Chang Beer - Why Does It Make Me Feel Absolutely Ill The Next Day?

h5n1

A brewer friend of mine told me that many of the beers in Asia use an accelerated brewing process and in order to slow the process down when it is complete they use Formaldehyde! This he said is the main headache ingredient.

Formaldehyde was banned in Thailand decades ago.

Ok. And this place being the bastion of consumer rights that it is, you'd put money on that? :D

There is something in Thai beers; Chang; Singha; Leo; etc, that gives you a worse hangover than foreign brands, and it isn't just higher alcohol content. Bearing in mind that the local mentality towards drinking beer is mostly "whatever gets you pissed quickest, cheaply." :o

Edited by kmart

As far as I know Formaldehyde is not being used since decades, and is not being used at Beer Chang as well. The reason for headaches is the brewing process, if the brew has enough time to convert into "good" alcohol no headache, if accelerated and prematurely stopped some alcohols are still being in the form of methyl alcohol that do cause headaches. Since Beer Chang is a low cost brew I believe that time is a main factor. Been at the brewery, very professional for sure, owner is filthy rich so very commercial for sure as well. I for myself stick with the Leo, no headache for up to 4 bottles :o

Formaldehyde was banned in Thailand decades ago.

Ok. And this place being the bastion of consumer rights that it is, you'd put money on that? :o

No, but adding it illegally would not be so easy for a large company like Chang. Anyone outside catches the wind and they'd be sued for billions by their rivals.

The new Chang Draft , in bottles (yes - I know !) , is slightly weaker and smoother, while still retaining a very pleasant flavour.

God Forbid The Thought , but is it remotely possible, that we're getting older and less-able to hold our beer ? Surely not - but I shall continue to research the matter ! :D

:o

Last night after seven hours on Hong Kong San Mig I feel awful. Funny thing happened after a similar beano on Chang...................must be a connection. I just can't put my finger on it.

Was there rain both times, might be the weather? Eat the same snacks? Might have had pesticide on the insects.

The new Chang Draft , in bottles (yes - I know !) , is slightly weaker and smoother, while still retaining a very pleasant flavour.

God Forbid The Thought , but is it remotely possible, that we're getting older and less-able to hold our beer ? Surely not - but I shall continue to research the matter ! :D

I drink BeerLao @ Tuskers CM. But Heineken @ Home.

apparently, Chang (thaibev) is releasing a premium beer to go head to head with Heineken soon.

Be interesting to see if its sucessful.

Last night after seven hours on Hong Kong San Mig I feel awful. Funny thing happened after a similar beano on Chang...................must be a connection. I just can't put my finger on it.

Was there rain both times, might be the weather? Eat the same snacks? Might have had pesticide on the insects.

I've worked around two of the Chang breweries. Very good setup, still got Danish consultants riding around on bicycles and the chief brewmaster trained in New Zealand. I was surprised at the large amounts of glutinous rice fermented to make the alcohol. Don't know if this would have anything to do with hangovers as I thought alcohol was alcohol.

All the cheaper beers (Archa, Leo, Chang) are surely made of malted rice, I don't believe this is causing the hangovers. Better taste of a Chang draft is probably because bottled beers are usually pasteurized (just like milk, heated up for a short period) and this has a negative effect but increases the shelf life, Try drinking a little less, may reduce the hang overs :o

The reason you feel ill the next day.....It is such a simple thing and no one has picked it...

You go to bed happy and wake up crook.....the only thing you have done is sleep...therefore without a doubt it is not chemicals, preservatives or brewing process.....ITS THE BLOODY SLEEP

Seriously....as one guy has suggested....drink water throughout before going to bed....hangovers are caused by dehydration....nothing more and nothing less...

The strength of the beer dictates how much you can drink before passing out.

Personally prefer Leo over Chang but that is just a taste thing....got a liking for Heineken now though.

Thanks for all your opinions. I had heard this myth for a decade = Formaldehyde but how could this be also I do not understand the alcohol levels in flux as Carlsberg is a huge minority owner.

Anyway, I only drink it on draught any more, only when I'm looking at a different go-go bar.

I do have alergies, that is most interesting. But what in Chang gives me an reaction not present in other beers?

What is interesting is that by and large most of you have the similar experience with it.

Yes, I usually drink water (not enough) and often take paracetomol. Drinking beer with ice may slow down my drinking but tastes awful imo.

Its not just a hangover, its a fog that often lasts all day (used to when I drank it often at least). Now, its just a one-off in a bar on draught. I wish everyone would switch their draught beers out. Many bars I wont go on Walking St becasue of the Chang draught.

Thank you all -

Edited by h5n1

Beacuse Chang is awful and who knows what is actually in it !

A few years back, a doctor from Norway took back a bottle of Thai whiskey and had it analysed. It contained chemicals banned in most parts of the world, maybe some of those are in Chang :o cheers.

It would be interesting to test Chang and Archa for formaldehyde content, etc. Any TV members have access to an FTIR or similar spectro-photometric equipment? A resultant spectrum could be uploaded in a discrete manner; I mean, without actually naming the brew(s) in so many words.