1st Time In Thailand Dangerous To Travel Alone?

rachelt

hi all,

I'm new to this forum so just getting used to manouvering my way around the topics.. im heading to thailand staying one night in bankok then possibly 6 nights in phuket or koh samui. wodering if it comfortable for myself a young female to travel alone in these areas.. given i havnt been to thailand before however iam a lover of bali so have an idea that the culture maybe similar and not as daunting as going for the first to either countries any help would be much appreciated.. travelling on december 3rd into bankok if that helps ?

Thanks rachel

( young aussie traveller)

hi all,

I'm new to this forum so just getting used to manouvering my way around the topics.. im heading to thailand staying one night in bankok then possibly 6 nights in phuket or koh samui. wodering if it comfortable for myself a young female to travel alone in these areas.. given i havnt been to thailand before however iam a lover of bali so have an idea that the culture maybe similar and not as daunting as going for the first to either countries any help would be much appreciated.. travelling on december 3rd into bankok if that helps ?

Thanks rachel

It's safe as long as you use your common sense just like at home!!

hi all,

Thanks rachel

Welcome to Thailand and ThaiVisa.

Thailand is certainly one of the safest destinations.

As already suggested use common sense and you'll be fine.

If I were you I would also consider Krabi - stunning scenery! Highly recommended!

Enjoy your stay.

cheers and good luck

onzestan

Edited by onzestan

HI Rachel

Yes, Thailand is a pretty safe place if you keep your wits about you. If something sounds too good to be true, IT IS.

Be aware that the locals aren't the only ones determined to part you from your cash. Hard up foreigners have been known to scam their fellow countrymen to get a few bob.

Never accept free drinks or snacks from anyone.

You'll be fine.

Happy holiday!!

Big A

It's gonna be a fun trip in Thailand but just be aware that you're travelling to where you have never been and don't let the same ol smiley fool you when it comes to food/ride/shopping, oh one more thing 'girls'. I see you have been to Bali and this SEA it won't be any problem for you to get around and know the people and country. Expect worse so whenever happens you won't get disappointed.

Travel Safe.

I travelled alone in Thailand, and I was fine. You have to use common sense, just like at home. Thai men are generally respectful, I had very little problems with sexual harrassment, and felt safe most of the time.

Don't get drunk by yourself, or in the company of people you don't trust.

Listen to your instincts about people.

Try not to take taxis alone late at night, especially when drunk. If you have to, chat on your mobile phone, so that the taxi driver knows that someone knows where you are.

FYI, it's not acceptable in Thai society for Thai men to touch Thai women they aren't close to, so it's fair to act really offended if you get any unwanted touches -- they know what they're doing is not ok.

I'd be particularly careful about late night taxis/drinking on the islands. The few times I felt really unsafe in Thailand were on the islands, and my worst experiences with random Thais were with taxi drivers on the islands. So many of them are soooo dodgy. (Don't get me wrong, there's lots of great Thai people) Once I got stuck in town after dark, and had to take a taxi back through the jungle, by myself -- I honestly feared for my life. You also have to watch out for the drunk ones. When I was on KPG, 6 people died in a drunk-driving taxi accident. When I can, I try talking to my driver for a few moments before I get on, to at least see that he's not TOO drunk or high. If I find a good one, I try to take the same one when I can.

Don't be too scared though. If you have some street smarts and use common sense, you'll be fine. I felt safer by myself in Thailand than I felt travelling n some U.S. cities.

Edited by canadiangirl