling you out for different treatment. It is just about her and their perception her likelihood of returning to the glorious "Land 'O Thais" when the visa ends. For the most part it is pretty much a by the book, by the letter, deal in the granting of visas. Officers do have discretion but will NOT go out on a limb to approve a sketchy applicant if she doesn't meet the requirements; no matter how heart warming or wrenching their story may be.

Read everything you can on the US Embassy site, and this forum about the requirements. Good Luck, let us know how it works out.

Edited by tod-daniels

Having matching visa's to India (another third world country); while novel, does little to prove she would not overstay after arriving in a real first world country.

Not really too novel, done all the time, also her living India in a long established provable relationship with some one employed there IMHO would go a long way to show her intent to only visit the US.

I have cause to visit the American Embassy quite regularly, and believe me it is a motley crew of too old of men with their all too young (in)significant others in tow. Sometimes it looks like the parking lot of the Nana Hotel. I will concede your ages have little disparity, but that is what you're up against. I believe the marriage visa could probably be your best bet but even it may prove sketchy.

I too have spent some time at the consulate, and though there is indeed a "few too old of men with their all too young (in)significant others in tow", mostly what I have seen is the some of the thousands of Thais that are given visas for both tourism and business (of which my employer has sent some 50 Thais to the US in the 18 months).

Above all, when you are there DON'T let it get personal; don't get mad, rant, etc. It has absolutely nothing to do with you, nor are they singling you out for different treatment. It is just about her and their perception her likelihood of returning to the glorious "Land 'O Thais" when the visa ends. For the most part it is pretty much a by the book, by the letter, deal in the granting of visas. Officers do have discretion but will NOT go out on a limb to approve a sketchy applicant if she doesn't meet the requirements; no matter how heart warming or wrenching their story may be.

Read everything you can on the US Embassy site, and this forum about the requirements. Good Luck, let us know how it works out.

Very good. though extremely cynical advice.

TH

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, I was successful in getting my thai girlfriend a tourist visa....I'm assuming she will be given the standard 10-year multiple entry visa since the consular did not say otherwise, and it only took him a few questions and glances at our passports to approve the visa (I had a huge stack of supporting documents he did not even look at).

I'd say based on my situation, others in a similar situation would have a good chance of getting a tourist visa. The fact my Thai gf had been to India 4 times and that I had long term visas both in India and Thailand was enough to seal the deal without any glance at the the evidence it took me such a long time to prepare...

Thanks to all those who gave advice. I would disagree with some other comments about the US embassy being filled with foreigners and their bar girls...when I went early on Monday morning, it mostly Thai's applying alone except for 2 foreigners along with their spouses near the immigrant visa windows.

One thing I would note is that I'd never been to the Bangkok embassy before and upon entering I found it to be rather busy with many appointments. The appointments are done thru a glass window...they must process like 200+ interviews a day.

--matt

Just an update, I was successful in getting my thai girlfriend a tourist visa....I'm assuming she will be given the standard 10-year multiple entry visa since the consular did not say otherwise, and it only took him a few questions and glances at our passports to approve the visa (I had a huge stack of supporting documents he did not even look at).

I'd say based on my situation, others in a similar situation would have a good chance of getting a tourist visa. The fact my Thai gf had been to India 4 times and that I had long term visas both in India and Thailand was enough to seal the deal without any glance at the the evidence it took me such a long time to prepare...

Thanks to all those who gave advice. I would disagree with some other comments about the US embassy being filled with foreigners and their bar girls...when I went early on Monday morning, it mostly Thai's applying alone except for 2 foreigners along with their spouses near the immigrant visa windows.

One thing I would note is that I'd never been to the Bangkok embassy before and upon entering I found it to be rather busy with many appointments. The appointments are done thru a glass window...they must process like 200+ interviews a day.

--matt

If you got your shit together, your girl will usually get the visa

my wife is 20, I am 30 - she never went to school, never had a job besides farming rice, cant speak english and zero assets aside from what I have given her - but the US embassy granted her a tourist visa because I am in fair financial standing and our relationship is legitimate.